New Tacoma trailer capacity

/ New Tacoma trailer capacity #1  

Wolfy

Veteran Member
Tractor
a fleet of them
My F.I.L. bought a new Toyota Tacoma pickup. He loves it. At a birthday party we were discussing the truck. I questioned it's towing capacity, and, since he never tows anything, he did not know. But now I am curious. Any Tacoma owner's tow? Also wondering on the mpg. His V-6 gets 18-20mpg combined driving. I do not know if there were several engines available, or just the V-6.

/ New Tacoma trailer capacity #2  
The trucks specs should include towing maximums for both tongue and pulling...

/ New Tacoma trailer capacity #3  
I seem to remember it's around 5000-6000# tow capacity with about 500-600# on the tongue, but I'd suggest looking up the specs on Toyota's website for solid numbers. They are nice trucks, but I'd have a hard time choosing a small pickup that only gets 18-20mpg when full size V8 pickups are available that do as good or better. After 4000 miles, my GMC Sierra crew cab is averaging a touch over 19mpg.

For whatever reason, even Toyota's full size Tundra pickups get mediocre gas mileage. A comparable Tundra to my Sierra (albeit with shorter bed on Tundra) is rated a good 4-6mpg less on paper. Seems uncharacteristic of Toyota to me (I have owned several of their cars over the years, and they were always tops with mpg).

/ New Tacoma trailer capacity
Cant be mad at 19mpg in a full size. I heard the Tundras are powerhouses but heavy drinkers.

/ New Tacoma trailer capacity #5  
From the 2014 Toyota Tacoma Brochure V6

Tongue - 650
Tow - 6500

/ New Tacoma trailer capacity #6  
Yup, my Tundra 5.7L V8 averages 16mpg non towing but is crazy powerful. Tows my 8,000lb boat like its not there but towing mileage really suffers with the hills around here, about 8mpg. Fortunately only use the boat about a half dozen times a year. Had a diesel (non-turbo) F250 before the Tundra and it struggled on the hills with the boat and only averaged 12mpg non towing.

/ New Tacoma trailer capacity
Thanks for all the responses. Eric, we used to have a 7.3NA mason dump in our family business. I agree with everything you said. It got 12 running empty. Pushing heavy snow would get it down to 8mpg. I liked it though, reliable and ran like a bear. The 2 worst things... A-the hex shape brake pins in the front end that constantly fell off and B- the auto transmission could barely hold up to 185hp. Is there a 6cyl Tundra?

/ New Tacoma trailer capacity #8  
Thanks for all the responses. Eric, we used to have a 7.3NA mason dump in our family business. I agree with everything you said. It got 12 running empty. Pushing heavy snow would get it down to 8mpg. I liked it though, reliable and ran like a bear. The 2 worst things... A-the hex shape brake pins in the front end that constantly fell off and B- the auto transmission could barely hold up to 185hp. Is there a 6cyl Tundra?

When I bought my Tundra in 07 I think there was a V6 and a smaller V8 option, not sure about now. I needed the big V8 to get the 10,000lb towing capacity.

/ New Tacoma trailer capacity #9  
I think Toyota stopped making the Tundra with a V-6. They said that their customers want a V-8 with lots of power so that's what they make. It also seams like Toyota values reliability over fuel mileage.

/ New Tacoma trailer capacity #10  
I think Toyota stopped making the Tundra with a V-6. They said that their customers want a V-8 with lots of power so that's what they make. It also seams like Toyota values reliability over fuel mileage.
I agree, its certainly been reliable over the last 7 years. Haven't spent a penny on repairs and the few minor issues it had when it was new were covered under the warranty. The old Ford was a constant money pit since I purchased it used at 3 years old.