Propane Regulator freeze

/ Propane Regulator freeze #11  
I have 2 regulators. One at the 500 lb tank and one at the house. The one at the house will freeze up during the winter if it gets moisture inside it. Hot water over the regulator will un thaw it. I have since started wrapping the regulator in the winter months with a packing blanket and have never had another issue. So the tank size has nothing to do with it. The LP company recommended the hot water trick and then I came up with the wrapping trick. But in actuality I should probably build a little roof over the regulator to keep out the moisture.

Just be sure you leave the regulator vent open when you wrap it.

/ Propane Regulator freeze #12  
Okay I installed a gas fire place last year and about half way through the tank of fuel my gas logs went out and would not lite back up. since the fire logs where new to us we did use them a lot so I thought we had used up the gas but after checking the gauge it showed half a tank but still no gas to the logs. I called the gas company to have the tank checked and filled and he said it was half full that the regulator must have froze up. that's not good since this is my back up heat for the house. is this possible and what can I do to prevent it from freezing again?

I think you need a different gas supplier if they didn't answer these questions then help you prevent a reaccurance.

I

/ Propane Regulator freeze #13  
I have had my regulator next to my house freeze up in -20* degree weather at night and what I do is poor tap water on it and tap it with a hammer and it would open back up, I have had to do this a couple times in cold winters and finally last year when we were having -30 temps it finally stopped working all together( condensation and rubber do not go hand in hand in cold weather), had to have the propane company come out and put a new one on, the one that went bad was at least 30 years old. Thank goodness for backup heat.

Last edited:
   / Propane Regulator freeze
Okay first of all thanks for the replies. I'll try to answer some of the questions.

the tank is a 120 Gallon tank and is maintained by the local gas company.
the logs are 24K BTU on low and 32K BTU on high
the tank is on the Northwest side of the house
I can run a light out to it, but I am concerned about putting a possible ignition source that close and since it is my back up heat the power would be out when needed the most anyway.

/ Propane Regulator freeze #16  
It will help if you wrap in some insulation during the colder days. I had to go to my MIL's house the other day when we had that cold spell. Her regulator was froze and wouldn't supply her furnace with enough gas

Where in AL are you ?

/ Propane Regulator freeze
It will help if you wrap in some insulation during the colder days. I had to go to my MIL's house the other day when we had that cold spell. Her regulator was froze and wouldn't supply her furnace with enough gas

Where in AL are you ?

Talladega, but I have not used it this year was remembering it happening last year

/ Propane Regulator freeze #18  

That sounds like it would make the problem worse, not better.

Assume the liquid in tank has cooled to ambient temperature. Then it expands in regulator, gets colder when it expands. Air is warmer than the regulator. Insulating the regulator only helps keep it away from the warmer air making the problem worse.

This is a problem for CNG and LP vehicles where heated regulators are common.

/ Propane Regulator freeze #19  

Assume the liquid in tank has cooled to ambient temperature. Then it expands in regulator, gets colder when it expands. Air is warmer than the regulator. Insulating the regulator only helps keep it away from the warmer air making the problem worse.

Yep, the forklifts at work have regulators that take liquid propane, heat it with coolant and vaporize it to burn in the engine.

Aaron Z

/ Propane Regulator freeze #20  

Most propane tanks have a flip over top. I insulate them and close the top. Never have any more issues unless the insulation gets removed.
Only reason my MIL had an issue the other day was, the propane company removed the insulation when he filled the tank last time and didn't replace it