Small Shop Cranes

/ Small Shop Cranes
OK. This is the OP, and I thought I'd bring my own shop crane search up to date.
After looking at all the fascinating cranes that people posted, I did something new and bought one from Harbor Freight. My first tool ever from there.

The store had the 1 ton and 2 tons both on the floor and assembled. They fold to the same size, and the 2 ton was enough heavier built that it sold me.
Cost was $340 w/tax. I could have gotten the 1 ton for $120 less.

So the next day my wife and I assembled it. We were surprised at the quality of all the parts, the way they were packed, and quality hardware too. Not at all what I expected. Nice instructions and clean good fitting parts made it all fun for us to put it all together.

It took about 2 hours of easy work to assemble - everything fit exactly right. Even the welds and wheels looked good. Oh, if you get one do put the wheels on as the first step. The instructions take that for granted, but are otherwise real good.

We left a 200 lb band saw suspended overnight to test it. The hydraulics didn't leak down at all.

I've used it some since and frankly I'm impressed with the way it works. Plans are still to make up an overhead X-Y trolley eventually, but having this now takes the pressure off of that project.

Hoping this thread continues with photos of other TBN home shops and small cranes.
rScotty

Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 6.16.28 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-01-11 at 6.16.45 PM.png

/ Small Shop Cranes #42  
The best change I made to my engine hoist/shop crane was to change the cylinder to an air/hydraulic. As my son said-why didn't I do that years ago. Makes it much easier and faster to use. I can't remember if I got the cylinder at Northern Tool or HF.

/ Small Shop Cranes #43  
I bought one of the mid-sized Harbor Fright [sic] ones and use the hell out of it. It's advantage is that everything folds up, so very easy to put in a "corner". When rigging the retractable air-hose reel, it was pretty theatrical trying to hold the weight and mount it (in a quonset building), so I put a long pipe in the end of the crane, and lifted it into position (no, it didn't exceed the lifting moment at that extension). TIP: Take the extended boom out and spray it BRIGHT YELLOW, then wrap tape around it in a spiral and paint that BLACK. It keeps me from bonking my head into the extended end, cause I can SEE IT.

Funny thing, i took some DOT silver/red reflector tape and covered the ENTIRE bottom of my creeper with it because i have this thing where i couldnt find the creeper when it was standing up leaning against something. It is now the shiniest most reflective thing in the shop. 😂

Glad OP got his shop hoist! I have done several things to address similar needs, the best of which was buying a tiny tractor with an FEL that fits almost everywhere.. but by far the silliest and most unusual thing i did was mount a small crane on a highly modified riding mower chassis with a push mower engine, some frame reinforcement, and a lot of counterweight. And ill throw in a pic of the aluminum knob on my shop press to boot.
4A52EB08-828A-4DF0-A79E-7D515231EDE1.jpeg

Attachments

• 25AD4309-1673-485C-89FF-D490ED1CB300.jpeg
    25AD4309-1673-485C-89FF-D490ED1CB300.jpeg
    392.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 937CFB03-184F-4CD7-8F71-ACF7D17660B8.jpeg
    937CFB03-184F-4CD7-8F71-ACF7D17660B8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
Last edited: