Seller Beware

/ Seller Beware #111  
I just posted my B2710 on Craigslist. Got the following response:

"From: Andy R Smith
Sat 2/25/2023 9:25 PM
I really appreciate your response.
The first email was addressed to my cousin, who assisted me in contacting the seller because I'm new to Craigslist.
I've been working incredibly long weeks so I won't be able to meet with you before buying, but I'm fine with the price and condition as they are listed on Craigslist. I'll go ahead and issue you a Cashier's Check, and when you have the money and it clears, I'll make plans for pickup.
Please respond as soon as possible with the information provided.
Full name
address, city state and zip code
Your mobile number:
Last price:
As soon as this is given, payment will be delivered overnight to you via UPS Next Day Delivery, and I will give you the package's tracking number.
Please remove the ad from Craigslist or label it as sold today. I will also add an extra $70 to deter other purchasers until you receive my check.
Thank you, and while we wait for your response, I hope we treat this with good faith. "

Not sure this is a "good faith offer." I responded that I would not sell untill the buyer inspected the tractor and I inspected the buyer. BTW the deposit-to-hold I listed in the add was $100. I priced the tractor, 2004 with 1040 hours, new rear tires and rear hydraulics at $9000 - I think that's a fair price. I'm pretty scam alert - what's others' opinions?

MF
If that person laid cash in my hand I would be afraid it was counterfeit.

/ Seller Beware #112  
I put an old Hemi on CL a few years back, had a guy reply from 150 miles away. Made a low ball offer and I politely declined. Next thing I know, the guy is emailing 2-3 times a day asking all sorts of questions about it, (all covered in my ad). He also includes some chit-chat about cars. etc and I thought 'what the heck' and carried on a conversation for awhile. After about 20 emails, he asks again if I'll take like 1/3 of my asking price.

I tell him others have made higher offers, but if he's interested he can come look at it anytime. At that point, he goes into an irate diatribe, insults and F-bombs fly. So I tell him 'forget it' and 'goodbye'. Then his next angle begins. He has cancer and has always wanted a Hemi, not sure how long he has left, etc. I stopped responding. Not sure if he was BS'ing or not, didn't really care at that point. Point being....THERE ARE ALL KINDS OF NUTS OUT THERE. Seller (and buyer) beware!

/ Seller Beware #113  
Most effective response that I have given is ... YOU ARE A SCAMMER AND HAVE BEEN REPORTED, GO AWAY !!!

/ Seller Beware #114  
"I responded that I would not sell untill the buyer inspected the tractor and I inspected the buyer. MF"
Why did you even respond?
You are dealing 'on the net' and it has No Borders and No Rules.
Whenever I run an ad, I do NOT list my phone or even the email address I used to sign-up on C.L.. I have a different GMAIL account that I use for such things as C.L. eBay and this blog thing, too. Just cannot be too careful.

I include a line or two similar to: "If you want it, put I WANT [item] in the subject line and your NAME and PHONE NUMBER in the body of the email and the BEST TIME TO CALL you to complete the sale. I WILL CALL YOU and arrange a meeting at your convenience."

If I get an email that does NOT include their name, phone and the best time to call - I simply ignore it. If the **** orifice really wants the [item[ advertised, he/she will try again. And, if they supply a valid number (one can check such things) that matches the name given, I'll shoot them a call, acknowledge receipt of their inquiry and LISTEN to what they have to say (letting them do most of the talking).

I ask them when they would like to come see the [item]. Let them commit to a time and day - vague responses are suspicious. I tell them the city I'm in and ask them where they will be coming from (to get an idea of how long it will take them to get here) before giving them the address where they can inspect the [item].

When we agree on a day and time, I tell them to call me back when they are ready to leave (from wherever they said they where) at which point I would give him/her an address that will work for their GPS.

By this time, I've gotten a 'feel' for the caller's credibility. If not, I simply blow them off. And, so far, everyone I've waited for has arrived reasonably close to the scheduled time (or, if late, after calling to get better directions - some are not too bright) with cash in hand leaving with the [item] in hand.

One other point, describe your [item] thoroughly! Try and leave nothing to the imagination. Include pictures of every side, the good, bad and ugly. After all, it is what it is and it's worth what it's worth and what they see's what they'll get so - why put it off?

