So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe #21  
I have a ton of work that I need an excavator for, I was going to rent one and pay for some one to build a few rock walls, but it ends up costing about half as much as an excavator.
I own a 270 acre ranch so there is no shortage of stuff to do with it. I own a Kubota L4240 but dont have a bucket for the back. From what the sales guy told me they are pricey and you lose the ability to use the PTO with out changing things over.

so my question is for $50-$60k can I get into something big enough to lift 3 footish rocks and dig up oak stumps etc, and general farm work.
I was considering something along the lines of a Kubota Kx033-4 or the 40-4, but I am open to other options. We have a Kubota and Peterson Cat local, was going to stop in a chat with them.

but am I living in a pipe dream that I can get enough of tool for the price? oh and it was the wifes idea to buy it.. i was going all the numbers for renting when she said "why dont you just buy one?"
not sure why I am asking after getting the green light..... just want to see if im bein crazy

thanks
Operating an excavator safely and effectively takes a LOT of skill. I just paid a guy for two and a half days excavator work and he got an amazing amount of work done. Assuming I didn't roll it over, it would have taken me a month to do a terrible job of it. Also, when you have to get it out of an area where it broke down, tipped over, or got stuck, will you have the equipment, know-how and help to recover it?

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe #22  
If you have ever "thought" you want an Excavator or have the question that you will need to Rent one I'd say go for it!!! We are on our 3rd one now and will never be without one :) They are so handy it's amazing what you can get done with them. I am in the process of getting rid of one of my backhoes just cause there is no need for it any longer.
Try out several sizes before you jump in there are lots of options out there!!
And even an Old Man like me can learn to operate one pretty efficiently

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe
Operating an excavator safely and effectively takes a LOT of skill. I just paid a guy for two and a half days excavator work and he got an amazing amount of work done. Assuming I didn't roll it over, it would have taken me a month to do a terrible job of it. Also, when you have to get it out of an area where it broke down, tipped over, or got stuck, will you have the equipment, know-how and help to recover it?
well I am 50 and retired.. Time isnt an issue, I have tons of land dirt and rocks and the desire to learn how to use it. I also have a 40hp tractor and a almost every other farmer has a back hoe or dozer or grader to help me if I get stuck.

also you guys werent kidding, after I ordered it the guy said it might be 6 months before they can get one. I ended up getting the 40 with the 6 way bucket and cab. along with the 25 inch trencher and 36inch grader, quick attachments on both, and a thumb. so thanks for all the advice, it helped in making my decision.

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe #24  
I don’t exactly like the haul bill but here’s how I scratched the itch for something bigger than my 40. View attachment 741258
My daughter has the same passion for HE that I do. She's getting quite experienced on our little bobcat 324. We drive by a real excavator or bulldozer for sale and she just smiles and says" dad, you can break serious shidt with that".

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe #25  
I have a Kubota KX-121-3. It might be a little small for some of the jobs, but it loads on a 14K GVW trailer nd keeps my total weight below the 26K that requires a CDL.

I've had it 14 years (950hours) and it's been a good, reliable unit.

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe #26  
I found a local guy charging $150/hr running a new 27 ton excavator. Not worth buying or renting at that rate. If you are dealing with larger trees ie. over 24" you need a bigger machine.

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe #27  
Just rented a KX040. Canadian Shield (Ontario), so rocks, boulders, oak and white pine stumps all over the place.

Had no trouble moving 3' x 2' x 2' standalone boulders, and only the expected amount of trouble digging out the stump of a standalone 18" oak. However, digging out a 2' x 2' x 2' rock wedged in with smaller rocks, and disassembling a cluster of rather more modest stumps in rocky terrain, was nearly at the combined limits of the machine and myself, a not very experienced operator.

So, enjoy your KX040. I'm sure you will find tons it can do very well, and with tenaciousness you'll get rid of boulders and stumps too. I will likely buy one too. But be prepared to decide it's time to bring in bigger machine to yank out in a day stuff that would take you 2 weeks with your 4 tons.

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe #28  
Wondering if you got your mini ex yet? I’m basically in exactly the same scenario.. 200 acre farm and want to just buy the mini ex.
I’m thinking of going bigger that you. About the same budget, but used is fine. My cousin is a heavy equipment mechanic so I’m ok with used.
I have a 50HP tractor. And have run my cousins bobcat E35 which is just too small for what I’d want. Looking at a used Tak TB260 or bigger.?.?

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe
Wish I could say I have it, I ordered it in April. at this point I dont believe it will ever come in. apparently I am next on the list, what ever that means.

/ So I am in the market for a compact excavator, maybe #30  
Really? What did you order. I’d do something else.