Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,911  
Well that photo is much more "Hauling wrong" than towing wrong... But with the payload being a trailer, I guess it fits both categories! :oops:

Geez that had to be a ride!

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,912  
There is a balance to it. Maximizing the load on the tongue can also have negative effect.
Your tongue weight should be dialed in to roughly 10% - 15% of gross trailer weight. So, if trailer + payload happens to be 5k lb on a given trip, you should adjust the load to achieve 500 - 750 lb. on the tongue. Of course, most aren't going to have a way to measure trailer weight and tongue weight handy, so it becomes a bit of a SWAG.

The first time I loaded my tractor + loader + ballast + wagon all onto my landscape trailer, I remember playing musical chairs between the tractor, ballast box, and wagon, until I got the thing to balance right. After figuring it out once, you just repeat.

And when loading logs on my trailer, I've developed an eye for what's right, mostly watching how the trailer levels out under load. Generally, this works out by putting the center of each log length over the front axle of my tandem, when laying logs in length-wise.

This is very important at highway speeds, less so if you're doing 25 mph between two neighboring houses.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,913  
Your tongue weight should be dialed in to roughly 10% - 15% of gross trailer weight. So, if trailer + payload happens to be 5k lb on a given trip, you should adjust the load to achieve 500 - 750 lb. on the tongue. Of course, most aren't going to have a way to measure trailer weight and tongue weight handy, so it becomes a bit of a SWAG.

The first time I loaded my tractor + loader + ballast + wagon all onto my landscape trailer, I remember playing musical chairs between the tractor, ballast box, and wagon, until I got the thing to balance right. After figuring it out once, you just repeat.

And when loading logs on my trailer, I've developed an eye for what's right, mostly watching how the trailer levels out under load. Generally, this works out by putting the center of each log length over the front axle of my tandem, when laying logs in length-wise.

This is very important at highway speeds, less so if you're doing 25 mph between two neighboring houses.
But you are citing rule-of-thumb numbers. Rarely do we have a scale to measure. Too many who read such instruction conclude the solution is to put as much on the tongue as possible.

In my cited example a trailer long enough for 2 SxS had only one parked at the very front. With a marginal tow vehicle that was far too much. When moved back so that much was over the trailer axles the rig behaved properly.

Likewise I have a purpose built very expensive Kendon Dual Stand Up motorcycle trailer. It carries 2 dirtbikes with ease behind the Subaru. But put (2) 650 pound Yamaha FJR1300s on it and we are back to porpoising. Moving one back a only a foot helped tremendously. Probably should have moved both back a foot. If I was to do it again I'd look into remounting the rails and wheel chocks.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,914  
But you are citing rule-of-thumb numbers.
Yep. They became rule-of-thumb numbers, because they're right!

Rarely do we have a scale to measure.
Already noted. When setting up a new boat trailer, yes... I do actually rig up scales to dial in the position of the boat on the trailer. It's a one-time chore for years of towing that boat on that trailer. But no way am I doing that for each differing load on my landscape trailer, that is just handled by eye, and then adjusting later if it feels off.

Too many who read such instruction conclude the solution is to put as much on the tongue as possible.
Leads to proposing and potential understeer, by exceeding your vehicle's maximum allowable tongue weight.

In my cited example a trailer long enough for 2 SxS had only one parked at the very front. With a marginal tow vehicle that was far too much. When moved back so that much was over the trailer axles the rig behaved properly.
Going for a level trailer is a good starting point, but that also relies on having the correct drop on your hitch and a tow vehicle with a tongue weight rating appropriate for the trailer. Likewise, if you know you're hauling ~5k lb, and you find you can lift the tongue, you're obviously too light. After that, feeling how it tows is the final metric.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,915  
If you have the vehicle for it, I'd argue more tongue weight is better. Look at a semi....lots of tongue weight there.

I've always done it by eye as well. Hard to even explain exactly how I get there, given the variable loads I've dealt with. Would be curious if I'm at 15% or if I'm way off. Never had sway, so I know I'm on the heavy side.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,916  
Has this questioneverANSEWERED

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,917  
Has this questioneverANSEWERED
Here's an answer!

4x8 trailer rated 2k.

I weigh 180.

Had wife measure distance hitch to ground before loading, then measured it again with me standing on hitch. It settled some 3 inches.

Loaded the trailer, adjusted the carried cargo (unmounted bumper weights) - to get a little more than that 3 inch hitch deflection.

Easy peasy!

(Note everything here is nearly at, but not exceeding, rated capacity. Except there should be trailer brakes over 1k).

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,918  
^^ Scientific method in action!

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,919  
Here's an answer!

4x8 trailer rated 2k.

I weigh 180.

Had wife measure distance hitch to ground before loading, then measured it again with me standing on hitch. It settled some 3 inches.

Loaded the trailer, adjusted the carried cargo (unmounted bumper weights) - to get a little more than that 3 inch hitch deflection.

Easy peasy!

(Note everything here is nearly at, but not exceeding, rated capacity. Except there should be trailer brakes over 1k).

I love that you towed the Yanmar with the Outback.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,920  
^^ Scientific method in action!
1695929672993.png