Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions
Since it is a Kubota diesel, I did some research to find it would be the 28hp 1122cc 3-cyl model D1105, or some variant.

Those operation and workshop manuals depend on the variant and can all be found here: Kubota Engine User Manuals Download | ManualsLib

I wish it was the bigger engine, but alas, it is the D905 E model like Don posted. Click on his link for the picture. I believe the later models offered the bigger engine. I admit the 72" mower looks like a lot of mower for the size of engine, but with hydrostatic, you can slow down easy when you hit the thick stuff.

Not much to report on, because it gets dark before I get home, and I don't have room in my garage yet for a 1400 lb beast that won't move on it's own.

I contacted Messicks to see if they might have a service manual, or might would copy their service department's copy. NO GO.

I need to get the fuel tank out, to clean the gunk in it. It is under a major piece of sheet metal that goes under the seat, across the whole width. It is the piece that you can connect a ROPS to, if you had one. So it is substantial, and has a lot of bolts. Some are almost impossible to get to. I have all but the last 2 impossible bolts out. Oh, and 1 bolt/nut stripped on me. I will have to get the grinder out to cut the head off.

I will need to disconnect the main drive shaft coming off the motor to try and start it.

IMG_20201105_181305958.jpg

Does anyone know what this is? the long brown tube?
My unit has some sort of Parker hydraulic dampener/accumulator. I don't see it on the parts list.

Hard to read, google search comes up with nothing on p/n.

Steiner sitrep: I finally got the middle section sheet metal part off (that goes from one side to the other under the seat), just so that I could get the fuel tank out. I had to pry it up about 4" to get the fuel tank to clear. Got the tank some what cleaned, reinstalled. Didn't have new fuel line handy, so I put the old ones back on. Did I mention the tank had about a quart of water in it because a varmint had chewed a hole in the filler cap??? I changed out the filter before the fuel pump, and drained out the spin on fuel filter just before the engine. Each had water.

Sprayed some cleaner solution on it and pressure washed off much of the grime. Let it dry and then sprayed some rustoleum rusty metal primer where the fuel tank sits and underneath the battery.

A friend came over and helped me for an hour or more. We pulled the glow plugs, 2 out of 3 work. We will leave them out to turn over the motor with fresh oil, not putting a bind on anything until fresh oil is in the bearings.

Started draining the old oil, which was clean, but black and the level was good on the dipstick. The Steiner has a quick drain valve for draining oil, but there's nothing quick about it when the oil is cool. So we wait until I get more time.

Need: 1 glow plug, a hot battery, fill with fresh Delo oil, fill with diesel, a 4 wire relay and male plug for it......and so much more......say a few prayers and see what happens.

Still don't know what was the cause of the previous owners just parking it and letting it sit.

What do the two stickers say?

It is a Parker piston accumulator. Many are charged up to 150psi on the dry end of the piston. Still not sure of it's reason for being.

I found it!

https://www.messicks.com/st/3507

Item #37

It is T'eed into the left most hydraulic spool. The manual they sent me only has a 2 spool, mine has 3 handle levers. Middle one I believe is for the hydraulic accessories on the front available pair of outlets. Right is for front attachment Float/Lower/Lift. So, not sure what the left one does just yet? Could it be some sort of cushion for the lift cylinder??? It has a strange decal associated to it with a rainbow arrow pointing to the front end, and one pointing to the back???

Last edited:
Okay, I am now guessing that it is to help control the downforce or lack thereof of the front end lift system.

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #20  
You sure it isn't a hydraulic weight transfer system? ..... jim