never liked the ROPS now i have a reason

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #1  

DaBear3428

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5145
doing a little grading with the box blade over a path i have graded multiple times before without issue and then a tree jumps out and grabs the rops broke off and landed on me in the tractor. I was lucky, it hit me in the back and not the head and only took out the LH turn signal.
It could have been much worse.

Attachments

• IMG_6274.jpeg
    IMG_6274.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 153
  • IMG_6272.jpeg
    IMG_6272.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_6271.jpeg
    IMG_6271.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_6270.jpeg
    IMG_6270.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 158
   / never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #4  
We keep the ROPS down 100% of the time on our eXmark mowers because if a tree limb grabs the ROPS it'll flip you over in a split second. Extremely dangerous.

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #5  
We keep the ROPS down 100% of the time on our eXmark mowers because if a tree limb grabs the ROPS it'll flip you over in a split second. Extremely dangerous.

I’ve almost done that a few times with the same tree at my own house…….wakes you up pretty darn quick

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #6  
I'm not sure I've caught that big of a branch, but there are times I'll throw a branch around me, or more often I'm wincing when the bucket catches a branch and I know my face is next in line.

There was another discussion about FOPS (Falling Object Protection System) that might be worth looking into.

Perhaps that is the reason that CAT and Dozer operator protection systems look so much more substantial.

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #7  
I've got an idea! Put a spring release on the ROPS. There. Problem solved.

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #8  
I've got an idea! Put a spring release on the ROPS. There. Problem solved.

Interesting concept. The ROPS may still generally function if allowed to spring back a little. One would likely want to also add either a ratchet or a shock absorber to prevent the ROPS from bouncing back in place too hard, with potentially dangerous results.

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #9  
Interesting concept. The ROPS may still generally function if allowed to spring back a little. One would likely want to also add either a ratchet or a shock absorber to prevent the ROPS from bouncing back in place too hard, with potentially dangerous results.
I was going to mention that you should still use the seat belt since the ROPS was up but to just clip the belt behind you.

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason
I was going to mention that you should still use the seat belt since the ROPS was up but to just clip the belt behind you.
sorry I do not follow why do i need to connect the seatbelt if i'm not using it?