Generator PTO generator weather proofing

/ PTO generator weather proofing #41  
My used pto generator OEM voltmeter was bad so voltage and hertz was low. Too low. So the extra meters help me gain confidence. Have yet to do a full house test. Hope I didn’t buy a bad generator.

Have several other generators we have used over the decades for backup power. Always looking to improve our options before an emergency.

I ran my 15kw on a whole house test when I got it.... Unfortunately it won't power 2 zones of air conditioning. Doesn't matter too much, as I can run one portable 12k btu portable AC unit to keep the temperature down in that area.
I also have several generators, and seem to have a collection problem. A 2k super quite inverter for around the property, a 3.5kw inverter generator for lights, coffee, TV, and internet for short outages. I have only used the whole house pto generator for longer outages a few times over the past couple of years.

/ PTO generator weather proofing #42  
I ran my 15kw on a whole house test when I got it.... Unfortunately it won't power 2 zones of air conditioning. Doesn't matter too much, as I can run one portable 12k btu portable AC unit to keep the temperature down in that area.
I also have several generators, and seem to have a collection problem. A 2k super quite inverter for around the property, a 3.5kw inverter generator for lights, coffee, TV, and internet for short outages. I have only used the whole house pto generator for longer outages a few times over the past couple of years.
You can try adding a soft starter to the ac units. They drop out aprox 60% of the start up load of compressor. Ive used them many times over the years to help ac loads with generators.

/ PTO generator weather proofing
1.5” vent holes around the top but below the top lip. Rotatable prop to raise the lid for extra venting if needed.
IMG_2854.JPG

Three blocks and locking cam clamps solidly secure the cover to the deck. 4.5” band added to the cover from the cut off bottom for strength. Steel plates and 2,000# clamps sandwich the two layers. Makes removing and securing the cover quick and easy.
IMG_2857.JPG

IMG_2855.JPG

Large hole is for 50amp 240v cord.

Magnetic contact thermometer on alternator to monitor temperatures during testing operations
IMG_2856.JPG

Optional considerations of a powered, thru the wall 10” fan. HG Power 10 Inch Shutter Exhaust Fan with Mesh Screen, 647CFM Low Noise Shed Exhaust Fan for Ventilation Use, 10" Silent Wall Mounted Extractor Fan for Basement, Gable, Chicken Coop, Black https://a.co/d/8X5TgA5

Cover significantly reduces noise from the generator.

Installed new voltage, hertz, and amperage meters. Not sure why the OEM voltage meter is bad? Bought the generator used. Digital meters fraction of cost of a replacement and give more meaningful information. Replacement $140, all four digital $22. Lighted meters easier to read. Even when talking to the Winco technician, hertz is more important than voltage with a pto generator.
IMG_2901.jpeg

Did a 4 hour test connected to the house.
Rock steady power while while turning on/off loads. No fluctuations of hertz while testing. Large load like 5400watt electric clothes dryer like normal power.
IMG_2899.jpeg

Liked being able to monitor hertz and voltage inside and at the generator.
IMG_2889.jpeg

Monitored temperature with contact and non-contact thermometers. Cover did trap some heat. 15-25 degrees F above than without cover with lid closed. Mostly from gearbox as alternator is fan cooled. Going to add powered fan. Some well placed louvers in the sides to allow the alternator fan to blow thru would probably work too. Powered fan with shutters will also give me visual confirmation from inside the house. Cover idea still needs some work. Cover did significantly reduce noise from generator. Cover not only protects from rain/snow during use but also from dust from storage in the barn. Caster wheel base makes for easy storage and tractor hook up.

Used measuring cup to check fuel consumption after test. 0.57gallons/hour.

/ PTO generator weather proofing #45  
I think I may need to stop reading this thread! That is a very useful and well done setup, and you are adding projects to my list.
Other than in testing where I maxed out my 15kw pto generator, the hertz and rpms remain fairly constant in normal use.

Completed testing and modifications on the generator and cover.
The OEM voltmeter was bad so took the opportunity to upgrade and add hertz and amp-meters.

Happy with the trash container cover for storage and use during inclement weather. Needs to be mobile and service several homes and buildings. Does cut down on noise. Installed a fan for improved cooling.

Four hour test with B26 used 0.57gph powering home. Rock steady hertz and voltage during test with high load switching.
IMG_2855.jpeg
IMG_2899.jpeg
IMG_2901.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
IMG_2912.jpeg
IMG_2914.jpeg

Ready for all weathers.

/ PTO generator weather proofing #47  
Nice looking setup.
If you don't mind me asking, where'd you get the separate HZ and Volt meters? All I could find was a combined meter V, A and HZ

/ PTO generator weather proofing #48  
Looks real nice, that's a very beefy container you found!

FYI, by "hertz meter" and "steady hertz" you really mean "frequency" it's like nails on a chalkboard to me lol
Frequency meter, and steady frequency, both are measured in hertz in this case, a frequency of 60Hz, 60 cycles per second.

Nice looking setup.
If you don't mind me asking, where'd you get the separate HZ and Volt meters? All I could find was a combined meter V, A and HZ
Amazon, about $5 each. Fits a 7/8” hole.

IMG_3026.jpeg

Added this meter to the 120v, 10gauge generator cord. Can use as regular extension cord to monitor any appliances. Resetable kWh meter. Power factor is an interesting parameter. My EE off-grid friend say this is important as more of our loads become inductive than resistive when making your own power. Much I’m learning to understand. Like easy to read meters.

Using normal power on air fryer. This one is supposedly good for modified sine wave from inverter generator. Haven’t tried that yet. Box and meter -$36 on Amazon.