Simplicity Legacy Tractor?

/ Simplicity Legacy Tractor? #11  
Yeah I have already done a ton of research. When you compare the Legacy or a John Deere X700 series tractor with a FEL even a tiny 1025r makes them look like children playing in the dirt. I heard this is because you can put the 1025r in low gear which makes a significant difference. The John Deere X700 series tractors do not have a low range and I am not sure about the Simplicity.

Another tractor that I keep coming back to is the 2025r but I do not like that they use the same engine in it as the 1025r. I would like a bigger engine to come with the slightly larger tractor.

This is my problem I always start to talk myself into something bigger. The truth is I need something with a 54" deck. I am considering a 60" but there are tight places where the 52" on my Ferris makes all the difference.
I wouldn't let the engine worry you, personally. I have a JD x758 and a 2520 (older version of 2025R). Essentially the same size/output engines. The 2520 does everything I need it to do without issue, including a lot of tilling with my 60" King Kutter Pro. Engine HP has never been a problem. I run out of traction or lifting power before engine HP. That said, if you need to do loader stuff, look for the 2-series over the 1-series (or MCUT vs SCUT in other brands). Then get a dedicated mower like a zero-turn. The SCUT size is a compromise on all fronts, IMO.

/ Simplicity Legacy Tractor?
I wouldn't let the engine worry you, personally. I have a JD x758 and a 2520 (older version of 2025R). Essentially the same size/output engines. The 2520 does everything I need it to do without issue, including a lot of tilling with my 60" King Kutter Pro. Engine HP has never been a problem. I run out of traction or lifting power before engine HP. That said, if you need to do loader stuff, look for the 2-series over the 1-series (or MCUT vs SCUT in other brands). Then get a dedicated mower like a zero-turn. The SCUT size is a compromise on all fronts, IMO.

From what I understand the HP in the 2025r is a couple lower than the 2520 though. So I am hoping that the couple HP will not make a difference. Also yeah I saw the difference seems to be in the hydraulics when moving to the 2025r over the 1025r.

Unless you get one hell of a deal you don't want a Legacy. 😂
I realize they are not the most powerful tractor in the world but we live on three quarter of an acre lots. I would like a little bit larger property but if you consider the difference you are talking easily half price. Looking at something like a John Deere or Kubota you are easily looking at over $20k depending on exactly what you want. I'm not factoring in that I am looking at 2 series family tractors from JD now.

/ Simplicity Legacy Tractor? #14  
From what I understand the HP in the 2025r is a couple lower than the 2520 though. So I am hoping that the couple HP will not make a difference. Also yeah I saw the difference seems to be in the hydraulics when moving to the 2025r over the 1025r.
Good point. That would be the reason to go with the 2032R! :)

/ Simplicity Legacy Tractor? #15  
They're an orphan machine from a brand that, to be honest, hangs in the balance. Briggs is looking to offload Simplicity, and has been for a while now. They were built by Simplicity, though you'll find them sold under the Massey Ferguson livery as well, and they're excellent garden tractors. Diesel was an option for the longest time, but so were Kohler engines; that changed when Briggs purchased Simplicity Mfg.

These are garden tractors with a loader available; they're not subcompacts and they'll never have the capability of one, no matter how they're outfitted.

Unless you're using it primarily to mow, and the loader is a self-propelled wheelbarrow to you, you're going to be disappointed. Buy the right machine in the first go, it'll save you more money in the long run, I can attest to that.

They're an orphan machine from a brand that, to be honest, hangs in the balance. Briggs is looking to offload Simplicity, and has been for a while now. They were built by Simplicity, though you'll find them sold under the Massey Ferguson livery as well, and they're excellent garden tractors. Diesel was an option for the longest time, but so were Kohler engines; that changed when Briggs purchased Simplicity Mfg.

These are garden tractors with a loader available; they're not subcompacts and they'll never have the capability of one, no matter how they're outfitted.

