Question about trailer with steering?

/ Question about trailer with steering? #1  

Sodo

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B-series & Mini Excavator
Is there an easy way to configure a steerable trailer that has a front axle with steering knuckles and tie-rod? If anyone knows of pics on the net that I can look at this, please tell me where. Not interested in examples where the whole axle pivots (like a kids wagon).

Can the steering be controlled by the drawbar, or does it just "follow" like a car on a towbar? Seems to me following will work, but can you maneuver if you back it?

This project is for moving shipping containers around off-road. Not to be road-legal. Here is an example trailer pic (of steering axle) that I found searching "trailer with front steering" but it appears to be simply passive steering.
451747d1451242631-question-about-trailer-steering-_75-jpg

Again, this is not my pic, it's one I found on the internet to discuss 'trailer steering'. There are other options but just wondering about the feasibility of front steering.

Attachments

• $_75.JPG
    $_75.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 5,812
   / Question about trailer with steering? #2  
Every hay wagon I have ever seen has what you are describing.

/ Question about trailer with steering?
OK thanks, "Hay wagon steering" gets some decent pics.

Seems like if the mechanism keeps the wheels parallel with the drawbar it ought to work. I could imagine this can get you into trouble backing. You can't let the truck get too far out of alignment with the drawbar. I have a backup camera that can help with this.

/ Question about trailer with steering? #4  
hay wagons, gravity flow wagons, grain carts ... maybe search farm wagons.

/ Question about trailer with steering? #5  
I would get an old hay wagon with the adjustable center tube to adjust the wagon length. Then I'd make what ever type of bed you need to move your containers around. Do you have a way to pick them up off the ground? My neighbor had an old hearse chassis that was converted into a hay wagon and iirc the tie rods were just attached to the tongue for steering. If you have never done it before, backing up a hay wagon is a notable feat. I just chuckle when the super truckers on here complain about backing up a GN when the real challenge is a wagon with a tongue. I never did master it but split brakes and 2wd make things ALOT easier. Trying to back them up hill is even more fun.

/ Question about trailer with steering? #6  
For backing, if at all possible you want to push with the front of your tractor.

/ Question about trailer with steering? #7  
hay wagons, gravity flow wagons, grain carts ... maybe search farm wagons.

Add "running gear" to your search list. The running gear is the axles, frame and drawbar that go under hay wagons, gravity wagons, chopper boxes, etc. Around here they start around $400. Can't go very fast down the road, maybe 25 mph tops with good tires and tight steering. Forget backing it up with a truck. Well, maybe you know something I don't about backing up a trailer, but DT is right about hitching the tongue to the front of your vehicle and pushing them in reverse. Even this is difficult. They are handy items to have on the farm, though.

/ Question about trailer with steering? #8  
Add "running gear" to your search list. The running gear is the axles, frame and drawbar that go under hay wagons, gravity wagons, chopper boxes, etc. Around here they start around $400. Can't go very fast down the road, maybe 25 mph tops with good tires and tight steering. Forget backing it up with a truck. Well, maybe you know something I don't about backing up a trailer, but DT is right about hitching the tongue to the front of your vehicle and pushing them in reverse. Even this is difficult. They are handy items to have on the farm, though.

Yep running gear ... they easy to back up, just always have go the opposite of any other trailer

/ Question about trailer with steering? #9  
I wonder how hard or easy it is to back up the 4 wheel steer wagons.

Bruce

/ Question about trailer with steering? #10  
I wonder how hard or easy it is to back up the 4 wheel steer wagons.

Bruce

As noted, it works opposite a non steering trailer. It takes a light touch and careful planning because it will jackknife much quicker. Back in the old days on the farm everyone "knew" how to back one up but would go to extremes to avoid having to actually do it. If I never have to back up another one it will be too soon.