Seller Beware

/ Seller Beware #131  
Yeah, probably a scam.

You could try and get their "cashiers check" and actually deposit it (I would set up another account specifically for this). Once it clears (if it does), take out all of the funds. If you actually get the funds, then no problem..... they can come for the tractor.

Just don't give them any personal info, just public record stuff like address and phone number. Definitely no account numbers etc....
Very bad advice. Best to void all contact. Things can backfire.

/ Seller Beware #132  
I just posted my B2710 on Craigslist. Got the following response:

"From: Andy R Smith
Sat 2/25/2023 9:25 PM
I really appreciate your response.
The first email was addressed to my cousin, who assisted me in contacting the seller because I'm new to Craigslist.
I've been working incredibly long weeks so I won't be able to meet with you before buying, but I'm fine with the price and condition as they are listed on Craigslist. I'll go ahead and issue you a Cashier's Check, and when you have the money and it clears, I'll make plans for pickup.
Please respond as soon as possible with the information provided.
Full name
address, city state and zip code
Your mobile number:
Last price:
As soon as this is given, payment will be delivered overnight to you via UPS Next Day Delivery, and I will give you the package's tracking number.
Please remove the ad from Craigslist or label it as sold today. I will also add an extra $70 to deter other purchasers until you receive my check.
Thank you, and while we wait for your response, I hope we treat this with good faith. "

Not sure this is a "good faith offer." I responded that I would not sell untill the buyer inspected the tractor and I inspected the buyer. BTW the deposit-to-hold I listed in the add was $100. I priced the tractor, 2004 with 1040 hours, new rear tires and rear hydraulics at $9000 - I think that's a fair price. I'm pretty scam alert - what's others' opinions?

MF
Sounds like a scam but I once got a message like that and it turned out to be legit. He doesn't need your full name. My name is "Cash". My address is my PO box (or a local business that will receive pallets for me. You don't have a "cell" (telling him you have a landline (even if it's a cell) is the fastest way to weed out the scammers). You can and should give him the price.
The guy I sold to paid me $800 to "hold it" for him. I totally expected a scam but I'm glad I navigated my way through.

/ Seller Beware #133  

The first email was addressed to my cousin, who assisted me in contacting the seller because I'm new to Craigslist.
I've been working incredibly long weeks so I won't be able to meet with you before buying, but I'm fine with the price and condition as they are listed on Craigslist. I'll go ahead and issue you a Cashier's Check, and when you have the money and it clears, I'll make plans for pickup.
Full name
Your mobile number:
Last price:
As soon as this is given, payment will be delivered overnight to you via UPS Next Day Delivery, and I will give you the package's tracking number.
Please remove the ad from Craigslist or label it as sold today. I will also add an extra $70 to deter other purchasers until you receive my check.
Thank you, and while we wait for your response, I hope we treat this with good faith. "

Not sure this is a "good faith offer." I responded that I would not sell untill the buyer inspected the tractor and I inspected the buyer. BTW the deposit-to-hold I listed in the add was $100. I priced the tractor, 2004 with 1040 hours, new rear tires and rear hydraulics at $9000 - I think that's a fair price. I'm pretty scam alert - what's others' opinions?

MF
Definitely a scam. I got a similar reply almost word to word when trying to sell a car. It was not craig's list but something similar.
The way it goes is that they will send a fake cashier's check for a bit over the asking price... a few hundreds to a few thousands depending on the amount of the transaction. In your case probably around $1000 extra.
You go and deposit the fake cashier's check but your bank likely wont find out for at least 24hrs that its fake. The scammer will then ask you to refund him the difference. Of course if you do you just lost the money because your bank will eventually let you know that the cashier's check was fake.
Whatever you do, do not give your mobile number. They are getting more clever and often run two scams in one. Some scammers will try to use your mobile number to hack your social media accounts and possibly could succeed in hacking other accounts that use 2 step verification by sending a reset code to your phone.
How they do that is by trying to hack the voice mail feature of your mobile, as many people leave the default password. Then they ask to reset your password on any given account with a phone call at a time they think you would not answer your phone so the call goes to voice mail. Since these calls are all automated they will leave the reset code as a voice mail and the scammer then has control of whatever account that is. Also it is scary what someone can do with your full name and address and mobile number.