Unless you're using it primarily to mow, and the loader is a self-propelled wheelbarrow to you, you're going to be disappointed. Buy the right machine in the first go, it'll save you more money in the long run, I can attest to that.
Thanks I agree and I do a lot of mowing by the way. I have always liked the Simplicity line over the garbage that MTD has cluttering up the front of the big box stores. I have always envied the stripes and suspension system that those tractors come standard with. You are right though. Every time I think about it, I am in the market for a real tractor, not a smaller one.

Anyway the John Deere 2025r gets the best reviews. People say the hydraulics are smoother and the machine rides better than the smaller counterpart that is the 1025r. The Yanmar SA324 seems like a good choice as well. Because it is considerably cheaper. It is even less than the Kubota's in the same line. I have been sold on a Ventrac for quite some time for the same reasons. I do a lot of hillside mowing so I appreciate something like a Ventrac. The thing that sucks about Ventrac is their engine lineup actually discourages people that mow from getting the Kubota diesel. So you are stuck with the 4500Z or 4520Z which are gas machines. People say they drink gas too.

/ Simplicity Legacy Tractor? #17  
I quite like the 1025R/2025R, having owned a 1025 prior to my Kioti, they're really great machines. That said, it's a huge market segment and you owe it to yourself to look at Massey Ferguson, Kioti, LS, etc.

Even if it's just to dicker with the salesman.

/ Simplicity Legacy Tractor? #18  
I was looking at the Canadian prices here and yes the smallest Simplicity Regent can be had for $4749 but it is only 38 inch deck and no suspension.
So once you move up to a 54 inch deck, you get suspension and are looking at prices from $5900 for the Regent to $12,999 for the Conquest.

Now compare to the smallest Kubota SCUT the BX1880. It is now $16,750 (they were 11 or 12 pre covid but Kubota just went crazy with their prices.)
But what you get for that is a real diesel tractor that is about the same size and not much more weight than a good lawn tractor.

I think I could stomach paying for the Simplicity if I wanted just a good mower.
But for adding a loader or using ground engaging implements, I think it is hard to beat a SCUT for value for the money.
At least 2 years ago. But like I say, they went mental with their prices now.

/ Simplicity Legacy Tractor? #19  
You've mentioned 1) 3/4 acre lot(s), 2) hillside and 3) lot of hillside mowing. Are you buying a machine to mow commercially or using it at home on a single 3/4 acre lot?

As soon as you say hillside mowing, the price seems to escalate as you said. Used to be able to buy a new car at these prices.

You've mentioned 1) 3/4 acre lot(s), 2) hillside and 3) lot of hillside mowing. Are you buying a machine to mow commercially or using it at home on a single 3/4 acre lot?

As soon as you say hillside mowing, the price seems to escalate as you said. Used to be able to buy a new car at these prices.
I mow commercially. I would like to offer snow removal again but we do not get as much as say NY. The headache and season here just made me drop it. Something I could also start up again with a Ventrac or small tractor

I frequently turn down jobs that are either too steep or too thick. Both of which could be solved with something like a Ventrac or tractor.
Now compare to the smallest Kubota SCUT the BX1880. It is now $16,750
I know I should have specified but I am looking at mostly used. So the Simplicity tractors do not hold their value well. I do not know if that is a red flag or what. Anyway check this out, three cylinder diesel for $8,000 with a mower deck. If you check these tractors out you can others (and yes still many of them diesel) for even less than this.

So my point being, I could get a FEL for this tractor and several other attachments and easily be under $20,000 loaded. If I were to say get a used 2025r loaded with a cab and all the same attachments you are probably talking closer to $40,000 or more. I agree with what others have said though, in the long run I am probably going to be a lot happier with an actual tractor.

Now I start looking at Ventrac again, because it has a lot of advantage over the smaller tractors like the forward mower deck, articulating frame, low to the ground, AWD etc. Now if you get that tractor loaded with the same implements you are talking $60,000 very possibly more. Also the smaller footprint which is really going to help me with mowing the same properties every week. Just this is a lot of money to shell out for such a small machine.

Just something to think about. I appreciate all the feedback.