Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #42  
Stupid things with fuel....

I used to put my fuel cap on the rear fender when filling. Forgot to put it back on. Started the tractor and backed out of the shed. Did not notice it missing until I smelled diesel and looked to see is plashing out and all. Back to the shed to find that I'd run over the cap and crushed it into about 1000 tiny little pieces.

Now I put the cap on the seat while I'm filling the tank.
anytime i can, I add a piece of string to the cap and tie off to something with enough slack to avoid same issue you had. I do exactly the same thing with my dip sticks as I laid the dip stick on the tire to check something while checking the oil level and wouldn't you, just plumbed forgot where I left it and drove off. Luckily , remembered it quick and did not drive over the dipstick. Now , I am not worried about losing them.

DSC06351.JPG

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #43  
If this becomes a "stupid mistake" thread, I can fill a dozen pages myself. :)

OP- glad you are up and running. I'd make sure to run a few healthy doses of Power Service or other fuel additive just to handle and residual moisture.

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago
I hope that you also screwed the cap back on. 🙃🤪😏😈

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Oh believe it, it's not something I intend to repeat! But you know what they say experience is, right? It's the ability to recognize a mistake when you make it a second (third, fourth) time lol.

Don't feel bad, I was halfway through a 5-gallon fuel can when I realized it was red. :rolleyes:

You mean the red container for gasoline and not the red diesel, right? I guess a draining was required there too lol

It sounds like he's got it handled. Does that mean we can start talking about our own stupid moves now? :D

I had the forks on and was loading lumber onto them from my pickup. All of a sudden the tractor started to tip... luckily it stopped when the right fork came up against my tailgate. I took a little weight off, climbed onto the uphill running board and was able to get it back onto 4 tires. After taking about 1/4 of the weight off I was back at a safe level.

Dumb move in a lot of ways, if it had gone over both of my pickups would have been trapped behind it.

My most stupid mistake (but not expensive) is when I brought my trailer/ladder with my ATV to install a motion activated solar light up a light post at the gate. I've put the ladder in the trailer to get more height. As I was installing the light, I notice I have the wrong screwdriver, so I undid the trailer from the ATV, drove back to the cottage to get the correct screw driver, got back on the ladder but, having not reattached the trailer, as I was screwing the second screw (of four), the trailer started to roll away. I fell down with the ladder! No damage to myself except splinters in my hands as I tried to hold to the post, so I brushed the dust off, reattached the trailer and went back up. Installed the third screw. As I was about to install to fourth screw, I felt myself sliding again!!! WTF??? This time, it was the ladder that was slipping in the trailer! This time however, I banged up my leg good (but not broken). See what I mean by experience up above lol. The light is still there being held by only three screws lol.

Most expensive one is when I forgot to tighten the vent screw on my boat engine foot. Only mid summer did I figure it out when I couldn't move the transmission out of park. Had to have the bearings/shims in the foot changed. Cost me $1200. $500 in bearings/shims and $700 in labor.

If this becomes a "stupid mistake" thread, I can fill a dozen pages myself. :)

OP- glad you are up and running. I'd make sure to run a few healthy doses of Power Service or other fuel additive just to handle and residual moisture.

Yeah, I had some that I added to the tank, thanks.

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #45  
So, two weeks ago, before leaving the cottage, I filled the tractor with diesel and when I got back the cottage earlier tonight, I noticed that.... I LEFT THE 12" FUNNEL IN THE FUEL FILLER NECK!!! ARGH!!! WHAT A STUPID MISTAKE! It rained/snowed multiple times in those two weeks. Now for sure there is water in the tank :mad: And to think I filled it to prevent humidity to build up lol. It's a Kioti LK30. What do you recommend I do to fix it? Water is heavier so it has to be at the bottom of the tank, right? I'm thinking of closing the fuel valve, opening the fuel filter bottle and drain the water. Once I hit diesel, can I close it back or am I better of draining the whole tank? What about the fuel filter. How can I tell if it's compromised too? I switched the valve off. I notice there is a On Off ATR setting on the valve. What does ATR stands for?

View attachment 788987

Thanks.
I’m having a good laugh, but not at your expense. As I read your post it was like I was reading something I could have written a few weeks ago. I filled my tank, left the cap off and the BIG RED FUNNEL in the tank. 3 weeks later I’m back at the camp. I start the tractor, let it warmup and head off to the plough the road. coming back I see something on the road. As I get closer I come to the realization it’s my fuel cap. What the ! I get out grab the cap and go to put it back on. That’s when I see the BIG RED FUNNEL full of slush still in the fill hole. Many hour of fiddling later things appear ok.

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #46  
I guess it’s important to leave the funnel in, that way you get the most possible amount of snow and rain in the fuel tank. I’m not laughing at you, just with you. I’ve done much worse, believe me.