Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #21  
Diesel engine oil goes black pretty quick, Kyle. It's a good sign, as it would be a coffee with cream color if it had been contaminated with water. The water in the fuel tank doesn't sound like good news for the fuel pump, though. Guess you'll know on that one as soon as you hook up a battery and give the starter a try. At least now you're not working on a filthy machine.:thumbsup:

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions
IMG_20201107_093750121.jpg
Here is the fuel tank's filler neck. It also has a protrusion on the bottom. This is what makes it so hard to get out.

IMG_20201107_093805137.jpg

Here's how I prayed up the main sheet metal with a crowbar under the back angle iron support.

IMG_20201107_093810464.jpg
I needed every millimeter to get the tank out.
Finally. Got it cleaned, replaced pre fuel pump filter, emptied main fuel filter.

IMG_20201113_105902274_HDR.jpg
So under the dash, there was a five wire relay. I ended up replacing it because every single prong was totally rusted off.

I had to replace this female harness attachment because the old male prongs had rusted into it.

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #24  
Thanks for the update on the restoration!

Steiner sitrep:
I was really worried so much about the whole thing, because any one of about a dozen things could possibly cause me to part it out.

I had drained the old engine oil out, and re-filled with Delo and a new filter.

Checked the hydraulic fluid level, and it looked really clean. Does the Steiner official tranny oil have any dye or color in it? This was amber clear on the dip stick, and right up to the full mark. I see they recommend a brand from Texas Refinery Corp.

I still had the glow plugs out, because I wanted to try and turn it over for a minute to get oil into the all the right places before putting a strain on the engine. I was worried about the whole electrical system being in a totally bad state, after seeing the relay prongs totally rusted in half....

I put a decent 12v battery in it. Said some prayers, and turned the key to the first click and I could hear the fuel pump running, so I turned it to the next click and she started turning over like she's supposed to. The starter and solenoid are good. Check that off the list. I turned it over for maybe 20 seconds at a time like 3 times with a minute in between.....Turned the key to off and put a couple gallons of fresh diesel in it. Turned it on to the first click and it pumped fuel up to the top really quick, so I closed the bleeder after I made sure it didn't have water in it. Then I cranked the engine some more until I saw diesel "mist" shooting out of the glow plug holes on all 3 cylinders. Ok, I had fuel, now, let's see if it has enough compression to start.....I put the glow plugs back in (one of which I know is bad), and noticed the little blue glow plug light is working. Good. So, you turn on the key and wait for the blue glow plug light to go out to start cranking. I could tell by the sound that the starter was having to work harder now. After about 5-10 seconds, it still hadn't started. I turned the key off and back to the first click to let the glow plugs cycle again. Cranked on it again and first one, then 2, then all 3 cylinders fired up, and she's running smooth. I AM STOKED NOW!!! Tachometer works, but lens is fogged up. Let it run for a minute or so, but it started creeping backward on me so I turned it back off. I wanted to check some other things. I had to get the forward/reverse pedal freed up, it needs some lubrication on the linkage. I decided to take off some more sheet metal, and inspection plates to see what all is going on underneath. Got the foot pedal freed and fired it up again. WE HAVE FORWARD AND REVERSE! SO STOKED NOW, don't know if I can contain myself. OH yea, the power steering is working fine too.

The only thing not working yet, is the PTO. It is electric, and hopefully only has a wiring gremlin I hope. I might mess with it Sunday, after church.

So, there is a sticker in front of the seat that talks about the hydraulic accumulator. It says......that there is some sort of weight distribution system, and that is what the left spool lever is.

Oh, and the front attachment lift arm hydraulics are working fine too!

So, I'm going to try and tally up to keep track of what I've spent on it... mainly just for fun. I won't say how much I paid for it.

Don, believe it or not, the hydraulic hoses just had grime and debris on them, and none are leaking yet....knock on wood.

$100. Trip down to get it, gas and including meal and beer for my helper/friend at the coast while we watched the waves roll in.
$50. for harbor freight cheapie come along and some cheapie ratchet straps.
$27. for 2 gallons of Chevron Delo oil
$7 Fram oil filter
$5. Inline fuel filter
$17. For some rust oleum paints, and 1 can of primer I've already used.
$?? Friend gave me 5 pole relay, but I said I owe him lunch now, so not sure what that'll cost me. LOL ;)
$17. For a 5 wire relay harness.

Still have a list of needs. I will go by the junkyard Monday or Tuesday to see what kind of batteries they have. I want to order new flange head bolts and washers.

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #29  
Nice !

Well done ... :thumbsup: