Returning batteries for warranty claim

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #141  
Might be worth repeating a Pace Arrow motor home was giving the owner fits… slow cranking led to battery replacements and a starter.

It would start cold ok but restarting when you got someplace was problematic.

I fixed it adding a $3 ground strap from frame to starter bolt.

The neighbor old man treated me different from that moment on… he was ready to drive it into SF Bay from frustration.

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #142  
I have a formerly really good Odyssey battery that I managed to let go 100% flat this winter. So, I'm now trying to revive it.

My "smart" charger started charging it at first, then eventually decided that it was a 6V battery, and stopped sending significant power to it.

I now have it both jumped to a good battery, and on the charger too. Hopefully not killing my battery that is actually good. But, so far it seems to indicate that it will probably take a full charge.

Anyway, it is a reminder that with deeply discharged batteries, that smart chargers can have unique reactions, not necessarily indicating they're actually very smart, and it is impossible to predict how the battery will take a charge based on the smart charger.

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim
A 12 volt charging system should have a voltage of 13.8-14.2 volts with the engine running at 1/3 throttle. You have a charging system issue.
I wasn’t running at 1/3rd throttle. I was making 13.4 at idle.

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #144  
I have a formerly really good Odyssey battery that I managed to let go 100% flat this winter. So, I'm now trying to revive it.

My "smart" charger started charging it at first, then eventually decided that it was a 6V battery, and stopped sending significant power to it.

I now have it both jumped to a good battery, and on the charger too. Hopefully not killing my battery that is actually good. But, so far it seems to indicate that it will probably take a full charge.

Anyway, it is a reminder that with deeply discharged batteries, that smart chargers can have unique reactions, not necessarily indicating they're actually very smart, and it is impossible to predict how the battery will take a charge based on the smart charger.
Ive been told that an odyssey battery if allowed to go completely dead cannot be recharged….lhave not yet tested this myself. I reciently had a client that self installed a gen not hook up the new required neutral and his brand new odyssey died after a week or so. He told me he tried recharging bat on smart charger to no avail. I walked him thru fixing neutral issue, he took battery back to place he purchased it and they replaced it instead of trying to recharge it. All i know.

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #145  
Ive been told that an odyssey battery if allowed to go completely dead cannot be recharged….lhave not yet tested this myself. I reciently had a client that self installed a gen not hook up the new required neutral and his brand new odyssey died after a week or so. He told me he tried recharging bat on smart charger to no avail. I walked him thru fixing neutral issue, he took battery back to place he purchased it and they replaced it instead of trying to recharge it. All i know.
My significant other managed to flatten the Odyssey in my jeep twice, and old school dumb charger brought it back to life both times....

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #146  
   / Returning batteries for warranty claim #147  
Smart Chargers need to fooled at times always seemed dumb to me but it has worked for me as putting 2 six volts in series.

I had a very dead 6 volt and the old late 1950's auto lot charger that brought it back by first charging on the 12volt setting until I got some gassing and the dropped to 6volt setting.

That old charger has been a real work horse through the years.

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #148  
Smart Chargers need to fooled at times always seemed dumb to me but it has worked for me as putting 2 six volts in series.

I had a very dead 6 volt and the old late 1950's auto lot charger that brought it back by first charging on the 12volt setting until I got some gassing and the dropped to 6volt setting.

That old charger has been a real work horse through the years.
Works well for the intended purpose? Better hold on to it as Ca will be banning it shortly...

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #149  
Works well for the intended purpose? Better hold on to it as Ca will be banning it shortly...
Cant buy anything like it new :-(

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim
Quick update from the scene of the crime
I installed 2 new Deka 900 CCAs and it fired up in 2 seconds.
Making 14.2 at idle right now

Attachments

• IMG_5488.jpeg
    IMG_5488.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 39