So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe #1  

kleetus

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota RTV 1140 Kubota Grand L4240
I have a ton of work that I need an excavator for, I was going to rent one and pay for some one to build a few rock walls, but it ends up costing about half as much as an excavator.
I own a 270 acre ranch so there is no shortage of stuff to do with it. I own a Kubota L4240 but dont have a bucket for the back. From what the sales guy told me they are pricey and you lose the ability to use the PTO with out changing things over.

so my question is for $50-$60k can I get into something big enough to lift 3 footish rocks and dig up oak stumps etc, and general farm work.
I was considering something along the lines of a Kubota Kx033-4 or the 40-4, but I am open to other options. We have a Kubota and Peterson Cat local, was going to stop in a chat with them.

but am I living in a pipe dream that I can get enough of tool for the price? oh and it was the wifes idea to buy it.. i was going all the numbers for renting when she said "why dont you just buy one?"
not sure why I am asking after getting the green light..... just want to see if im bein crazy

thanks

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe #2  
Kleetus, My Kubota with back hoe is 32 hp., so somewhat smaller than yours. My excavator is 45 hp, which is a little larger than what you are considering. I've got 150 acres, so about 1/2 of what you have.

1. I use the backhoe about every 3 days. It can do most everything the excavator can do - just takes longer.

2. Since buying the excavator, I've torn down 2 buildings (from a safe distance) both with concrete block walls, and excavated a 6' wide by 30' trench that was pushing in the wall of a bank barn - so not that much. Primarily why I purchased the excavator is to power a forestry mulcher, which I haven't gotten to doing - yet.

I've not pulled oak tree stumps (your specific question). Locust tree stumps, with a stump diameter of 6", the Kubota cannot do in a timely fashion. The excavator rips them out with little dirt work around the stump. A 3 foot rock - Rock weighs about 60 lbs for a sphere about the size of a man's head. So I'm guessing 900 lbs. The issue for me would be getting it into the bucket. If the 3' rock is relatively flat, then the bucket and gripper would pick that up easily. But so would the Kubota if it had a gripper. The weight of a relatively flat 3' rock is not so consequential.

I paid $27K for the used Yanmar, about 6 months ago, with 2300 hours thereon, so about 1/2 of what you are considering. As I drive around the farm, I use the Kubota whenever I see something needing doing. Due to slowness, and initial (and replacement) cost, I have a specific job in mind before I get the excavator out of the barn. For example, I've got a couple of dead trees leaning on other trees. I have in mind to pull them out by the roots, to allow the tree to fall to the earth, for safe cutting into burnable size shorts. And of course, there is the three miles of fence to be cleared with the mulcher.

Hope this does you some good.

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe
2-3 foot for the rocks. just giving the rough size since I dont know how to estimate rock weight. I know my tractor can handle them when I have a counterweight on so they are around a ton. just getting them in the loader bucket is a pain and ends up messing up the ground. the rocks also are coming from around my place, there are large rock fields where the wheat farms have piles them and the lava fields are visible in spots. thats one of the benefits, if I buy the excavator I can dig up the rocks over a period of time and not worry about stacking up rental bills, rather than buying a boatload of rocks

the main project is 2 natural rock walls around my newly built log home, one wall is 6 feet high 2 steps up and about 120 feet long, the other is a half circle about 120 feet in diameter arcing, so its not a small project. but there are french drains to be dug and "shallow water habitats" to be made. the oaks are scrub oaks so they get these 3 footish root balls, the soil is shallow so there is much root structure.

I know its stupid.. but I am strongly against buying used. I know all the arguments. I like new.
But from what your saying I see im not crazy for wanting one nor am I out of the ball park for budget, so thank you.

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe #4  
I have a 3.5 ton tak. I am all used all day so not much help with new price. A hoe on my 3 ton skid has more pure power than my x. That said, I run the x all the time, and the skid when I have to. Haven't put the hoe on since I bought the x. I can lift 3 - 4 foot thick limestone about twice as wide as it is deep. About 2,700 lbs close to the machine, I can flop up slightly bigger and carry them on the blade.

New or used, break out force, then reach, then lift capacity is how I would choose.

The damn things are expensive, I got blessed to get mine 5 years old with 1,200 hours for $30k, now I feel like I stole it.

I don't see your location, but, the cute little 1-2 ton machines are very handy in tight spots and black dirt. I you have clay/rocks, go as big as you can trailer, or the weather will completely dictate when you can work, and you will find an amazing amount of stuff you just can't do.

If time permits, I will get some pics of the rock I move around to give you an idea.

Best,

ed

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe
I live in Central Oregon, the soil is Wamic Loam... and shallow, tons of rocks. we call it moondust in the summer but when it packs its hard as a rock

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe #6  
I have a KX040. It’s a great machine but it’s a little small for moving 3 foot rocks. It’s not my idea of good for clearing either although it will get the job done. It’s WAY better than a tractor backhoe if that’s the baseline for comparison. Overall I think you’d be happier with a bigger excavator.

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe #7  
I did this little clearing job with my KX040.
IMG_1732.JPG
IMG_1730.JPG
IMG_0951.JPG

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe #8  
With the amount of work you’ve got planned I’d say you’d be wise to buy your own. Like 4570 I think a little bigger machine for the jobs you’ve described would be much better, 5-6 ton class. Realistically though in today’s prices for new you’d have to add about another 20k to your 60k. I bought my 6t Volvo new end of 2017 knowing I had a lot of work to do . Now have little over 1200hrs on it , no regrets. Pretty sure I could get as much or more than I paid 5years ago. Have you got a building of some sort to keep it stored inside?

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe #9  
Few photos

Attachments

• 0A6B6544-D92B-41B1-9112-B6FDE653A8D6.jpeg
    0A6B6544-D92B-41B1-9112-B6FDE653A8D6.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 185
  • 01EA92D9-7CEC-4A25-892F-E91A72CE4A27.jpeg
    01EA92D9-7CEC-4A25-892F-E91A72CE4A27.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 193
  • 2A2534A3-3512-49C9-B6E9-0336FD7864DE.jpeg
    2A2534A3-3512-49C9-B6E9-0336FD7864DE.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 190
  • 7A88B151-BF20-4EEA-8950-8C20BBF7C5DF.jpeg
    7A88B151-BF20-4EEA-8950-8C20BBF7C5DF.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 194
   / So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe #10  
With the amount of work you’ve got planned I’d say you’d be wise to buy your own. Like 4570 I think a little bigger machine for the jobs you’ve described would be much better, 5-6 ton class. Realistically though in today’s prices for new you’d have to add about another 20k to your 60k. I bought my 6t Volvo new end of 2017 knowing I had a lot of work to do . Now have little over 1200hrs on it , no regrets. Pretty sure I could get as much or more than I paid 5years ago. Have you got a building of some sort to keep it stored inside?

Here’s what I bought for my a little bit bigger machine. I have a little over 50 cents a pound in those pieces so the value to work done ratio is good there.

Attachments

• IMG_1707.JPG
    IMG_1707.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 197