Mowing Rear Grooming Mower VS. MMM

/ Rear Grooming Mower VS. MMM
From all the research that I have done on Kubota their BX series tractors seem to be the most problematic. Would you agree with this or not?

I find a fair amount of BX drive-over deck owners dissatisfied, but I’m very mechanical, so I wanted to write it off as ignorance. In most cases, I really believe it is. I watch these videos on line and can’t believe how many first-time tractor owners don’t know jack, and talk like they are experts. I’m my case, I’ve had issues, but really have been to busy to just get down and dirty to scrutinize the mechanics and figure out the roots to the problems.

I really believe there are several circumstances that make the drive-over go awry:

First you have to keep the deck clean. Dirt is not your friend with the moving parts and sub-chassis.

Second, the self-align collet has to be greased. It is a wonder contraption, but if not, it will bind when trying to slide the lever to separate. The first year, I had to beat on the lever with a rubber mallet to separate the collet.

Third, I think I may need to lube the alignment pins because often when dismounting, it binds there, and one side pulls out first sliding the deck a bit sideways, and then you are driving off sideways a bit.

Lastly, I am going to drill in pins in my concrete barn floor to hold the deck steady as I back off. That will cure a major issue. I cannot figure out for the life of me how these videos show guys driving on and off with the deck on asphalt. I even drop the front anti-scalp wheels to zero and flip the rears up so the deck has maximum contact with the ground, and it still slides. I noted in the BX 80-Series brochure, where they show the deck process, they don’t even show flipping up the back wheels.

Maybe if we get out of -10 temperatures here and the snow piles in August, I’ll put the deck back on and figure it out.

Thanks to all who responded here, and let me relax my panties twisted up like a balsa wood airplane rubber band.

/ Rear Grooming Mower VS. MMM #22  
I find a fair amount of BX drive-over deck owners dissatisfied, but I知 very mechanical, so I wanted to write it off as ignorance. In most cases, I really believe it is. I watch these videos on line and can稚 believe how many first-time tractor owners don稚 know jack, and talk like they are experts.
Yeah I can see that. They're real life Tim Allen's who never read their manuals.

I知 my case, I致e had issues, but really have been to busy to just get down and dirty to scrutinize the mechanics and figure out the roots to the problems.

I really believe there are several circumstances that make the drive-over go awry:

First you have to keep the deck clean. Dirt is not your friend with the moving parts and sub-chassis.

Second, the self-align collet has to be greased. It is a wonder contraption, but if not, it will bind when trying to slide the lever to separate. The first year, I had to beat on the lever with a rubber mallet to separate the collet.

Third, I think I may need to lube the alignment pins because often when dismounting, it binds there, and one side pulls out first sliding the deck a bit sideways, and then you are driving off sideways a bit.

Lastly, I am going to drill in pins in my concrete barn floor to hold the deck steady as I back off. That will cure a major issue. I cannot figure out for the life of me how these videos show guys driving on and off with the deck on asphalt. I even drop the front anti-scalp wheels to zero and flip the rears up so the deck has maximum contact with the ground, and it still slides. I noted in the BX 80-Series brochure, where they show the deck process, they don稚 even show flipping up the back wheels.

Maybe if we get out of -10 temperatures here and the snow piles in August, I値l put the deck back on and figure it out.

Thanks to all who responded here, and let me relax my panties twisted up like a balsa wood airplane rubber band.

My thought is if it requires this much thought then it's not user-friendly and the design needs a lot more refining by Kubota.

/ Rear Grooming Mower VS. MMM #23  
I find a fair amount of BX drive-over deck owners dissatisfied, but I’m very mechanical, so I wanted to write it off as ignorance. In most cases, I really believe it is. I watch these videos on line and can’t believe how many first-time tractor owners don’t know jack, and talk like they are experts. I’m my case, I’ve had issues, but really have been to busy to just get down and dirty to scrutinize the mechanics and figure out the roots to the problems.

Lastly, I am going to drill in pins in my concrete barn floor to hold the deck steady as I back off. That will cure a major issue. I cannot figure out for the life of me how these videos show guys driving on and off with the deck on asphalt. I even drop the front anti-scalp wheels to zero and flip the rears up so the deck has maximum contact with the ground, and it still slides. I noted in the BX 80-Series brochure, where they show the deck process, they don’t even show flipping up the back wheels.

Maybe if we get out of -10 temperatures here and the snow piles in August, I’ll put the deck back on and figure it out.

Do you use 4wd to drive over the deck? I don't have a BX with the DO deck but have used other mowers that allow you to drive over and never had a sliding problem with them in 4wd.

/ Rear Grooming Mower VS. MMM #24  
We ditched our JD with a MMM and got a Zero Turn. No regrets. If I never see a MMM ever again, it will be too soon.

IOW, if you're thinking about springing for a new MMM, consider a Zero Turn instead. Yeah, it's two more cylinders to feed and another engine to take care of, but that's nothing compared to a MMM.

Just my $.02 and worth even less :)

/ Rear Grooming Mower VS. MMM #25  
We ditched our JD with a MMM and got a Zero Turn. No regrets. If I never see a MMM ever again, it will be too soon.

IOW, if you're thinking about springing for a new MMM, consider a Zero Turn instead. Yeah, it's two more cylinders to feed and another engine to take care of, but that's nothing compared to a MMM.

Just my $.02 and worth even less :)

Which model JD did you have?