Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #1  

Kyle_in_Tex

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4310,JD5420
Maybe I should call this thread....."This old Steiner"

I just bought an old Steiner 230 that had been sitting for 4 years, on a gov't site. The guy there said that no one there knew why it was parked. It is quite rusted, as it came from near the Texas coast.

I am trying to determine if it is worth repairing, or start selling parts off of it. I am leaning to repair it, if I can get the Kubota diesel running.

Does anyone have an owner's, service, or parts manual? I've left a message on the Steiner website contact page....and am awaiting reply. Steiner parts was Schiller Grounds care, but as of the end of October 2020, Doosan Bobcat is taking over, and as of yet, it doesn't show Steiner...Only Bobcat. Their support page is "Site Under Maintenance". This probably explains why Messick's parts site is offline???

I am totally ignorant of these machines, meaning I don't even know what I don't know.

Yes, I realize it uses a lot of hydraulics, and has a shaft that runs down the middle of it to an electric PTO clutch which drives a belt/pulley system.

The kubota has oil in it, and I can turn it over by hand (not locked up).

I will try to post some pictures as I get time to work on it.

steiner1.JPGsteiner2.JPG

Last edited:
   / Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #4  
Looking forward to your progress reports, Kyle. Be a shame to part that beast out, and I wish you luck with what you find out.

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #5  
I was contemplating getting one of these for the lady friend's place a while back as I have many compatible attachments for my 430MAX.

Being DIESEL would be the selling point of your machine to put some time and possibly money into it. If anything like the 420s and 430s, they are built like a brick sheit house!

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions
sitrep: I had left my information on the Steiner website and a nice guy emailed me back and attached the owners and parts manual .pdf files. He said there is not a service manual available on his end. I wonder if some of the old dealers might have them??? The email had the don't share these legalese, so if you need a manual, just fill out the contact info on the steinerturf.com website.

Industrial, it is built like a brick sheet house.

Spare time and spare funds will slow me down, so have patience. I hope this thread to be informative for the next guy.

So some parts are really expensive....Sundstrand pump, hydro tranny, steering pump, but most parts are not marked up crazy high (especially if they might be new old stock NOS).

Here's a link to Messicks parts: I don't know what will change as it phases over to Doosan ownership.

Steiner Models Parts Listings

TxDon will be glad to know that the mower deck will flip up to easily access the blades, but it looks like it will take some strength.

Found a cheap diesel compression tester kit at Harbor Freight. It comes with multiple adapters, but not sure if there is one for the Kubota D905. .....I need to take back the crappy come-along I bought there last week.

Diesel Engine Compression Tester 20 Pc.

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #7  
Since it is a Kubota diesel, I did some research to find it would be the 28hp 1122cc 3-cyl model D1105, or some variant.

Those operation and workshop manuals depend on the variant and can all be found here: Kubota Engine User Manuals Download | ManualsLib

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #8  
That has more HP than what is used in their 420 and 430 (D737) which could be underpowered in certain mowing applications. The larger engine is far superior and smother running. I didn't know they used the better engine in the 230.

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #10  
Are you man enough to flip it up? I had a 72" Steiner SD mower, and there was little chance I could flip it up without help.