Replace or extend slab around water well?

/ Replace or extend slab around water well? #11  
When I built mine 15 years ago I used 1/2" anchor studs in the slab so I could remove the nuts & washers and lift the "house" up & off with my FEL on my tractor.

DON'T use one leg of your 240v off your pump for running any 120v items like a heat light etc. I ran a separate 120v wire from my shed underground for my 100w flood bulb and have a wall switch in the shed to turn it on (pumphouse has very rudimentary door screwed closed). I built my little pumphouse using R13 batt insulation so I don't even need the light until it gets into the low teens for an extended period. My well driller said the state encourages a slab around a wellhead to help seal from contamination.
I mounted a sub-panel in the pump house and use it to power 120v. stuff like lights, UV bug killer, and a 600w heat lamp. The sub-panel lets me balance the load on the legs. The 200' wire to the house has plenty of ampacity to run the pump and other stuff.

/ Replace or extend slab around water well?
I don't understand how a sub panel helps the loads balance on the legs (though I had it in mind to put a panel there) unless you're running more than one 120v circuit in addition to the 240v pump; the only thing the sub panel provides is better circuit isolation and protection?

I figured a 100w light wasn't going to hurt coming off of one leg, but I'll check the distance & gauge of wire to make sure.

Last edited:
   / Replace or extend slab around water well? #13  
Here's my pumphouse. 8 x 8 feet with a 2 x 2 feet 'dog house' extension covering the well itself. The dog house lid is held on with deck screws. No need to move the building for pump removal, and there's a slab under all of it. I built the walls and trusses at home and hauled them up to the property on my truck/lumber rack before we built our house 25 years ago.
Patrick

Attachments

• IMG_20210403_170603751_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210403_170603751_HDR.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20210403_140628096_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210403_140628096_HDR.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 69
   / Replace or extend slab around water well? #14  
Dirt or concrete - tight to the well casing and sloped away in all directions. Main idea - no ponding right around the well casing. That's why recommendations are - above ground well house. A pit well house poses a potential problem.

/ Replace or extend slab around water well? #15  
34Willys I like your pump house! Ours is a 12x12 roofed corral made of 1x6 ranch boards and was done with fence paint. Ugly and dark inside.
If I redo it, not in the budget just now, I'll use your doghouse idea. Also we need to run electric out to wife's horse stalls so probably will install a sub panel to feed well house, shop shed, carport (yet to build) and stalls/tack.
As to using 220/240 to power lights etc. it's common practice around here to tap one leg for water softeners.

/ Replace or extend slab around water well? #16  
The slab does nothing to protect the well from contamination. The seal for the well needs to be in the annular space between the well bore and the casing and extend down for 10'-25'. A well should be sealed properly because a slab does not seal a well. Big pressure tanks are a thing of the past. Constant pressure pump control systems like the Cycle Stop Valve PK1A use only a 4.5 gallon size pressure tank where the tank and all controls will fit in a 24X14X14 inch box. The PK1A delivers much stronger constant pressure to the house and eliminates pump cycling, which makes pumps last many times longer than normal.

pk1a-md.jpg

/ Replace or extend slab around water well? #17  
I don't understand how a sub panel helps the loads balance on the legs (though I had it in mind to put a panel there) unless you're running more than one 120v circuit in addition to the 240v pump; the only thing the sub panel provides is better circuit isolation and protection?

I figured a 100w light wasn't going to hurt coming off of one leg, but I'll check the distance & gauge of wire to make sure.
Exactly. The constant 120v. load is the 75w. (0.65 amp) UV antibacterial tube, which also feeds a 10w. LED bulb, so that's one leg. The big 120v. load is a 600w (5 amp) heat lamp on a temperature cube that cuts in when well house temp drops below 39 degrees. There is always a small unbalanced load, which kicks up to about 4 amps in cold weather. The feeder is 8 gauge copper, with a 40 amp ampacity, so you see the maximum unbalanced load is small compared to the capacity of the circuit. If I need to run power tools in the pump house, I have a GFI breaker protected outlet. The panel also allows me to shut off the pump locally, which I do if I am running a 15 amp Skil 77. :geek:

/ Replace or extend slab around water well? #18  
I would think about just pouring a slab adjacent to the existing one, but out of the way of the driller's access for your booster pump / filter setup.

FWIW: Our main pump house has a lift off roof, walls that lift off, and a power panel that is attached to the slab and not the walls. All are corrugated iron for fire reasons. Our sediment filter is in with the main pump house prior to the water heading up to our main tanks that gravity feed the ranch. It all fits, just. The piping is so convoluted that if anything ever broke, we would probably have to rip it out and start over. The pipes are insulated, which seems to be enough in this climate, though our other well has foam insulation in the roof. I am reluctant to put insulation in the walls due to rodents.

The lift off roof has come off only once, in sixty or so years, in a recent 60+mph windstorm that toppled more than a few trees locally. The tractor had the roof back on in about three minutes with a pair of forks. I figure having the roof come off beats having the structure pull on water pipes.

All the best,

Peter

/ Replace or extend slab around water well?
Here's my pumphouse. 8 x 8 feet with a 2 x 2 feet 'dog house' extension covering the well itself. The dog house lid is held on with deck screws. No need to move the building for pump removal, and there's a slab under all of it. I built the walls and trusses at home and hauled them up to the property on my truck/lumber rack before we built our house 25 years ago.
Patrick
In the final picture, is that an easily-removable one on top that can be used to hook up a fire hose? What do you call that (and a link, if you still have it)?

/ Replace or extend slab around water well? #20  
Fire hose threads can be somewhat local. If you want to make sure that your local fire department can also connect to your standpipe, I would check with them before buying.

I have bought from Fire Hose Supply | Buy Fire Hose & Adapters Online FireHoseSupply.com My local fire department wants a blue reflector on it as well. If you are connecting to a tank system, I would suggest a high flow fire valve as well.

A friend found out the hard way the importance of having a metal standpipe when a grass fire came through and melted his PVC standpipe...

All the best,

Peter