Houston, we have lift off!!!

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #33  
:dance1:
outstanding and almost no smoke!
this will motivate you to keep going

I think I can, I think I can...

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions
Thank you Drew.

I have seen pictures of new ones, and that shiny red and black paint make them look better. Maybe time for a rattle can overhaul later. For now, I need to stop the rust in some areas.

More on the weight transfer system. It seems that all the system does, is it gives the operator a means to finely adjust the front lift system while in float. As it gently starts to pick up the front implement (not off the ground), it transfers weight to the drive wheels. I know the 72" deck is pretty heavy, so I hope to see how it manages it....if I can get the pto clutch working.

LOL, my daughter keeps calling it "ugly", so I have nicknamed it "The Beast". Hope I can get it going before the last rose petal falls....

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #35  
Thank you Drew.

I have seen pictures of new ones, and that shiny red and black paint make them look better. Maybe time for a rattle can overhaul later. For now, I need to stop the rust in some areas.

More on the weight transfer system. It seems that all the system does, is it gives the operator a means to finely adjust the front lift system while in float. As it gently starts to pick up the front implement (not off the ground), it transfers weight to the drive wheels. I know the 72" deck is pretty heavy, so I hope to see how it manages it....if I can get the pto clutch working.

LOL, my daughter keeps calling it "ugly", so I have nicknamed it "The Beast". Hope I can get it going before the last rose petal falls....

My JD F735 has a similar system for the amount of load that is applied to mower gauge wheels. I keep it in middle of adjustment. If is set it to light mower bounces over rough spots. If set to heavy it scalps any high spot.

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #36  
I know the electric PTO clutch is pricy, I hope it works for you.... Your weight transfer system is it a spring or a hydraulic set up?..... jim

I know the electric PTO clutch is pricy, I hope it works for you.... Your weight transfer system is it a spring or a hydraulic set up?..... jim

all it does is gently lift up the front attachment, which puts more weight on the big front drive tires.

/ Old to Me, Steiner 230 questions #38  
I know what it does but I was wanting to know what system it used with the weight transfer. Most 4 wheel drive ones used vertical springs in front of the hood, ...... jim

I know what it does but I was wanting to know what system it used with the weight transfer. Most 4 wheel drive ones used vertical springs in front of the hood, ...... jim

I don't know exactly how it works, but I believe the accumulator is attached with a proportioning valve that can be finely adjusted. You put the front implement in "float" mode, then hydraulically you adjust the proportioning valve. The accumulator helps take up the ebb and flow of the attachment riding over uneven ground. This is my best guess at the moment.

The electric PTO was hard to get to, due to rusted bolts that are hard to get at. It was not turning on when I had it running. I had to use my pneumatic air chisel hammer to get the PTO off.

You have to remove the front black plate with the slots, and then you have to remove another plate that runs horizontally in front of the PTO.

IMG_20201115_161036886.jpg

IMG_20201115_165003134.jpg

I'm glad these things are built with serviceable, commercial grade components...because getting at them is a pain in the neck. You would think after being in production this long, they would have streamlined ease of service. The fact that there are no service manuals, nor many videos or how to's doesn't help.