Seller Beware

/ Seller Beware #121  
I just posted my B2710 on Craigslist. Got the following response:

"From: Andy R Smith
Sat 2/25/2023 9:25 PM
I really appreciate your response.
The first email was addressed to my cousin, who assisted me in contacting the seller because I'm new to Craigslist.
I've been working incredibly long weeks so I won't be able to meet with you before buying, but I'm fine with the price and condition as they are listed on Craigslist. I'll go ahead and issue you a Cashier's Check, and when you have the money and it clears, I'll make plans for pickup.
Please respond as soon as possible with the information provided.
Full name
address, city state and zip code
Your mobile number:
Last price:
As soon as this is given, payment will be delivered overnight to you via UPS Next Day Delivery, and I will give you the package's tracking number.
Please remove the ad from Craigslist or label it as sold today. I will also add an extra $70 to deter other purchasers until you receive my check.
Thank you, and while we wait for your response, I hope we treat this with good faith. "

Not sure this is a "good faith offer." I responded that I would not sell untill the buyer inspected the tractor and I inspected the buyer. BTW the deposit-to-hold I listed in the add was $100. I priced the tractor, 2004 with 1040 hours, new rear tires and rear hydraulics at $9000 - I think that's a fair price. I'm pretty scam alert - what's others' opinions?

MF
Dealt with numerous 'schemes' like this off Craigslist, mostly for rental units and boat slip rentals in S. Florida before moving back to the farm. Don't even bother to respond, and don't give them any of your info. Keep responding via the anonymous emails of Craigslist if you do, and once again, no info if they can not show in person.

/ Seller Beware #122  

The first email was addressed to my cousin, who assisted me in contacting the seller because I'm new to Craigslist.
I've been working incredibly long weeks so I won't be able to meet with you before buying, but I'm fine with the price and condition as they are listed on Craigslist. I'll go ahead and issue you a Cashier's Check, and when you have the money and it clears, I'll make plans for pickup.
Full name
Your mobile number:
Last price:
As soon as this is given, payment will be delivered overnight to you via UPS Next Day Delivery, and I will give you the package's tracking number.
Please remove the ad from Craigslist or label it as sold today. I will also add an extra $70 to deter other purchasers until you receive my check.
Thank you, and while we wait for your response, I hope we treat this with good faith. "

Not sure this is a "good faith offer." I responded that I would not sell untill the buyer inspected the tractor and I inspected the buyer. BTW the deposit-to-hold I listed in the add was $100. I priced the tractor, 2004 with 1040 hours, new rear tires and rear hydraulics at $9000 - I think that's a fair price. I'm pretty scam alert - what's others' opinions?

MF
Definitely a scam. Craigslist is full of bots that automatically respond to any & every listing - anything from your granny's underwear to spacecraft and everything inbetween. No serious buyer will offer you more $ than you're advertising and will usu have serious questions about whatever it is you're selling.

/ Seller Beware #123  
And I was OK with taking a lower (reasonable) offer. But not $400 which is just stupid. I responded and told him no. And I said $750 was the lowest I'd go right in my first response.
Well, its you fault for dickering online. Next time state "I will consider reasonable CASH IN HAND offers made on site in person - I will NOT negotiate via email."

Then ignore and or flag teh **** orifice that ignores you and makes an offer via email relay.

/ Seller Beware #124  

Full name
Your mobile number:
Last price:

MF
Scam, plain as the nose on your face.

Money to hold should be face to face with seller and buyer and in cash.

/ Seller Beware #125  
Well, its you fault for dickering online. Next time state "I will consider reasonable CASH IN HAND offers made on site in person - I will NOT negotiate via email."

Then ignore and or flag teh **** orifice that ignores you and makes an offer via email relay.
I have sold dozens of things on CL, EBAY, and FB Marketplace with no problems. Most all buyers appreciate being able to come out the winner when their lower offer is accepted and I am sure it helps the buyer make the decision to purchase instead of a Firm price. Once in awhile a person can encounter an idiot that just wants to attempt a scam or maybe they just have fun causing trouble. Your response, is a good example of that.
You do what works for YOU.

/ Seller Beware #126  
Actually, there is a thing on CL to report unwanted / annoying responders. I do that regularly. Not sure how it works to deter such time wasters. It easy easy enough to do, so "Why not?"
i also do that, but i send them a personal dart directly :) ... i know, water off a duck

/ Seller Beware #127  

Not sure this is a "good faith offer." I responded that I would not sell until the buyer inspected the tractor and I inspected the buyer. BTW the deposit-to-hold I listed in the add was $100. I priced the tractor, 2004 with 1040 hours, new rear tires and rear hydraulics at $9000 - I think that's a fair price. I'm pretty scam alert - what's others' opinions?

MF
This appears to be a scam to me. I would stay away from any transaction I am uncomfortable with or that has sketchy looking requirements for completion.
I rarely buy or sell on C-list or eBay. It was a good way to do both years ago. As one of the folks mentioned, too many bots and scammers out there now. I'm not opposed to the idea of the exposure in selling my wares but monetary transactions will be in person and with real funds. No two-party, out of state post dated checks for me.

/ Seller Beware #128  
Yeah, probably a scam.

You could try and get their "cashiers check" and actually deposit it (I would set up another account specifically for this). Once it clears (if it does), take out all of the funds. If you actually get the funds, then no problem..... they can come for the tractor.

Just don't give them any personal info, just public record stuff like address and phone number. Definitely no account numbers etc....
You can get the funds and still get burned by this scam if it's a phony cashier's check. The scam typically goes: they send you the cashier's check(s) but for too much money. They ask you to cash the checks then send them the difference. By the time the checks go through routing your bank calls you and tells you that the checks are bad and that they want their money back. By then the "buyer" is long gone with whatever cash you sent them.

I had someone try this on me years ago. My Spidey sense went off so when they asked me to send them the money after the checks were cashed I kept playing dumb to stall until the checks went through routing. My credit union called me a few days later and informed me they were bad checks and I needed to give the money back. Luckily I never sent the scammer the difference because I still would have been on the hook for that money. It really sucks because if I hadn't known the people at the credit union and talked to them about it ahead of time they might have thought that I was the one counterfeiting checks and called the cops.

/ Seller Beware #129  
I had this happen too when I was in the tractor business, I use to keep their checks as souvenirs.
I even asked them to send their driver because the check was cashed and I had their money waiting for the driver.
No one ever showed up.. :LOL:

/ Seller Beware #130  

Full name
Your mobile number:
Last price:

MF
Don't get involved. This is so common now. The few times I sold garden equipment this was the first response. I just told them it was sold. They look for any new entry. Nothing is sacred. Lady on the news today lost 200k on a down payment for a new dream property for her and her father. They seem to get their info from the inside someway. They know if you looked at something on the web. Crazy times.