Quonset Hut vs Conainer

/ Quonset Hut vs Conainer #11  
The Xframe is stronger for snow weight. I would not recommend elderly persons do this. The height and weight is a component of concern. I built my own baseplate. I found it very helpful for assembly. I would have bought the baseplate if it were 3k or less. The X frame was more like 7k for 48’ long. I feel that is not right priced.

Attachments

• IMG_1749.jpeg
    IMG_1749.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 60
   / Quonset Hut vs Conainer #12  
I have a 25x36 Steelmaster A-model q-hut and has been trouble free and I would do it again. I built a scaffolding on a truck so I could move it and put up each section completed. After you have 3 rings up, it gets way easier because it is self supporting at that point. Having 4 people sure made a difference...maybe 6? The exposed threads on the bolts inside allow all sorts of opportunities to attach shelves, conduit, cord/tool hangers, elec outlets, kayak/bike hangers etc. by using double nuts. You have no gutters to mess with either.

/ Quonset Hut vs Conainer #13  
As mentioned, an 8' wide sea container is very difficult to use effectively for anything other than shelving.
Floor items will need to be moved out and in constantly to access stuff beyond it.

/ Quonset Hut vs Conainer #14  
As mentioned, an 8' wide sea container is very difficult to use effectively for anything other than shelving.
Floor items will need to be moved out and in constantly to access stuff beyond it.
I have a 20 ft. container with doors on both ends. Well worth the extra cost. Also - I like that it is literally rodent proof.

/ Quonset Hut vs Conainer #15  
Farm just had a single use 20' delivered and placed...

Prices are roughly double from 15 years ago...

Container, delivery and tax close to 3k

The need for rodent proof storage drove the purchase as even items in the large heavy plastic tubs allow rodents to gnaw through and the hope is the 2023 container will be a barrier.

Rodents have had a very good year and it could be all the rain last season.

1700718367603.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Quonset Hut vs Conainer #16  
That's a good price for a single use. Must be a west coast thing with all the Chinese importation brings an abundance of empty cans vs the east coast.

/ Quonset Hut vs Conainer #17  
I am constantly getting emails from these folks with buildings on clearance some are pretty good deals, get your name and email on their list and watch for something you want.
SteelMaster Buildings
844-559-8582

/ Quonset Hut vs Conainer #18  
My ranching cousins have had a Quonset hut for at least my lifetime. The ranch has been in their family for 150+ years. The building has served them well. Snow doesn't accumulate on the roof, rain runs right down the corregated channels. Just need some gravel where it hits the ground.

That being said, their newer buildings are much bigger steel units that can fit many pieces of large equipment (combines, etc.)

/ Quonset Hut vs Conainer #19  
Farm just had a single use 20' delivered and placed...

Prices are roughly double from 15 years ago...

Container, delivery and tax close to 3k

The need for rodent proof storage drove the purchase as even items in the large heavy plastic tubs allow rodents to gnaw through and the hope is the 2023 container will be a barrier.

Rodents have had a very good year and it could be all the rain last season.

View attachment 833419
Not allowed here, against local zoning. No issue with me. I just place dryer sheets under the hoods and in the cabs and in the covered implements and a few mousers living in the barns. No mouse issues here, never have been. Dryer sheets and mousers are a lot less costly than any container will ever be.

/ Quonset Hut vs Conainer #20  
Mostly for all the off season storage of Christmas inventory and supplies…

Here I was thinking California would be the most restrictive but with AG zoning ok.

Everything from signs, tree netting, popcorn machine, tables, handicrafts, tables, the tree trunk drills, etc.

A tub with 100’s of tree transport netting was taken over by rats the power cord for the drill stand machines gnawed, etc.

Plus high dollar items like the craft tents…

A picture during set up of one of the tents

Attachments

• IMG_20231118_162347403.jpg
    IMG_20231118_162347403.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 49
Last edited: