Solar battery tender

/ Solar battery tender #21  
If you're still looking for a solution it should be simple and I can go out to the barn and look up my charge regulator for my 35 watt panel.

Solar panel + not-too-expensive 3a regulator kept my battery alive for over 10 years. No off or on, it just responds to voltages I think.

Caveat: this was a deep cycle battery in a solo setup for powering non-engine type stuff. (12v tools and such)

/ Solar battery tender #22  
If you're still looking for a solution it should be simple and I can go out to the barn and look up my charge regulator for my 35 watt panel.
Solar panel + not-too-expensive 3a regulator kept my battery alive for over 10 years. No off or on, it just responds to voltages I think.
Caveat: this was a deep cycle battery in a solo setup for powering non-engine type stuff. (12v tools and such)

Thanks! We don't see the much of the sun here and since this building is without power, are looking at this machine. We won't get 15 watts from this machine! What do you think??

Amazon.com : Sun Energise 3?W 12V Solar Panel Kits- 3? Watt Mono Crystalline Solar Panel + Intelligent 1?A Charge Controller with Dusk to Dawn Control + Cable Adapters for Off Grid Boat, Marine, Trailer, Cabin : Garden & Outdoor

/ Solar battery tender #23  
Thanks! We don't see the much of the sun here and since this building is without power, are looking at this machine. We won't get 15 watts from this machine! What do you think??

Amazon.com : Sun Energise 3?W 12V Solar Panel Kits- 3? Watt Mono Crystalline Solar Panel + Intelligent 1?A Charge Controller with Dusk to Dawn Control + Cable Adapters for Off Grid Boat, Marine, Trailer, Cabin : Garden & Outdoor

Really hard to tell. All I can say is this stuff is so much cheaper than it was in the 90's because the cost of solar has gone down so much.

Ultimately all the technology is really the solar panel itself. My Siemen's 35 watt panel is a work of art, it has crossed my mind to hang it on the wall.

Beyond that, you just have some cabling from the panel to the charge controller so you don't overcharge the battery, and from the charge controller to the battery. So collecting the power is simple! It's what you do with it after that that can be a challenge. Only one thing to remember, DC voltage drops a lot per foot of cable, so you want the cables connecting panel <-> controller <-> battery to be as short as possible.

/ Solar battery tender #24  
As for calculating the right size solar to yield the needed watt-hours of energy per day, I can't comment too much on that. It will depend on your latitude, percentage of sunny days, placement w.r.t. facing the sun, etc. There's probably some constant or formula for calculating the energy lost by the time it gets stored too.

/ Solar battery tender #25  

There are plenty of used solar panels designed exactly for this purpose. You used to be able to find surplus VW ones with 12V plugs already attached on Ebay all day long for $5.

Last edited:
   / Solar battery tender #27  
I purchased a battery maintainer from Harbor Freight

I just clip it to my little lawn tractor and instead of lasting 1 to 2 years I can get 3 to 4 years keeping the battery charged up

willy

/ Solar battery tender #28  
Depending on the surface you want to install the solar panels on. Personally, I have mine installed on the roof. I have two medium-size panels, and to be honest, I am happy with them. Still, I am not a professional in this field, so I recommend you speak with someone more experienced than me in this field. For instance, you can get in touch with the guys from dragonsbreathsolar.co.uk .This, the company from where I got my solar panels, so I assure you that the services offered by these guys are on top.

/ Solar battery tender #29  
I emailed Deltran (Battery Tender brand), looking for a solar powered charger for a dump trailer that is parked in an area w/o electricity. This was the conversation.

Dennis,
You will want to look at the 17 watt or the 35 watt panel depending on the amp hour rating on your battery or batteries.
These panels are not vibration or shock proof. They are weatherproof.
Thank you for reaching out to Deltran.

---------- Forwarded message ---------

Date: Sun, Dec 5, 2021 at 12:21 PM
Subject: Customer Request: Dennis D
To: <support@deltran-global.com>

First name: Dennis
Last name: D
Email: dowsauto@icloud.com
Customer message: Do you offer a weather proof solar charger that I could use on my dump trailer to keep the battery charged when it is setting without electricity near by? Would the windshield one work or would being exposed to the weather kill it. Love your tenders I have 4 of them. Thanks, Dennis D
--
Thank you,

Customer Service
Deltran USA, LLC
801 E. International Speedway Blvd.
DeLand FL 32724
386-736-7900

/ Solar battery tender #30  
I emailed Deltran (Battery Tender brand), looking for a solar powered charger for a dump trailer that is parked in an area w/o electricity. This was the conversation.

Dennis,
You will want to look at the 17 watt or the 35 watt panel depending on the amp hour rating on your battery or batteries.
These panels are not vibration or shock proof. They are weatherproof.
Thank you for reaching out to Deltran.

---------- Forwarded message ---------

Date: Sun, Dec 5, 2021 at 12:21 PM
Subject: Customer Request: Dennis D
To: <support@deltran-global.com>

First name: Dennis
Last name: D
Email: dowsauto@icloud.com
Customer message: Do you offer a weather proof solar charger that I could use on my dump trailer to keep the battery charged when it is setting without electricity near by? Would the windshield one work or would being exposed to the weather kill it. Love your tenders I have 4 of them. Thanks, Dennis D
--
Thank you,

Customer Service
Deltran USA, LLC
801 E. International Speedway Blvd.
DeLand FL 32724
386-736-7900
If you just want to keep the charge topped off, you don't need a 35 watt panel. If you want to recharge a deep cycle battery after it's had light use, then a 35 watt panel will do that nicely.
Unless you're buying some el-cheapo panel for use on a backpack or in your car, they'll be weather proofed. I have a 35 watt panel I bought in the 90's (Siemans or some such), it's a thing of beauty, worthy of hanging on the wall, well sealed. Buy a commercial 35 watt panel, a 3 amp charge controller, and you can wire up whatever kind of enclosure you like.

(Not suggesting that's what you need, just that it's easy). The thing you wouldn't want to do is try to use too little solar power to recharge a big battery, especially the CCA batteries to start a car. It'd be too slow, and the battery would degrade in a low charge state.