So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe #11  
At work we build a ton of boulder egresses on new construction with a PC30 Komatsu or more recently a Bobcat E35 both with thumbs. If you're talking legitimate 3ft rocks in all dimensions then you definitely need a bigger machine. If you're talking 3ft in the widest and only ones that'll be on the bottom row you may be OK with what you're looking at. It seems for most jobs that the size of the excavator isn't going to determine whether or not you can but just how long it'll take. You may need a 10 ton plus excavator to move a few rocks around, but what then? every other task couldve most likely been done with something smaller and 20 grand cheaper. What kind of walls are we talking relative to these?
20190823_105624.jpg

20171201_143736 (2).jpg

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe #12  
The new small JD stuff are Wacker Nueson Wacker Neuson will build compact excavators for John Deere

Just like alot of the older big JD stuff was Hitachi . If I was going "new " I would look at Yanmar / Bota / Komatsu not nessacerily in that order . The old IHI excavators / compact track loaders were good solid units . Now there are called " KATO " . Really good units but not many dealer networks out there .

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe
At work we build a ton of boulder egresses on new construction with a PC30 Komatsu or more recently a Bobcat E35 both with thumbs. If you're talking legitimate 3ft rocks in all dimensions then you definitely need a bigger machine. If you're talking 3ft in the widest and only ones that'll be on the bottom row you may be OK with what you're looking at. It seems for most jobs that the size of the excavator isn't going to determine whether or not you can but just how long it'll take. You may need a 10 ton plus excavator to move a few rocks around, but what then? every other task couldve most likely been done with something smaller and 20 grand cheaper. What kind of walls are we talking relative to these?
View attachment 740537
View attachment 740538
yes that top pic is about the size of the rocks.. there are a couple monsters but not worried about them.

I went to the local kubota dealer and looked at the KX040-4 and was pretty impressed, someone else posted pics of theirs here doing land clearing like I will. Will most likely pull the trigger on it friday when im back in town.

edit to reply to another: yes i keep all my equipment inside, the RTV even gets heated garage privileges.. :)

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe #14  
Sounds to me that you're making a good choice with the KX040-4. Its nice that its just small enough to be transported on a 14k trailer. Also, those machines really don't depreciate so if you get done with everything and find you just aren't using it and want to sell, you'll be out less money than you would have from renting. I'm actually pretty impressed that it'll pick up a 3600lb barrier block.

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe
Sounds to me that you're making a good choice with the KX040-4. Its nice that its just small enough to be transported on a 14k trailer. Also, those machines really don't depreciate so if you get done with everything and find you just aren't using it and want to sell, you'll be out less money than you would have from renting. I'm actually pretty impressed that it'll pick up a 3600lb barrier block.
yeah seeing that barrier block lifted is what sold me. my current trailer is a 14500 so spose that would have been a limitation. I did make sure the 44 was under weight 1st though :)

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe #16  
I have a kx040 and its a very capable machine. Use it around the farm a little but its mainly for my new construction plumbing biz. I really want a bigger machine, kx057, but until I change some stuff around I have to stay with this, or the u48-5 if they ever come in. Never seen such a shortage of equipment on dealer lots.

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe #17  
I have a kx040 and its a very capable machine. Use it around the farm a little but its mainly for my new construction plumbing biz. I really want a bigger machine, kx057, but until I change some stuff around I have to stay with this, or the u48-5 if they ever come in. Never seen such a shortage of equipment on dealer lots.

I don’t exactly like the haul bill but here’s how I scratched the itch for something bigger than my 40.
IMG_1753.JPG

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe #19  
sure would like a machine that size, the mini E32 is OK but not when it comes to doing larger projects, just takes too darn long

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe #20  
sure would like a machine that size, the mini E32 is OK but not when it comes to doing larger projects, just takes too darn long

I have a KX-040 but there’s no way I was going to dig 25 acres of stumps with it. The 40 would have to work 15 minutes on a stump that the cat will pull in one lick. The cat is old and tired and my 40 is fairly new but I actually have more money in the 40. After I pulled a few stumps with the 320 my only regret was not buying a 330 instead lol.