Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #41  
Your list of expenses, almost seems like it should have ended with:

Owning a Steiner . . . Priceless.

I plasma cut apart an old given to me 430MAX Diesel. I couldn't help but be impressed with the build quality. No PLASTIC and not much formed/stamped sheit metal.

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions
So I checked the seat's switch, because it has to be pressed down for the PTO to work, and there was continuity.

Then I supplied 12volts to the PTO, and I can hear it click and the magnet/armature is working, so that is good. That leaves us with an electrical problem, maybe the rocker switch or the relay (which I haven't found yet) or both.

I got a lot of things greased, and working. All in all, a good day tater. :)

More later.

I plasma cut apart an old given to me 430MAX Diesel. I couldn't help but be impressed with the build quality. No PLASTIC and not much formed/stamped sheit metal.

They ARE built tough to last. I'm not afraid to take any of the major components apart to work on them. (I am very, very happy that so far, none of the major components seem to be bad.)

why did you cut it apart? What fact turned it to scrap metal?

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #45  
DSC03426.JPG

This poor machine just tried to push a bon fire when the oily hoses (and fuel line) going thorugh the articulation point caught fire. By the time the FD got there, this is all that remained. Gave the engine to a friend recently to try and recover components to repair a small NH skidsteer, but there didn't appear much useable in the engine.

I DID luck out, because I bought a (GREAT) Gas, Kubota 430 MAX at auction for the V-Plow only and didn't realize it was missing the front PTO assembly, so this donar machine saved the day.

View attachment 676635

This poor machine just tried to push a bon fire when the oily hoses (and fuel line) going thorugh the articulation point caught fire. By the time the FD got there, this is all that remained. Gave the engine to a friend recently to try and recover components to repair a small NH skidsteer, but there didn't appear much useable in the engine.

I DID luck out, because I bought a (GREAT) Gas, Kubota 430 MAX at auction for the V-Plow only and didn't realize it was missing the front PTO assembly, so this donar machine saved the day.

That's sad. Glad a few parts were salvageable.

I just found out the 230's drive shaft that connects between the Kubota diesel, and the hydraulic pump, cost $728.89 :shocked:

I hope mine is OK, I know that one of the bolts through the rubber coupling is missing. Better fix it before it gets out of hand.

They want $48 for a parking brake cable, pretty simple and only about a foot long???

I'm probably going to have to take off the big front wheels, to get the brakes freed up and working smoothly.

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #48  
No big deal. My friend got a brand spanking new 440 with dual wheels. Recovered his insurance money spent for many years I guess.

JD wanted something like $700.00 for a 6" splined shaft in my E-Gator Axle! I never experienced Steiner prices being outrageous actually.

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #49  
It is a good thing your electric clutch worked....... lol..... There are other switches that have to be right position to get it to work..... jim

The only thing I did yesterday was I put the PTO clutch in the lathe and sanded the pulley. It is very rusted. I should probably pull apart and sand down the internal rust. Also the bearings need replacing.

I have a bead blaster at work to use if necessary.

The pulley that is a double belt pulley was very rusted too. Got it cleaned up. It needs bearings too.