Returning batteries for warranty claim

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim
just go to a different store,

Too late little bill21, I have work to do that doesn’t allow me time to drive around lugging 2 50 pound batteries under each arm to other napa dealers and wait for another overnight charging.

frozen battery's generally have swollen cases.

Maybe mine didn’t do what “generally” happens. I don’t know, I’m not a battery scientist.
Only have so much time to run around to different NAPA stores fighting with store managers before $400 seems like a bargain for 2 new batteries. lol

Last edited:
   / Returning batteries for warranty claim #172  
900CCA NAPA “Legend” Batteries dated 11/23 are at 12V and 700 CCA.

In 50* temps, they don’t have enough a$$ left to turn tractor over, so I took them back to NAPA.
NAPA dealer says “leave them overnight and we will test CCA tomorrow after long charge”.

They hook a NAPA tester up to it now and it says 12V 702CCA on one and 12V and 698CCA on the other.

I’m sure an overnight charge will bring them back to life, but will it last?

I’ve had to jump them a couple times and after tractor is running, makes about 13+ on the voltmeter and theres no electrical system light on.

Buy one of above. If tractor cranks with it then you know battery isn't strong enough / not holding charge. Can be battery being drained while setting or bad wiring / corroded connection.
(I have same problem. If I figure my problem out I will update you. I use battery tender or jump box. Once cranked my does alright for a couple of days. (New Holland Workmaster 50. Made in 2015)

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #173  
Not helpful for your current situation, but next time buy from Costco. Interstate batteries free replacement within 3 years no questions asked
I've bought Interstate for my cars for years. Not thrilled that they bill themselves as a religious organization (because there's no telling how THAT plays out), but, at least for now, I set that aside in favor of product quality.

For farm products, however, I shop at our local farm store. Reason? Because ranchers and farmers have a low tolerance for poor quality. If something fails to hold up, they're not shy about telling the store manager, and the store manager's not shy about dumping substandard goods.

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #174  
One thing I do know is putting an old piece of foam or rubber in the bottom of battery tray seems to help prolong the battery life, for vibration dampening, that and using smart trickle chargers. Got over 8 yrs of reliable use with a yuasa power sports battery all my equipment, boats, and vehicles have some sort of extra dampening on them. I also test every new battery I buy with a conductance tester before I install.

Attachments

• KIMG2540.JPG
    KIMG2540.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • KIMG2541.JPG
    KIMG2541.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
   / Returning batteries for warranty claim #175  
I agree with jjeff, I cut a piece of conveyor belt so it fits into each battery tray.

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #176  
I've bought Interstate for my cars for years. Not thrilled that they bill themselves as a religious organization (because there's no telling how THAT plays out), but, at least for now, I set that aside in favor of product quality.

For farm products, however, I shop at our local farm store. Reason? Because ranchers and farmers have a low tolerance for poor quality. If something fails to hold up, they're not shy about telling the store manager, and the store manager's not shy about dumping substandard goods.
I've also had good results with Sam's Club high end commercial AGM batteries. Pricy but I never had one blow acid all over my metal work and they seem to last forever with a smart charger on it just before it gets cold. Keep the charge up.

One thing I do know is putting an old piece of foam or rubber in the bottom of battery tray seems to help prolong the battery life, for vibration dampening, that and using smart trickle chargers. Got over 8 yrs of reliable use with a yuasa power sports battery all my equipment, boats, and vehicles have some sort of extra dampening on them. I also test every new battery I buy with a conductance tester before I install.
The rubber under the battery is a great idea.

Using the modern smart chargers--I use 3A and 5A Genius brand charger and getting 10-12 -13 years is typical. But I do fear batteries made the last couple years because I think they are made cheaper.

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim
My dad taught me to use a small piece of plywood. I do this if the bottom of the battery compartment is metal. Many farm tractor battery compartments are plastic now which seems like it might be an improvement at absorbing vibrations.

I should have followed up on this thread, thanks for keeping it going.

I DO have a parasitic battery draw coming from somewhere. The automatic battery switch does NOT always work. There is a manual battery switch disconnect in the cab I have been using.

Still don’t have all the answers. The tractor sat for about a week with batteries switch disconnected. I connected them via switch and it started right up. That same day I was working on fixing some lighting issues. I had the key on for maybe an hour with some of the lights on, definitely not enough time to draw batteries down. Went to start tractor and it would not turn over fast enough to start. WTH????

There’s still something going on I have to dig into deeper.

1. Automatic battery switch disconnect isn’t working properly. This is an issue, but not the main issue. Its a related issue that would be nice to resolve, especially with a parasitic draw.

2. The batteries have a decent parasitic draw if the switch is not disconnected, but I don’t know what it is and haven’t had time to mess around with it. I will in the next few weeks.

Thanks for keeping this topic going and the suggestions. I will be using the tractor all summer for baling and I dread dead batteries-even with significant jump starting capability, it‘s a waste of time