New BBQ pit in the making

/ New BBQ pit in the making
You piqued my interest with this project. You call the project a BBQ pit and an accessory smoker. I've been cooking with every emaginable combo of barrels,pipe,sheet metal and masonary for years and would like to build something now. What range of tempatures will you run in the cook chamber? What tempature range for the smoking box?

Probably as low as 150 and at the most 400 or so in the cook chamber.
Smoker be lucky to ever see 300 and most likely run 100 - 200.
The cook chamber will probably have to run 100 above what the smoker needs to be when using. Just a guess.

How much will it weigh?

Just the cook chamber alone is a minimum of 935 lbs. By time I add fire box and vertical smoker on the ends with shelves and racks it will be over a ton. Im thinking at the lightest 2,200 lbs. This is only the firebox, cook chamber, vertical smoker with contents and no the trailer or anything else on it.

Just because the pallets are leaning towards a field does not mean they are supernatural. Or does it? :D

Looking forward to seeing pictures of some good BBQ ribs. !!!!

:thumbsup:

Again I probably wont really get going till late January or so. I have 800 feet of fence line to clear and install before any fun.

I will try to get some pictures of the trailer and maybe sketch out my ideas.

/ New BBQ pit in the making #17  
Subscribed. I did notice the ladder looking like it was teaching the pallets the inverted V formation.

/ New BBQ pit in the making #18  
Pit? Trailer?

Bruce

For sure on a trailer. To heavy of a pit not to be on a axle.

Must be regional differences. All the BBQ pits I knew were holes in the ground. Fill it with wood, burn to coals, then either (A) put in wrapped meat, cover with dirt, cook, or (B) put a grill over the pit and meat on grill. If it was all above ground it was just a BBQ.

Grilling-pit-bbq-2.jpg GABBQ.png smoked-meat-468x607.jpg

All the photos I found were B&W. I must be old.

Bruce

Must be regional differences. All the BBQ pits I knew were holes in the ground. Fill it with wood, burn to coals, then either (A) put in wrapped meat, cover with dirt, cook, or (B) put a grill over the pit and meat on grill. If it was all above ground it was just a BBQ.

View attachment 533384 View attachment 533385 View attachment 533386

All the photos I found were B&W. I must be old.

Bruce

We do occasional cook in the ground, but now days there is a difference between, grilling, bbq, and smoking.