Like someone else said, if you want to play around, you could ask to see a photo of the cashiers check and have it sent to a P.O. Box or to someone else's address...never to your house. If it clears you are good to go but the chances of an actually valid form of payment getting to you are pretty close to zero.

/ Seller Beware #134  
My reply would be bring cash money when you come to pick it up. That is if it does not sell in the meantime.
I realize this is approaching the subject backwards.

But when buying something I'd be wary of anyone requesting that cash be brought. Here, that's a good way to be robbed. Sure you're showing up at an address, but is it their address? Maybe they know the homeowner won't be there for a while.

Never show up or sell alone (or unarmed) take photos (or video), especially of ID's. Sure, this may make some folks uncomfortable but you have to do what you can to protect yourself.

/ Seller Beware #135  
I realize this is approaching the subject backwards.

But when buying something I'd be wary of anyone requesting that cash be brought. Here, that's a good way to be robbed. Sure you're showing up at an address, but is it their address? Maybe they know the homeowner won't be there for a while.

Never show up or sell alone (or unarmed) take photos (or video), especially of ID's. Sure, this may make some folks uncomfortable but you have to do what you can to protect yourself.

Not only that, the "good guys" can rob you! Civil Asset Forfeiture is becoming more known but a lot of people still don't know about it.
That's where the cops happen to pull you over, happen to search your car (or you admit to having cash when they ask you) and then they confiscate it claiming you have it to buy drugs, etc. It's happening all over the USA. Google it. There have been a few times I've traveled to states away to purchase something and had to carry cash. It was not a relaxing trip. There is even a case where a Brinks truck got pulled over and the cops seized all the cash in the truck. Blantant highway robbery.....by the "good guys".

/ Seller Beware #136  
Not only that, the "good guys" can rob you! Civil Asset Forfeiture is becoming more known but a lot of people still don't know about it.
That's where the cops happen to pull you over, happen to search your car (or you admit to having cash when they ask you) and then they confiscate it claiming you have it to buy drugs, etc. It's happening all over the USA. Google it. There have been a few times I've traveled to states away to purchase something and had to carry cash. It was not a relaxing trip. There is even a case where a Brinks truck got pulled over and the cops seized all the cash in the truck. Blantant highway robbery.....by the "good guys".

If I did carry cash I wouldn't admit and also have it on my person (cash belt or hidden somewhere else in my clothing). A cop would have to literally hold me at gunpoint and rob me.

/ Seller Beware #137  
If I did carry cash I wouldn't admit and also have it on my person (cash belt or hidden somewhere else in my clothing). A cop would have to literally hold me at gunpoint and rob me.
I would never admit to having any either. The worst thing you can do is do a cops job for him IMO. I never incriminate myself or purposly contribute to the negative outcome of their "investigations". But they can and have searched people so I don't think you can hide it. I've hid it in the vehicle before. Sketchy at best.

"Do you know why I pulled you over"? NOPE not a clue.

/ Seller Beware #138  
A REAL buyer always asks for a discount!
I sold an old cub cadet on craigslist and listed it for $850 thinking I could get between $700 and 750. I young guy came out to look at it and said I'll take it. Gave me 850 cash. Never had that happen before, but I'll take it.

Jeff

/ Seller Beware #139  
I bought a tractor and mower about 3+ hours away for $9,800. I arranged to meet the seller at a local bank which was a branch of my bank. Seller was able to watch the bank issue the cashier's check. Seller looked at the check but allowed me to keep the check in my possession until we arrived at their house where I looked at the tractor and handed over the cashier's check. The bank had told the seller that watching the bank issue the cashier's check was the only way for them to KNOW it was valid.

/ Seller Beware #140  

Full name
Your mobile number:
Last price:

MF
That letter reeks of scam. Money gram through wal mart works. Too much to transfer? Send some every day until paid. I just sold a machine and was paid that way. Cheaper than western Union by a long shot. I have used it several times. Not pay pal because they can decide they don't want it later and get the money back. Had that happen. You think you'll get the money off pay pal in cash and they can't get it. Pay pal will charge it against your pay pal card. Same way with e bay. I do money gram on eBay and anything else. Wise up to the online game. Do a bank wire transfer. No reason they can't do that. I have done that a few times.