Off season projects

/ Off season projects #41  
Not much progress but ready to start hanging parts back on it instead of continually taking stuff off.
3CC07AD0-B5EC-4316-95C7-D4EBDA015A46.jpeg

0D91A0AB-F637-4A80-A2A5-A4E4AFEAB495.jpeg

8ECDB51B-BF78-4292-B1B5-E0B09E50C837.jpeg

/ Off season projects
Well we had a little ”ooops” today. I caught my chain shielding bracket on a very immovable object and tore the metal bracket clean off the bush hog frame-mounts included.
Doing a quick weld. The shield was destroyed beyond repair. Pulled all the chains and ordered new chain shield.

1647996793827.jpeg

/ Off season projects #43  
Anyone doing any rebuilds or major repairs?
Fertilizing? Field edge tree line clearing?
Im well underway on oil changes.

View attachment 723987
View attachment 723990

Stocked up on twine. Got this at the end of season pricing, before it goes to like $50/roll.

View attachment 723989

And of course, fertilizing

View attachment 723991
Good to see you have baler twine. I've talk to the major twine producers & they will not have enough to satisfy the market demand. Please buy early what you need. Baler belts sometime in MAY there will be Baler belt shortages even into September/October. Please buy early.

/ Off season projects #44  
Well, all the rollers are hung minus one which is waiting on bearings that should be here Tuesday. Gotta tear down the pickup and probably put a new bearing or two in there. After that belts, gearbox flush, two hydraulic hoses and I should be done. Think the majority of the work/time is done it’s mostly just money now.

Also received a nice delivery of American made twine I’m pretty excited to try this year.
D3077A64-03BA-4771-82EF-D0C12C49DD06.jpeg

/ Off season projects
Well, all the rollers are hung minus one which is waiting on bearings that should be here Tuesday. Gotta tear down the pickup and probably put a new bearing or two in there. After that belts, gearbox flush, two hydraulic hoses and I should be done. Think the majority of the work/time is done it’s mostly just money now.

Also received a nice delivery of American made twine I’m pretty excited to try this year.
View attachment 742110
I’m using the same Bridon twine

/ Off season projects #46  
Is twine cheaper then net? What is the advantage of twine over net?

/ Off season projects #47  
Is twine cheaper then net? What is the advantage of twine over net?
Huge disadvantage to twine over net for round balers other than a twine wrap baler is gonna be super cheap. Net holds the hay better, more weather resistant, less chance of strangling an animal, etc. Additionally the net wrap baler will save a lot of time in the field, twine wrapping takes several times as long as a net wrap because instead of rolling the bale ~2-2.5 times to wrap it with net you gotta spin it 10-15 times for twine.

/ Off season projects
Net much better, especially when it comes to storage.

/ Off season projects #50  
Last two roller bearings got in, hung all the scrapers, cleaned the remaining adjusters so officially all the guts are back in the baler.

Hit the gearbox finally, was pleasantly surprised at how clean the oil was I didn’t see any water which shocked me as I expected quite a bit of condensation buildup over however many years it’s been. Plugs also looked fine with the top one having very light surface rust but cleaned up well. There was some rust debris in the oil so probably change it again after first cut. Gears appeared to be new, could see the machining on them but couldn’t see any indication that the box had been apart by the bolts holding it together so either a fairly new box or someone is really good with a wrench. Looking at the wear on other parts of the baler I’m betting a newish box.
143ADED4-707C-4929-A11F-99208AAA2188.jpeg
F89F6E55-A8CC-44B7-9A18-E156626198A5.jpeg

Next phase…
68EBDAEF-30B5-4232-9A25-056E73156CA1.jpeg

When I got to this many bent and broken parts I decided it was time to call it a day and get an adult beverage.
B7B9A108-5FE2-4641-93F6-01F0F6F68A27.jpeg

Next episode will be seeing how many bearings are bad on this sucker and pull the rest of the broken times.
80430A8A-FB6C-4AE4-8D3E-08D1B94F2F8D.jpeg

Anyone use the poly pickup bands? I seem to recall that you’re supposed to replace all of them if you convert to them? Is that true/necessary?