Small Shop Cranes

/ Small Shop Cranes #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
It's time for a small shop crane, or something to help me lift things. It's just old age, but I can no longer lift the normal things in the shop. Time for some help.
It needn't be all that strong. 500 lbs max would be fine, and 50 more common. But the shop is small and it needs to fold up and be out of the way.
I've looked at the Harbor Freight & might go that way. Comments? It's certainly inexpensive.
rScotty Screenshot 2023-01-01 at 6.50.43 PM.png

/ Small Shop Cranes #2  
I purchased one of their pickup mount jib cranes and the cylinder leaks down from the weight of the boom. Like you I just use it to move stuff but am still disappointed that it won’t support a load for any period of time.

/ Small Shop Cranes #4  
I got the hazard frought one. Used it to pull the cummins out of my old truck and tear down my SXS a dew times.

Cant complain. It does leak down but what ever

/ Small Shop Cranes #5  
It's time for a small shop crane, or something to help me lift things. It's just old age, but I can no longer lift the normal things in the shop. Time for some help.
It needn't be all that strong. 500 lbs max would be fine, and 50 more common. But the shop is small and it needs to fold up and be out of the way.
I've looked at the Harbor Freight & might go that way. Comments? It's certainly inexpensive.
rScottyView attachment 777330
I've had a similar Harbor Freight crane like that for 25+ years. It folds up nicely when not in use and takes up about 4 square feet of floor space. I rarely use it, but when I do, it's really handy. (y) Last time I used it was about 2 years ago when I pulled an engine and transmission out of an '85 chevy pickup as a single unit before scrapping the truck chassis. Works as advertised.

/ Small Shop Cranes #6  
One modification that I'd do to it, and that I plan to do to my shop press is to press out the little cross T in the release valve and replace it with a round handle like a garden faucet. I've seen that modification on U-Tube and it would sure beat using the slot in the pump handle for minor/slow releases.

/ Small Shop Cranes #7  
We all need lifting help.
Floor in my shop too uneven for much wheeled stuff. Do have overhead I-Beam hoist to use in just a little part. Have some surplus I-beam chain lift, chain travel hoists if you need.

Use several 2” receiver style hitches around the shop to mount various equipment to best utilize floor space. Modified a northern tool crane to utilize the hitches too. Can bolt the base down to the heavy welding bench which it on casters.
IMG_0515.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0936.JPG

Have receiver hitches on tractor buckets and attachments.

Few little modifications makes it easy to break down to move with no piece weighing more than 38#. With cable winch, hydraulic arm, 360 rotation, adjustable outriggers goes where other cranes can’t. Used to dress a deer, loading heavy treasures in truck to bring back home, to handling/supporting long steel stock. Cost $150 on sale years ago. Have a design in my head for a shade tree mount that hadn’t needed yet.

/ Small Shop Cranes #9  
One of the the best things I ever bought was a Hoyer lift. I use it constantly to raise all sorts of things. Its much smaller than an engine hoist, much less room is needed to store it and its quick and light to move around.

/ Small Shop Cranes #10  
I used to have a cheap folding shop crane but found my 5,000# forklift with side shift 1000x more useful, safer and easier for handling heavy items.

The portable cranes are ok if you need a straight lift. The moment you have to slide a heavy load they become a PITA even with polished smooth concrete floors. You will be wishing for a helper. With the fork lift you can do heavy lifts, assembly and disassembly on your own.