Returning batteries for warranty claim

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #161  
Deka is one of the last manufacturing companies left in Pennsylvania of any recognizable size (East Penn Manufacturing). Can you believe that? They aren’t even really that big

We had Bethlehem Steel, US Steel, Lukens Steel, Westinghouse, The Pennsylvania Railroad….all those legacy unforgettable names now just a memory….all made in China now.

Now PA’s 2 biggest employers are the Federal Government and health care systems.

Yippee!!!
You forgot about Sharon Steel btw and Carpenter Technologies has a big stainless mill west of Philly as well.... and Alcoa Aluminum has a large operation in central PA as well.

Lukens was never that big to begin with I might add.

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim
Depending on continued updates… too much invested now.

I think you will like Deka if they are similar to my older Deka battery.

I’m beginning to think the batteries froze

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #163  
They could have, but a fully charged battery is supposed to not freeze until -80°F according to exide technology….or so they say. But a discharged unit can freeze at 32° or so.

but i have my doubts as to the truth to this.

They could have, but a fully charged battery is supposed to not freeze until -80°F according to exide technology….or so they say. But a discharged unit can freeze at 32° or so.

but i have my doubts as to the truth to this.

Maybe previous owner put new batteries in it and the battery shut off switch had a glitch in it and left power on all night?

I notice the B-pillar switches stay lit until the automatic battery disconnect switch clicks.
There’s also a manual battery disconnect switch next to the operators seat. I may have to do the battery disconnect myself until I can trust the auto switch is working.

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #165  
I dislike 'automatic' stuff. Put a master disconnect on the negative battery terminal (I use a knife type) to isolate the jars from the circuits entirely. My batteries never freeze in the barn because they are fully charged when they go to sleep for the winter.

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #166  
So, did you actually get them to warranty the old batteries ?

No, they refused and if they froze like I’m thinking, they won’t warrantee them.
I don’t want any of their JUNK batteries anymore anyway.
As previously said, I bought 3 new dump truck batteries from them through my repair shop and one was no good in less than a year.

My feeling is they buy their batteries from East Penn, but I was told East Penn makes different quality levels of batteries for different big buyers. I tend to think the NAPA versions are on the low end and the DEKA versions are on the high end????

Last edited:
   / Returning batteries for warranty claim #168  
No, they refused and if they froze like I’m thinking, they won’t warrantee them.
I don’t want any of their JUNK batteries anymore anyway

I think you will like the Deka batteries. I have had good service from them over the years. I was leaning towards a charging problem through most of this thread because of the low charging voltage. Those bad batteries were sucking down huge amps.

I think you will like the Deka batteries. I have had good service from them over the years. I was leaning towards a charging problem through most of this thread because of the low charging voltage. Those bad batteries were sucking down huge amps.

Right. They can no longer hold a charge. NAPA charged them and after 2 or 3 pretty brief cranking attempts, they were dead again.
They wouldn’t even jump start with a large John Deere jump starting cart.

I probably won’t be a customer at that NAPA store anymore, but honestly, I think the batteries froze, so I kind of have to temper my ill feelings a bit…

/ Returning batteries for warranty claim #170  
Right. They can no longer hold a charge. NAPA charged them and after 2 or 3 pretty brief cranking attempts, they were dead again.
They wouldn’t even jump start with a large John Deere jump starting cart.

I probably won’t be a customer at that NAPA store anymore, but honestly, I think the batteries froze, so I kind of have to temper my ill feelings a bit…
just go to a different store, frozen battery's generally have swollen cases.