Ballast Question on ballast box

/ Question on ballast box #31  
Just out of curiosity, guys, why do you all use ballast boxes instead of just a heavy attachment, like a box blade, that has an additional use?

On my little 'ole 790, anyway, I've found that my FEL can't lift more weight than my BB can offset. And that's with the extra shims in.

Simply don't need a BB? Worried about size? Cost? Bigger tractor than a 790?

Just curious....

No way do I want a bulky attachment following me around when I am doing loader work.

The BB hangs close to my rear tires, is very compact and it is really a no brainer....it's the ideal tool designed to improve the overall performance of a tractor when when moving heavy loads.

And, they around $200. Don't think you can get a 600lb. attachment for as little money.

/ Question on ballast box #32  
I would like to go concrete, but I'm worried how my 2305 would handle the extra weight.

I have a B3030 cabbed tractor with loaded rear turfs. What would be the maximum or ideal weight for a ballast box without doing damage to the tractor? I know this might sound like a dumb question (yes I know there are no dumb questions) but is there a chart somewhere that says xx amount is the maximum or ideal weight for a ballast box? Does this make sense?

/ Question on ballast box #33  
I have a B3030 cabbed tractor with loaded rear turfs. What would be the maximum or ideal weight for a ballast box without doing damage to the tractor? I know this might sound like a dumb question (yes I know there are no dumb questions) but is there a chart somewhere that says xx amount is the maximum or ideal weight for a ballast box? Does this make sense?

In your operators manual, it should list the required rear ballast. I know the JD manuals do...

/ Question on ballast box #35  
When I was moving across the street to the new house 2 1/2 years ago I had a new B3030HSDCC recently delivered & an empty balast box. I needed something for weight in there & also found I needed a place to store old tire chains & tow chains. Those chains are handy to have with sometimes. If you get a little stuck just lay some chain at the tires for extra traction. It works pretty good as long as you don't dig yourself in real deep before you lay the chain down. And the chain is handy for securing things in the FEL bucket.

/ Question on ballast box
Sorry guys for not responding earlier. Had to leave unexpectedly.:eek: Anyway, was very surprise and please to see all these responds and ideas from so many members.:) After reading every answers, (4 time) this is what I think I'm going to do. My 2 front implement are fel and snowblower. The fel is the one that needs the most ballast, but the snowblower needs a little less since to much weight will makes it lose front traction when I want to turn with the blower on the float position. So I will add cement to the ballast box halfway to 3/4 and use something else for extra weight when it comes to the fel. Will also add the receiver tube for a hitch and the pvc pipe to carry some garden tools around. I also think the plastic liner inside is not a bad idea. So here a few question

JB4310, any particular reason why you have the pvc pipe so high? I was thinking of making mine a couple of inches above the concrete to minimize the risk of breaking the pipes. And could you or anyone explain to me roughly what is a ''dimpled board''? I also have to make sure that no dirt goes inside those pipe and clogs the drain holes. Wouldn't it be better to drill a drain hole just above the concrete instead of in the pipe? Anyway guys, I appreciate your impute.:thumbsup: Its nice to have people giving there experience, good or bad. Helps your friendly neighborhood not to do the same mistake.:eek: Henri

/ Question on ballast box #38  
I guess I'll remain the odd man out on this one. I know whatcha mean about side-swiping a car, though. Haven't done it yet, but I can visualize it, for sure. But if I can get the FEL through there, I can get the BB through there. More worried about the rear blade or mower, for that matter. Or log splitter!

I guess if I'm going to spend X on a ballast box, I'd rather spend X on an implement that isn't, literally, dead weight. Maybe a bush hog or a tooth bar or a DVD player with a beer holder or something.

But, like I said previously, I can't outlift my BB---even with my pallet forks---so, for me, I don't need the weight. And as far as hitting things in the woods, I'm satisifed to let 'er bash away.

Don't mean to be contrary and it sounds like you guys have your reasons. But maybe I can persuade a newer owner to join me on the dark side...

Barely:

I'll give you a little moral support!

When I bought my 2305, I also bought the 47" snowblower, FEL, and a Woods 48" box blade (have since accumulated other implements). The box blade has been a great implement for me, based on the uses I have for my tractor. I routinely use it for ballast with the FEL. I usually have a need for the BB when I'm using my FEL. I have not seen a need for ballast with the snowblower, and see no reason to spend money for another box which does nothing more than the box blade does.

So, I guess I'm "on the dark side" with you.

/ Question on ballast box #39  
Sorry guys for not responding earlier. Had to leave unexpectedly.:eek:

JB4310, any particular reason why you have the pvc pipe so high? I was thinking of making mine a couple of inches above the concrete to minimize the risk of breaking the pipes. And could you or anyone explain to me roughly what is a ''dimpled board''? I also have to make sure that no dirt goes inside those pipe and clogs the drain holes. Wouldn't it be better to drill a drain hole just above the concrete instead of in the pipe? Anyway guys, I appreciate your impute.:thumbsup: Its nice to have people giving there experience, good or bad. Helps your friendly neighborhood not to do the same mistake.:eek: Henri

Did you get a time out? :)

I have the pipes high for more support, not sure if it's necessary and your right they could break easier that's why maybe steel pipe would be better.
A dimple board is just a piece of plastic that leaves a gap between the bottom of the concrete and the box bottom to allow drainage, when you have hole drilled in bottom of box, so any water that went down the pipe would have a path to drain out the bottom of the box.

JB.

/ Question on ballast box
Got it. Thanks JB. What about drilling a hole on the side of the BB just above the cement for drainage. Would you recommend it?

Last edited: