Plowing Mishap

/ Plowing Mishap #41  
Usually an old plow that's been converted for its last "tour of duty" on a tractor has quite a bit of "slop" worn into it. Any further movement is going to take a decent bit of customization to the mountain set up.
In extreme rolling grade situations, modifying your approach.

/ Plowing Mishap #42  
Usually an old plow that's been converted for its last "tour of duty" on a tractor has quite a bit of "slop" worn into it. Any further movement is going to take a decent bit of customization to the mountain set up.
In extreme rolling grade situations, modifying your approach.
There's one place I could use more slop. Our driveway comes in flat from the road, then has a fairly steep hill that transitions into a larger parking / turnaround area. It's difficult to get a spot scraped clean unless it is approached for a certain direction because the tractor and blade don't "swivel" enough to keep the blade flat on the paving. The paving has a slight twist in its plane. Picture having one side of the tractor on 4" blocks while trying to have the plow sit level.

Glad that Gordon and others came up with the underslung idea. Keeping the plow tucked in close does lessen the rudder effect. Mt plate is mounted at an angle that puts most of the force on the top edge of the QA plate. There's not a lot of stress on the locking pins (unless backdragging). Kinda like jamming your toes into your shoes.

Attachments

• IMG_4819S.JPG
    IMG_4819S.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
   / Plowing Mishap
There's one place I could use more slop. Our driveway comes in flat from the road, then has a fairly steep hill that transitions into a larger parking / turnaround area. It's difficult to get a spot scraped clean unless it is approached for a certain direction because the tractor and blade don't "swivel" enough to keep the blade flat on the paving. The paving has a slight twist in its plane. Picture having one side of the tractor on 4" blocks while trying to have the plow sit level.

Glad that Gordon and others came up with the underslung idea. Keeping the plow tucked in close does lessen the rudder effect. Mt plate is mounted at an angle that puts most of the force on the top edge of the QA plate. There's not a lot of stress on the locking pins (unless backdragging). Kinda like jamming your toes into your shoes.
On that setup would it work to just bore out the three holes for the pins connecting the mount and that would give more side to side movement? Would probably wear out the pins after a while but I’m sure there are ways to help with that

/ Plowing Mishap #44  
View attachment 849139View attachment 849140
I’ve had some issues with the hydraulics, I’ve had trouble with one piston working, I will be able to tilt it all the way to the left but then it won’t come back. Seems like maybe it was frozen because it would free up after a while but then I had the same issue when it was above freezing.

It looks like you have single acting hydraulics. You would have more power with double acting hydraulics. Although the pivot should compress the opposite side.

/ Plowing Mishap #45  
On that setup would it work to just bore out the three holes for the pins connecting the mount and that would give more side to side movement? Would probably wear out the pins after a while but I’m sure there are ways to help with that
Good idea! That should work. And since I've only used the top holes, I could experiment with the lower ones and not mess the original mounting up.

/ Plowing Mishap #46  
Thats exactly what I did on my last pickup.

The truckside mount only had 2 holes though....

I rebuilt the plow....meyers C8.5. All pivots were tight and no slop. Any subtle angle changes , due to terrain or whatever, didnt get a good clean scrape.

Some truck plows (I know western for sure) actually have side to side (tilt/articulation) built into the design. Old meyer design didnt.

So on the truckside mount....the two holes ~1.5" apart to pin the plow to the truck.....I just cut between them....and made it one tall ~2" slot. So either end of the plow could float up.

If comparing to a tractor......it would be like using a rear blade with a side link that could float (either hydraulic or some have a slotted hole).

Worked great....and would take ALONG time to wear out the 3/4" pins I used

/ Plowing Mishap
Good to know! Right now I just have a clevice attaching the plow to the mount but I’m thinking this summer I might modify it to give it some side to side play