Roll Up Steel Workshop Doors

/ Roll Up Steel Workshop Doors #11  
I have installed 3 of 3 different sizes and manufacturers. All easier than a sectional door install. Zero maintenance like replacing or oiling rollers.

Last edited:
   / Roll Up Steel Workshop Doors #12  
I have 2 on my Clearspan, 10 foot wide and 14 feet high. Farm Teck sells the doors FYI.

/ Roll Up Steel Workshop Doors #13  
Not sure if easier, but not any longer to install. Mainly the weight of an 11’ door was a bit much, but i found that mounting a harbor freight winch above the opening lifter my door inplace with just 2 guys manhandeling it inplace. Them 6 bolts per side to hold it inplace.
then again, im pretty good at installing sectionals. Ive installed quite a few over the years.

the inroller opener was great, as it wea preinstalled at factory. Beats installing garage door opener.

/ Roll Up Steel Workshop Doors #14  
I just had one installed in our new garage from Janus 12’ wide by 102” tall that’s insulated and I like it. Shipped the packaged door was 525 pounds and almost 14’ wide.

Garage build link

Attachments

• IMG_2283.jpeg
    IMG_2283.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2281.jpeg
    IMG_2281.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2284.jpeg
    IMG_2284.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 83
   / Roll Up Steel Workshop Doors #15  
I have two on my garage. Installed them 3 years ago with the help of my g-son and g-daughter. Ordered them from Janus near Atlanta. Picked them up a week later.

Attachments

• KIMG2416.jpg
    KIMG2416.jpg
    826.7 KB · Views: 68
   / Roll Up Steel Workshop Doors #16  
Janus! That's the one I used twice too. (y)

/ Roll Up Steel Workshop Doors #17  
Drum roll up door is what it's called. They also have some that roll up, but they hinge once halfway up, and the door folds out as it raises. Whole thing mounts on outside surface of wall. Poultry supply for those.

/ Roll Up Steel Workshop Doors #18  
Mine mounts inside to the header across the top of the Clearspan. All inside and when down, there is a very minimal space between the top edge of the door and the outer wall. Had a helluva time mounting it too. Heavy and come rolled up. Mine is actuated with a side mount chain with an internal (and adjustable torsion spring). Not a clue who made mine as they came with the building package.

/ Roll Up Steel Workshop Doors #19  
Door guy here

This is year 30 for me.

Coiling doors come in a few flavors

Trac rite
Janus

These are considered “sheet doors”
They are one continuous piece
Light gauge
Not typically available insulated
Self storage warehouses love them!!!
Some manufacturers do have the motor built into the drum.
They aren’t too bad as long as cycle count per hour is low.

Then we have rolling steel doors
(My typical world)
Cornell
Overhead door
Wayne dalton
Raynor

Sky’s the limit on price/size
Really for commercial/industrial use
R values up too approx 10
Motor or hand chain operated (depending on size)
They door require more substantial structure to mount to as compared to sheet doors

10x10 sheet door takes 2 experienced guys about 45 mins to install once in the building.

10x10 coiling door takes 2 experienced guys about 3 hrs to install once in the building.

Any other questions feel free to ask!

As I scroll thru my photos……I don’t have one good pic to share!

/ Roll Up Steel Workshop Doors #20  
We have 3 roll-up doors on our new shop, they are rated for 180 mph winds, I really dont want to test them.
I will just take their word and the label on the door.