A warning about LG Appliances in regards to warranty service

/ A warning about LG Appliances in regards to warranty service #1  

jk96

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060
I'm sure they all have their issues with both reliability and service but my experience trying to get LG to cover a compressor failure that is still under warranty has been pretty unbelievable. I've been posting about it on my facebook page and has finally reached a point where I thought I would share a warning with others here. They had a class action lawsuit a few years back about the same lack of service and compressor issues. If you look at their facebook page and scroll through some of the comments you will see quite a few others with the same lack of service I am getting. The other frustration is that every phone call or chat request takes anywhere from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours. In the end I will get this resolved but wanted to post a warning to others on here as this seems to be a common business practice with LG.
Jeremy

Day 1 - called LG. Fridge is out of warranty other than compressor. Explained it has lost all cooling and is likely the compressor which is covered for 5 years. No luck - since I purchased an extended warranty through Nebraska Furniture Mart I have to call them first, otherwise if they come out and it's not the compressor I will be charged for the service call.
I call Assurant extended warranty on Friday the 14th. They are great. Send a tech from A&E factory repair on Monday the 17th.

Day 4 - Monday Jan 17th. A&E shows up, diagnosed a bad compressor. Because the compressor is still covered under LG factory warranty Assurant will not cover it. I have to call LG back to schedule with them. A&E tells me they are LG certified and have a compressor on the truck but can't do the repair until they get a ticket from LG. (I understand that, no complaints) Call LG and they agree to schedule a service call with A&E but can't authorize the tech on site. It will take 3 business days for the request to show in A&E system. I watch the tech who is going to do the repair leave along with the compressor we need.

Day 8 - Call LG for an Update. They provide me with a service ticket number and phone number to call A&E to setup the appointment. Because it is Friday and after 5 have to wait until Monday.

Day 10 - Call A&E on Monday. They have no record of a service request from LG. Call LG and am told A&E rejected the service request. They will send out a new service request for a different repair company.

Day 11 - Call LG. Am told A&E actually did accept the service request. They are scheduled to fix our fridge today between 9 and 5pm. 5pm rolls and round with no one here. Call A&E, they do not have us scheduled, never rejected a service request because they never received one.

Day 12 - Call LG. Explain to them that A&E does not have the service ticket. I request that they delete the request and submit a new service ticket otherwise we will never get a service confirmed. I am told they will contact A&E directly on my behalf and resolve the issue. Will call back the next day.

Day 13 - LG did call me back. Explained to me that the service ticket in their system for A&E actually shows complete and resolved so they cannot issue a new service ticket. They apologize for the problems we are having and explain that our issue will now be sent to their expedited department so they can fix the issue in their system and then send a new request for service out to a repair company. This will take 1 to 2 business days.

Day 14 - Called LG once again and tried to get them to authorize a reimbursement if I send them a repair estimate myself from A&E and had the fridge repaired myself. I was told no. They issued a new service request for Service Power Inc located in................Louisville KY. I am located north of Kansas City, MO 9 hours away.
After confirming they do not have a local center and asking what the next step was when they refused to drive 9 hours and book a hotel to service our fridge. We apparently have to wait 7 days for them to respond. After that our request will be sent to to the claims department for approval of a replacement fridge or refund of our original purchase price.

Day 15
My service request that was sent to a Louisville KY repair company has not been accepted. Big surprise. This request has 5 more business days before it can be escalated to the next step.
In the mean time I seem to have caught enough attention on the social media side to get things moving in another department. John with LG on facebook seemed to understand as I did that the service provider in Kentucky is not going to accept the repair request. He has submitted a request for an "alternative resolution" which typically involves either a new replacement unit or a refund of the purchase price. I also received a text message after talking to John offering to mail a check for $150 as part of our inconvenience. The "alternative resolution" case will be reviewed within 5 business days for approval or denial. Hopefully a positive update by end of next week. It still baffles me that it looks like they are going to refund the fridge or provide a new one as opposed to accepting a repair estimate from me through the same authorized LG service provider they claim to use for our area. A&E would have fixed it within a day of me calling them for around $1,100.

