Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,791  
GVWR is 5200-6200# depending on year and options, curb weight is 3900-4000# (again, depending on year and options).
So payload capacity is 1200-2300#, plus whatever weight was removed, figure front seat (70#), rear seat (80#), half the roof (100#?), RF door (80#), etc.
Add in a 200# driver and 1600-2200# of steer and it's sitting between 600# over GVWR and 100# under GVWR.

Aaron Z
I saw a more complete story on the bull hauler. The owner claimed the car was a crown vic police interceptor that he had reinforced the frame and upgraded the suspension. Given the fact that it appears to sit almost level, I think he probably did it right. The part he didn't plan for was "exhaust" from the bull which coated the back of the car and the road, which is the main reason the cops wanted him off the road.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,793  
That's the factory trailer setup for the "Bug". Allows you to pivot around and drive the trailer to where you need it! The campers they made for them were cool!

Your comment reminded me of this video from a while back.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,794  

Your comment reminded me of this video from a while back.
But wouldn't the VW engine overheat as soon as you got on the highway? If you could get up to a safe highway speed at all.

I pulled a trailer not much bigger than that with an AMC Eagle. On a hot day the thing went to limp mode due to overheating, then after I got home I realized I had cooked the A/T. Oil everywhere. $1k to replace all the seals. I would expect similar with a Bug grossly overloading beyond specs like that.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,795  
But wouldn't the VW engine overheat as soon as you got on the highway? If you could get up to a safe highway speed at all.

I pulled a trailer not much bigger than that with an AMC Eagle. On a hot day the thing went to limp mode due to overheating, then after I got home I realized I had cooked the A/T. Oil everywhere. $1k to replace all the seals. I would expect similar with a Bug grossly overloading beyond specs like that.
Those little things were tough and cheap to fix. And simple to repair.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,796  
Those little things were tough and cheap to fix. And simple to repair.
If they weren't stressed beyond normal driving. They weren't designed for towing.

I had a Transporter (van) with the speedometer redlined at 55 mph. It barfed at around 65 down a grade.

Sis had a Bug, no problems. Later a Bus, bought new. She asked me to drive it on a joint camping trip but said go slow, its at 135k miles and its first engine burned up at 65k miles.
Surely that trailer has more wind resistance, and weight, compared to the Bus.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,797  
That's the factory trailer setup for the "Bug". Allows you to pivot around and drive the trailer to where you need it! The campers they made for them were cool!
That would be super handy

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,799  
Pretty sure I've seen casket trailers before. Just a joke modification for an enclosed trailer.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,800  
Pretty sure I've seen casket trailers before. Just a joke modification for an enclosed trailer.
Not uncommon at Honda Goldwing WingDings (convention).

Favorite I saw was a trailer with two MiniTrail 50s behind a Goldwing.