recommendations on new air compressor, pancake Y or N ?

/ recommendations on new air compressor, pancake Y or N ? #11  
In 1999, I bought an 8gal Craftsman compressor with a handle on one end and wheels on the other. It has served me Very well. But, I certainly don’t bring it in the house. I don’t believe there are any Dogs at the big box stores, DeWalt, Mikita, Craftsman, Campbell Hausfeld, etc. . . So, if you are wanting it to be “Portable”. . . “Easily Portable,” I suggest the main thing you need to do is go to the store and try picking them up, and walking a few steps with them. Some 2-4gal compressors are portable, but very awkward to carry.

And also make sure the tank is big enough to supply you with adequate air flow.

/ recommendations on new air compressor, pancake Y or N ? #12  
As a Contractor, I've bought more small compressors then most people. DeWalt has been the biggest disappointment. Some of them even say that they are built by Emglo, which I consider to be a pretty good air compressor company. I won't list every brand that I've bought and thrown away, but will focus on what to look for.

It is very important to me that that it draws less then 15 amps. At lot less is even better. My current, and overall favorite is a Bostick pancake compressor that I can run off of my Honda 2000 generator. I think it only draws 11 amps, or maybe it's 13, but it's low enough for the Honda to run it all day long. I've learned that a lot of homes will have a 15 amp outlet that trips air compressors that are rated for 14 amps. This forces me to search through their home to find a 20 amp outlet, which can be very time consuming.

You also want the tank to have a drain on it to get rid of all the water that comes in from the humidity in the air. The easier the drain is to operate, the more often you use it!!!

If I was buying today, Makita would be at the top of my list. I think that they make the best power and cordless tools out there. Unlike DeWalt, and a lot of other brands, Makita actually makes their own tools and isn't selling something from China with their name on it. Craftsman used to be a favorite 20 years ago, but now it's as bad as anything sold at Harbor Freight.

Last edited:
   / recommendations on new air compressor, pancake Y or N ? #13  
To each his own but I find that the "hot dog" style portable compressors are easier to carry than the pancake

/ recommendations on new air compressor, pancake Y or N ? #14  
I have one like the Makita pictured above. Only it has extendable handle and wheels like the picture below. Mine is Oil - less and Parts are available for it. I had the air pressure regulator start sticking. Easy replace and available at a reasonable cost. I am assuming you want portable (pancake), but I like wheels, and not those little ones. I have had mine for about 15 years and the use for it is much the same as you stated, only I use a lot of air tools such impact wrench, impact hammer, air rachet, and whizzer.

Watch the cu ft delivery capacity. I can run my whizzer, but must stop some. I don't think any portable will keep up with it. They seem to come in different capacities.

It is so Much easier to pull it with good wheels than carrying anything. I guess I am lazy.......or just older.

Another person posted - pay attention to the current draw. Some 15 amp supply line will not start compressors if the pressure release valve is not tripped.

I am not recommending DeWalt as a compressor. I like Porter Cable, Senco, Makita, Campbell Hausfeld.

images.jpg

Last edited:
   / recommendations on new air compressor, pancake Y or N ? #15  
   / recommendations on new air compressor, pancake Y or N ? #16  
The SIL just bought this one. It's just the right size, for what his uses are (pretty much the same as the OP's). I also fixed his 15 year old Makita, that threw it's belt. Now he has two/options.

I have that same compressor. It doesn’t get used a ton since it’s a little big for my van and isn’t my biggest one if I actually need to do something productive but it’s set in the corner and reliably aired up tires for years.

/ recommendations on new air compressor, pancake Y or N ? #17  
The newer ultra quiet compressors are awesome. I got one this summer to replace a 15 year old Campbell Housefield 15 gallon and love it.

/ recommendations on new air compressor, pancake Y or N ? #18  

I have one like this, there is a smaller version as well and its been fantastic. rolair is going to have a high quality version of whatever type you like.
we also have a honda powered rolair wheelbarrow for larger jobs.

/ recommendations on new air compressor, pancake Y or N ? #19  
   / recommendations on new air compressor, pancake Y or N ? #20  
Hello to all and Merry CHRISTmas,

My 15 gal and prob 20 yr old porter cable compressor is almost ready for the graveyard. Can you pls tell me what pancake compressor [one's they sell today] are the most reliable and versatile? I have a PC framing nail-gun that I use from time to time, do not have a paint spray gun...It's primary use will be for filling tires on tractors, trailers, 4 wheelers, hosing down dirty engines and things, etc. and filling a portable air tank. My usage frequencies varies but it seems like I am filing one or two of 20-30 diff sets of tires, so it's never idle for long periods. I mostly fill a portable air tank to go to the tire source(s).

I received an HD gift certificate so just in time.

Thank you in advance and pls let me know if you have any questions.
If you can swing it, buy a Dewalt 20V Air Compressor for tires. It is the handiest thing I have ever bought. It runs a long time on a single battery, auto set pressure and a light. Have used on everything I own, tractor,trailers,vehicles. Use to fire up the large compressor to fill a small portable tank then carry to wherever and the portable tank would be good for a couple tires, depending on pressure of course.
Yes, I know my advice then is (2) units, one AC one battery machine. But for tires, I think you'd be extremely happy with the Dewalt.