Day 18
You really couldn't make this stuff up. I received a phone call from LG service department this morning. They wanted to inform me that they have received my request for service and would like my serial number from the refrigerator to verify warranty and will need me to upload my purchase receipt for proof of ownership. Upon telling them this was already done almost 3 weeks ago the rep informed me they have no record of it or past request for service but will be glad to expedite my issue. lmao. Thanks LG rep.
In going to my email I see they have now issued not 1 but 4 different service requests back to the original service provider requested A&E Factory service. Last week they couldn't issue a new request when asked because of an existing request, this week they are able to issue 4 at once. Maybe A&E will get one of the 4 this time.
I still have the service request for a refund or replacement going as well. Looks like our 5 days for LG to respond on service has now been reset to today.

/ A warning about LG Appliances in regards to warranty service #2  
Since your compressor is out on your fridge, what are you doing for keeping food cold? Back to the old ice box and adding more ice every few days?

I also have an LG fridge that needed an ice maker solenoid valve replaced because it would not shut off and would overflow. About a $110 repair. Took about 3 weeks before it got fixed. Similar story, even to the point of replacing the whole refrigerator. We had an extended warranty & mfgr's warranty. Extended wouldn't cover it since it was still under mfgr's warranty. LG would not authorize a local repair shop to do it. No LG authorized shops within 4 hr drive and the closest one refused to drive 4 hrs to determine what needed fixing, order the part and make a 2nd trip to fix it. Finally got LG to authorize a local shop, talked to them, they didn't want to make 2 trips either, but after answering a bunch of questions, they ordered a part, came out and fixed the problem. Apparently LG pays very little for their repair work.

We do like the LG equipment, but factory service s--ks. We have an LG mini-split that the local HVAC company maintains for us. It works well and has been mostly trouble free, but sometimes, they have difficulty getting parts - with this COVID stuff, I'm not sure if it's due to the COVID situation or if it is LG delays.

Keep after them and keep records of who you talked to and when. They'll eventually get it fixed, but in the meantime you'll have to get a 2nd fridge to keep your food cold. Then what do you do with that?

/ A warning about LG Appliances in regards to warranty service
Luckily we already had an old fridge we used in the basement for drinks. Whirlpool fridge that is 18 years old and never been serviced.

/ A warning about LG Appliances in regards to warranty service #4  
Incredible! Sorry for your situation and I know this won't help... I didn't buy an LG fridge when I needed a new one two years ago, because of all of their service complaints that I had found.

/ A warning about LG Appliances in regards to warranty service #5  
When we replaced our refrigerator, I was told by several people to stay away from LG....

/ A warning about LG Appliances in regards to warranty service #6  
That blows. I had issues with Samsung, parts not available to anyone but their service team. I coudn't hire anyone else due to lack of information. But your story takes the cake.
I have all LG appliances under a year old. Hoping for best now.

/ A warning about LG Appliances in regards to warranty service #7  
Sounds like a Monday in my job.

/ A warning about LG Appliances in regards to warranty service #8  
Pretty alarming. They get great reviews on consumer reports and planning on buying all LG for new house this year.
I guess I need to revisit this. The issue is that everyone has supply chain issues or blames supply chain issues. I don't now how to separate the two.

/ A warning about LG Appliances in regards to warranty service
Pretty alarming. They get great reviews on consumer reports and planning on buying all LG for new house this year.
I guess I need to revisit this. The issue is that everyone has supply chain issues or blames supply chain issues. I don't now how to separate the two.
This one is not a supply chain issue. We just can't get a service call scheduled through LG. From the first repair tech that came out the fridge will be great once the redesigned compressor is put in. Just hope you don't need service under warranty. We had an issue with the icemaker last year on this same fridge and had similar problems, just not this bad. That one took almost two weeks to get a service call because no one wanted to work on it through LG's warranty. In my posts on facebook Samsung came in second from replies on problems with service issues.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Torch Cart, Regulators, Hose & Smith Torch (A33349)
Torch Cart...
Bobcat 225 NT Trailer-Mounted 225-amp, 8500-Watt Kohler V-Twin Gas Engine, (A33349)
Bobcat 225 NT...
Unused 10-16.5 Skid Steer Tires (A32932)
Unused 10-16.5...
1994 PETERBILT 379 EXHD (A32908)
1994 PETERBILT 379...
John Deere Hay Rake (A33041)
John Deere Hay...
2009 Mack CX4612 (A33526)
2009 Mack CX4612...