Seized engine

/ Seized engine #12  
Stupid question, any chance it's in gear and the clutch is stuck?
Not at all stupid,slightly stuck piston or two combined with compression and turning mechanicals through clutch would be a heavy load to move by hand. Opening cylinders to relieve compression might be all it takes. I'd certainly use the delay for my advantage by keeping lubrication soaking in cylinders.

/ Seized engine #13  
I was going to mention the clutch. if the clutch is seized you would be trying to turn the whole geartrain if it was in gear, unless in neutral then just the shaft.

/ Seized engine #14  
I was going to mention the clutch. if the clutch is seized you would be trying to turn the whole geartrain if it was in gear, unless in neutral then just the shaft.
If a straight drive tractor, put the transmission in neutral. If a Hydro put the selector lever in neutral. Then jack the rear wheels off the ground and try to rotate the engine. If the clutch is seized the rear wheels will turn.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Seized engine #15  
On that series of Lxx50 models with vertical exhaust there's a 1/4" weep hole on the bottom of the exhaust elbow that's intended to be a drain for any rainwater that goes down the stack. Seafoam running out shows its working.

Last edited:
   / Seized engine #16  
If the engine wasn't seized, I don't see why the starter wouldn't be able to turn it.

Is your battery 100%?

On my backhoe, I had a loose fanbelt. Tight enough to work, loose enough to not really charge....so the battery was slowly dying.

When I try to start it, it would click and start drawing amps but not turn engine over. Got the battery charged and now it's back to starting immediatly.

Of course, this has no bearing on being able (or not) to rotate engine by way of turning the crank by hand....