Skidsteer rentals

/ Skidsteer rentals #21  
I have an x and a skid, and 40 acres without a single flat spot. Both machines will do virtually anything you have time, money, and attachments for. I do have a stump bucket for the skid, and it is vastly better than a normal toothed or smooth bucket.

That said, on steep slopes, you need to (usually cut roots on 3 sides to get a big tree over. If looking down hill, it is easy to cut on the left and right of the tree (working down hill). It is hard to cut the uphill side, and the same as impossible to cut the down hill side. In general skids and hills are sub optimal.

If you are going to rent, an x that will take out a tree vs a skid that would do the same job, should be about the same money, 100% guidance, get the x. A fair operator will be much safer on a slope with an x vs a skid.

Mowing with a skid on steep slopes is pretty simple, mow down, back up while moving over, and mow another swath down. DON'T please, try to work cross slope with a skid.

All that, I love running equipment, rent an x for the trees and swap it for a skid and mower when you are done. Be careful, go slow, and have fun.

P.S If you tell the rental place you want them to swap attachments on a skid, they may not rent to you😭

Just kidding, never be afraid to ask them to show you how to do something, but, it is simple.

P.P.S. I use a tractor and brush hog to mow, safer, faster, and easier on the grass than a skid.

Best,

ed

/ Skidsteer rentals #22  
I have no doubt what you can accomplish with a stump bucket. I’ve used one. I was quoting Haydudes post about using the regular size bucket.
You can do a lot with a standard bucket. Just gotta know how to do more with less, like all farmers. ;)
Comes down to operator skill and seat time. You‘ll get there…
Of course a tracked skid steer with a grapple is faster, most of the time.
I probably clear more trees in a year than many guys do in a decade. Even made new 10 acre hay fields that were previously woods.

I rent mini X’s, tracked skid steers with front mowers, owned 2 different backhoes with tooth buckets.
There’s a tool for every job, but the best tool is experience. An experienced operator with a rental works fine.

Last edited:
   / Skidsteer rentals #23  
You can do a lot with a standard bucket. Just gotta know how to do more with less, like all farmers. ;)
Comes down to operator skill and seat time. You‘ll get there…

I probably clear more trees in a year than many guys do in a decade.
Sure, I rent mini X’s, owned 2 different backhoes and tooth buckets. There’s a tool for every job, but the best tool is experience

Sure given enough time and digging a hole the size of a car you could dig stumps with the regular size bucket. But the simple fact is a stump bucket is far better than the regular bucket and an excavator is better than that.

/ Skidsteer rentals #24  
Sure given enough time and digging a hole the size of a car you could dig stumps with the regular size bucket. But the simple fact is a stump bucket is far better than the regular bucket and an excavator is better than that.
Definitely

This was all I said
“Depends on the skill of the operator. I remove stumps all the time with a standard bucket.
Give yourself some more seat time and you might be able to someday, too.”

Nowhere in there did I say a smooth bucket is better than a stump bucket.

/ Skidsteer rentals #25  
Depends on the skill of the operator. I remove stumps all the time with a standard bucket.
Give yourself some more seat time and you might be able to someday, too.
I’ve Had skid steers, and now a CTL for almost fifteen years, and have pulled a lot of stumps with them.. It’s a lot easier, and quicker to use the mini ex, even a small one.

Plus, it’s easier on the machine.

/ Skidsteer rentals #26  
I’ve Had skid steers, and now a CTL for almost fifteen years, and have pulled a lot of stumps with them.. It’s a lot easier, and quicker to use the mini ex, even a small one.

You da man! (y)

1640328336895.jpeg

/ Skidsteer rentals #27  

A CTL and a stump bucket will do a good job. As good if not a little better than the same weight mini x in optimal conditions. The downside is you’ve got a 40 foot circular of ground torn up where the mini x is much less invasive. The other downside is in mud or slops the CTLs performance drops off drastically where the mini x can anchor itself and isn’t hindered.

/ Skidsteer rentals #28  
Like 3” stumps?

Much bigger. You use the cutting edge of the bucket to cut the peripheral roots, then dig under them. Takes a little longer, but it’ll work. I’ve dug out 12-18” stumps and pushed over good sized trees after digging around the base.
I was taught by depression-era people. They did more work with a couple shovels and a couple cups of coffee at 5am than most guys with expensive, fancy machinery that get up at 9am.

Last edited:
   / Skidsteer rentals #29  
Definitely

This was all I said

Nowhere in there did I say a smooth bucket is better than a stump bucket.

Well you’re making it sound like with practice it’s actually a good solution when in reality it’s the hardest on your equipment, the most invasive and the slowest.

/ Skidsteer rentals #30  
Well you’re making it sound like with practice it’s actually a good solution when in reality it’s the hardest on your equipment, the most invasive and the slowest.
Nope, that’s what you said.
Im just saying it can be done when you have experience.
I guess some people have all the money in the world for all the attachments they need and some people just seem to make do with what they have.