Propane Regulator freeze

/ Propane Regulator freeze #1  

woody

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, Kubota ZG222, Kubota L45, 1980 Ford 1700
Okay I installed a gas fire place last year and about half way through the tank of fuel my gas logs went out and would not lite back up. since the fire logs where new to us we did use them a lot so I thought we had used up the gas but after checking the gauge it showed half a tank but still no gas to the logs. I called the gas company to have the tank checked and filled and he said it was half full that the regulator must have froze up. that's not good since this is my back up heat for the house. is this possible and what can I do to prevent it from freezing again?

/ Propane Regulator freeze #2  
Vendor claimed that would happen if I insisted on using 20# tank and regulator. They installed two 100# tanks and and auto-changeover regulator. Can't say I have really put it to the test but it hasn't froze.

/ Propane Regulator freeze #4  
Okay I installed a gas fire place last year and about half way through the tank of fuel my gas logs went out and would not lite back up. since the fire logs where new to us we did use them a lot so I thought we had used up the gas but after checking the gauge it showed half a tank but still no gas to the logs. I called the gas company to have the tank checked and filled and he said it was half full that the regulator must have froze up. that's not good since this is my back up heat for the house. is this possible and what can I do to prevent it from freezing again?

A 20LB cylinder has about 4 gallons of LP when full and will vaporize the liquid until empty. How many btu is the log set ? Was there a frost line on the tank while the log set is running ? I would suggest a larger tank filled by an LP company so that any inherent moisture issues with the LP are taken care of by the LP company.

/ Propane Regulator freeze #5  
I have 2 regulators. One at the 500 lb tank and one at the house. The one at the house will freeze up during the winter if it gets moisture inside it. Hot water over the regulator will un thaw it. I have since started wrapping the regulator in the winter months with a packing blanket and have never had another issue. So the tank size has nothing to do with it. The LP company recommended the hot water trick and then I came up with the wrapping trick. But in actuality I should probably build a little roof over the regulator to keep out the moisture.

/ Propane Regulator freeze #6  
I have 2 regulators. One at the 500 lb tank and one at the house. The one at the house will freeze up during the winter if it gets moisture inside it. Hot water over the regulator will unthaw it. I have since started wrapping the regulator in the winter months with a packing blaket and have never had another issue. So the tank size has nothing to do with it.

well that is incorrect. Tank that is too small and uses an integral two or single stage regulator is more prone to freeze ups than a 500 with a first stage / second stage. You may ask your propane supplier to add some methanol.

/ Propane Regulator freeze #7  
well that is incorrect. Tank that is too small and uses an integral two or single stage regulator is more prone to freeze ups than a 500 with a first stage / second stage. You may ask your propane supplier to add some methanol.

I think it's more about where the regulator is located than anything. North side of the house and is only affected by freezing rain, snow seems to have no affect. But thanks

/ Propane Regulator freeze #8  
An undersized regulator would do this. You need to know the BTU of the log lighter and size appropriately! I’m going to take a SWAG and say you are using an undersized el cheapo regulator.

/ Propane Regulator freeze #9  
Doofy will be able to relate to this. The year we lived in Glennallen, AK our cook stove was propane. We had a 100# propane tank outside. When we would get up in the AM - alway flip the switch and turn the small heat lamp on. The heat lamp heated up the propane regulator. Things would flow - we cooked breakfast.

/ Propane Regulator freeze #10  
Doofy will be able to relate to this. The year we lived in Glennallen, AK our cook stove was propane. We had a 100# propane tank outside. When we would get up in the AM - alway flip the switch and turn the small heat lamp on. The heat lamp heated up the propane regulator. Things would flow - we cooked breakfast.

This was a definite problem back when Alaska got cold, really cold. Now, not so much. We either used a light bulb near the regulator or would hold our finger over the vent and pour hot water over the regulator. The real pain was hauling that 100 pounder to town to be filled. I could not carry that now.