Small Shop Cranes

/ Small Shop Cranes #11  
Have to admit to using the backhoes as cranes. Operating whilst standing beside them.

/ Small Shop Cranes #12  
One modification that I'd do to it, and that I plan to do to my shop press is to press out the little cross T in the release valve and replace it with a round handle like a garden faucet. I've seen that modification on U-Tube and it would sure beat using the slot in the pump handle for minor/slow releases.
Yep, good idea. My shop crane metal knob:

P1200016 640.JPG

My shop press plastic knob:

P4130001c.jpg
P4130001cc (Small).jpg

/ Small Shop Cranes #13  
I've had a HF electric winch mounted to the the ceiling of my garage for 15 yrs. Handy if you are lifting in one spot. I have a modified handtruck (4 wheels - 2 are casters) with a HF winch on a boom. Handy if you are lifting where you need to move the load on a smooth surface. For everythign else I have a 5k CAT forklift. The forklift is my most used tool on the ranch. I have a smooth solid surfaced pallet I cn put on the forks, put a yard mower or whatever on it and raise it up to where wrenching on it doesn't hurt my back and I can see what I'm doing better too. Many of you have tractor forks you can do the same things with.

Last edited:
   / Small Shop Cranes #15  
Do you remember the thread size for the knob-valve?
The videos I saw on it, the knob wasn't threaded. They pressed out the cross-pin in the cylinder valve stem, found a knob that would fit over the stem, or drilled it out to fit over the stem, slipped it over the spot where the cross-pin was, drilled a corresponding hole where the old cross-pin was, then pressed the pin or a new roll pin back in, holding the knob to the valve stem.

/ Small Shop Cranes #16  
It's time for a small shop crane, or something to help me lift things. It's just old age, but I can no longer lift the normal things in the shop. Time for some help.
It needn't be all that strong. 500 lbs max would be fine, and 50 more common. But the shop is small and it needs to fold up and be out of the way.
Here is a light weight lifter: Portable Lifting Devices, Ergonomic Lifting Hoists

s-l1600.jpg
The_Sky_Hook.png
Screenshot 2023-01-02 09.38.28.png
Screenshot 2023-01-02 09.39.23.png

/ Small Shop Cranes #17  

Jack valve handle.

/ Small Shop Cranes #18  
The videos I saw on it, the knob wasn't threaded. They pressed out the cross-pin in the cylinder valve stem, found a knob that would fit over tGhe stem, or drilled it out to fit over the stem, slipped it over the spot where the cross-pin was, drilled a corresponding hole where the old cross-pin was, then pressed the pin or a new roll pin back in, holding the knob to the valve stem.
Got it - thank you!

/ Small Shop Cranes #20  
I bought one of the mid-sized Harbor Fright [sic] ones and use the hell out of it. It's advantage is that everything folds up, so very easy to put in a "corner". When rigging the retractable air-hose reel, it was pretty theatrical trying to hold the weight and mount it (in a quonset building), so I put a long pipe in the end of the crane, and lifted it into position (no, it didn't exceed the lifting moment at that extension). TIP: Take the extended boom out and spray it BRIGHT YELLOW, then wrap tape around it in a spiral and paint that BLACK. It keeps me from bonking my head into the extended end, cause I can SEE IT.