Seller Beware

/ Seller Beware #81  
Total scam. Got an almost verbatim response with the particulars changed on a plow I advertised on CL. I bit, responding with 'let's make plans to see it first' and provided general directions (an area) to meet and see it. Nothing but crickets.
Retired from IT a couple of years ago and all I can say is if it seems too good... it's a scam. If you didn't request it, it's a scam. Before you respond to any email, text, or call, do your best to determine EXACTLY what you are responding to. Hover your mouse over websites and links and ensure they are what they say they are. If it's a well known brand or site, go directly to the site and do whatever business you need to from there. If there are grammatical or spelling errors.... well no well run business is going to send a letter or communication enmass that says "your accounts are tampered. Please click here to update". Bottom line, if it's too good to be true it's not.
Nim

/ Seller Beware #82  
Yeah, probably a scam.

You could try and get their "cashiers check" and actually deposit it (I would set up another account specifically for this). Once it clears (if it does), take out all of the funds. If you actually get the funds, then no problem..... they can come for the tractor.

Just don't give them any personal info, just public record stuff like address and phone number. Definitely no account numbers etc....
Dumb idea. Although your bank will clear the check, and give you cash in hand you'll find out in around thirty days that the check was fraudulent. At that point your bank will want their money back plus penalties, there may be legal ramifications, and although you say you're pretty scam savvy I'm dubious because this one stinks to high heaven.
It can also be a bot scam to harvest additional info about to sell.
Be smart. Don't even reply.

/ Seller Beware #83  
I bought last car from dealership in MO, 2 hours from me here in AR. Cashier's check, and I had to email them pictures of check the day prior. But this is a dealer, who had my DL , my address and the funds to find and repo and prosecute me if I stole it, and title took a month to get to me.
There are a bunch of scams out there, and they all aren't long distance Nigerian princesses running them.
You old folks watch out for the phone call from a distant grandchild who has been arrested and is needing gift cards (or cash) given to a supposed friend to bail them out. When they say don't call and tell my dad or mother, you will KNOW it is a scam.

/ Seller Beware #84  
Go to the buyers bank with the buyer. Let them get the cashiers check. The bank won't give them a cashiers check if there isn't the funds in their account right there on the spot.

/ Seller Beware #86  
As if you haven't heard yet,,,,, RUN, Run like the wind. Totally a scam!!!

/ Seller Beware #87  
DO NOT listen to anyone on here who tells you, “this might be for real” or “take the check, let it clear, it might be legit.” There is NO statute of limitations on a fraudulent check. Even if it clears and you get the cash, once the bank discovers that it’s bogus they will come to you for reimbursement and you WILL be on the hook. Also, the idea that he’s going to send you a little extra just to delist it is lunacy. A legitimate buyer will establish a true line of communication with you (most likely giving you his cell number) and will also try to bargain you down. People just don’t give money away for no reason. This is outright fraud waiting to happen. These scammers should be hung from a wall in chains and have their toenails ripped out. They are the scum of the earth. How on earth anyone is gullible enough to allow their scams to work is truly amazing. Remember two things : (1) if it’s too good to be true, it usually isn’t. (2) a fool and his money (or in this case his tractor) are soon parted.

/ Seller Beware #88  
I just posted my B2710 on Craigslist. Got the following response:

"From: Andy R Smith
Sat 2/25/2023 9:25 PM
I really appreciate your response.
The first email was addressed to my cousin, who assisted me in contacting the seller because I'm new to Craigslist.
I've been working incredibly long weeks so I won't be able to meet with you before buying, but I'm fine with the price and condition as they are listed on Craigslist. I'll go ahead and issue you a Cashier's Check, and when you have the money and it clears, I'll make plans for pickup.
Please respond as soon as possible with the information provided.
Full name
address, city state and zip code
Your mobile number:
Last price:
As soon as this is given, payment will be delivered overnight to you via UPS Next Day Delivery, and I will give you the package's tracking number.
Please remove the ad from Craigslist or label it as sold today. I will also add an extra $70 to deter other purchasers until you receive my check.
Thank you, and while we wait for your response, I hope we treat this with good faith. "

Not sure this is a "good faith offer." I responded that I would not sell untill the buyer inspected the tractor and I inspected the buyer. BTW the deposit-to-hold I listed in the add was $100. I priced the tractor, 2004 with 1040 hours, new rear tires and rear hydraulics at $9000 - I think that's a fair price. I'm pretty scam alert - what's others' opinions?

MF
That scam is at least as old as Craigslist. I receive a version of that offer virtually every time I post an ad on Craigslist.

/ Seller Beware #89  
I just posted my B2710 on Craigslist. Got the following response:

"From: Andy R Smith
Sat 2/25/2023 9:25 PM
I really appreciate your response.
The first email was addressed to my cousin, who assisted me in contacting the seller because I'm new to Craigslist.
I've been working incredibly long weeks so I won't be able to meet with you before buying, but I'm fine with the price and condition as they are listed on Craigslist. I'll go ahead and issue you a Cashier's Check, and when you have the money and it clears, I'll make plans for pickup.
Please respond as soon as possible with the information provided.
Full name
address, city state and zip code
Your mobile number:
Last price:
As soon as this is given, payment will be delivered overnight to you via UPS Next Day Delivery, and I will give you the package's tracking number.
Please remove the ad from Craigslist or label it as sold today. I will also add an extra $70 to deter other purchasers until you receive my check.
Thank you, and while we wait for your response, I hope we treat this with good faith. "

Not sure this is a "good faith offer." I responded that I would not sell untill the buyer inspected the tractor and I inspected the buyer. BTW the deposit-to-hold I listed in the add was $100. I priced the tractor, 2004 with 1040 hours, new rear tires and rear hydraulics at $9000 - I think that's a fair price. I'm pretty scam alert - what's others' opinions?

MF
RUN!! This is Scam City 2023.

/ Seller Beware #90  
Not sure if it was mentioned but beware of the “I need you to confirm your info and post” link scam as well. Just got another one for a snow plow I’m trying to sell. All they are trying to do is farm info from people. Also never text or call from your personal number. If you are unsure of a message that asks to text them use an app that allows you to use a different number. Most of them are free you just have to deal with the occasional ad. I belong to a scam awareness page and it’s crazy the types of scams that are out there now. It sickens me that people can be ok just stealing from people.