Don't offer to take deposits to 'hold' the [item] - this ain't the Walmart Lay-a-way. "Best I can do is to suggest you call when you can come see it and see if I still have it to sell."

Do not negotiate via email or phone. If your price is 'right' you will sell it for that. If the come (as I had one do) and want two [item]s for the advertised price of one, maybe split the difference or tell them, sorry, no sale. Since they drove all that way, they might not want to drive all that way back empty handed.

Look at when the party's email arrived in your IN box. Is this some scammer up at 3AM your time fishing for C.L. Suckers? Or just some kid playing with Dad' pc? I find the suspected 'scammers' tend to respond to my ads moments after I've posted them - such coincidences are suspect in and of themselves. But, if they've include a name, phone and best time to call [at a reasonable hour, of course] I'll give ;em a shout.

If there is a voicemail thing, I keep it really short "You emailed about my C.L. ad for [item]. I was calling as requested." I do NOT give my name or any information beyond that. If they do NOT have caller ID they don't even know my number and would need to send another email.

My ads stay up until I sell the [item] and I repost them and may change the price UP or DOWN from time to time - it's like fishing. No need to get anxious. After all, you don't really need the money!

Last edited:
   / Seller Beware #115  
Most effective response that I have given is ... YOU ARE A SCAMMER AND HAVE BEEN REPORTED, GO AWAY !!!
Actually, there is a thing on CL to report unwanted / annoying responders. I do that regularly. Not sure how it works to deter such time wasters. It easy easy enough to do, so "Why not?"

/ Seller Beware #116  
Made a low ball offer and I politely declined.
He's not serious. Tell folks the price shown is the price I'll take - right in the ad. Then, when someone emails you with "Wouldja take" ignore him/her. If he/she does it again, FLAG them right away.

/ Seller Beware #117  
DO NOT listen to anyone on here who tells you, “this might be for real” or “take the check, let it clear, it might be legit.” There is NO statute of limitations on a fraudulent check. Even if it clears and you get the cash, once the bank discovers that it’s bogus they will come to you for reimbursement and you WILL be on the hook. Also, the idea that he’s going to send you a little extra just to delist it is lunacy. A legitimate buyer will establish a true line of communication with you (most likely giving you his cell number) and will also try to bargain you down. People just don’t give money away for no reason. This is outright fraud waiting to happen. These scammers should be hung from a wall in chains and have their toenails ripped out. They are the scum of the earth. How on earth anyone is gullible enough to allow their scams to work is truly amazing. Remember two things : (1) if it’s too good to be true, it usually isn’t. (2) a fool and his money (or in this case his tractor) are soon parted.
Are you talking telephone number or maybe current prison address?

/ Seller Beware #118  
Cashiers cheques on legit Banks that have a local branch near you that can be independently confirmed by you in person should be fine. Like 2 step verification.
May be so. But How was he proposing to get that check in your hands? Were you to give [this stranger] your name and a valid mailing address? Or your bank account routing number?

Best advice is to steer clear and wait for a legit buyer to come see your [item[ with a handful of cash money - twenties, tens, fives and ones ONLY please.

/ Seller Beware #119  
He's not serious. Tell folks the price shown is the price I'll take - right in the ad. Then, when someone emails you with "Wouldja take" ignore him/her. If he/she does it again, FLAG them right away.
The ad had the asking price.....$850 or reasonable offer. And I was OK with taking a lower (reasonable) offer. But not $400 which is just stupid. I responded and told him no. And I said $750 was the lowest I'd go right in my first response.

/ Seller Beware #120  
"give them any personal info... just address and phone number. "
"maybe scam / maybe not. I would take it further if you want to sell"

Really bad advice on both counts. You're anonymous on C.L. there is no 'public record' of your C.L. account or (if you're smart) your private business email.

Certainly not your address or phone. To get the check requires you to provide non-public information to a SCAMMER! Worse yet, depositing it requires disclosing your bank information to a SCAMMER.

"I would take it further if you want to sell" Exactly what SCAMMERS love to hear advised. Of course 'you want to sell' that's why you advertised it for sale in the first place.

THere are nearly three hundred fifty million of us in the USA and dedicated scammers across the globe realize that enough Americans are so gullible that they can make a living betting on our greed and our wanting "to sell."