Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #1  

SylvainG

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti LK30
So, two weeks ago, before leaving the cottage, I filled the tractor with diesel and when I got back the cottage earlier tonight, I noticed that.... I LEFT THE 12" FUNNEL IN THE FUEL FILLER NECK!!! ARGH!!! WHAT A STUPID MISTAKE! It rained/snowed multiple times in those two weeks. Now for sure there is water in the tank :mad: And to think I filled it to prevent humidity to build up lol. It's a Kioti LK30. What do you recommend I do to fix it? Water is heavier so it has to be at the bottom of the tank, right? I'm thinking of closing the fuel valve, opening the fuel filter bottle and drain the water. Once I hit diesel, can I close it back or am I better of draining the whole tank? What about the fuel filter. How can I tell if it's compromised too? I switched the valve off. I notice there is a On Off ATR setting on the valve. What does ATR stands for?

1679099812968.png

Thanks.

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #2  
If it was mine I would drain the tank by pulling the line off the water separator, flush it as well as I could then add fresh fuel treated with PowerSaver or some other agent. It will be a pain, but nowhere near as bad as having problems when you're in the middle of a project.

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #3  
We all have or doh moments. If it were mine I wouldn’t feel comfortable until I completely drained the tank and lines.

Mike

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago
Thanks. I don't think this tractor has a water separator hence why I mentioned the fuel filter. Will that work the same? I Google "PowerSaver Diesel" but came empty. I'm assuming it's an additive to prevent water damage?

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #5  
Noting to beat yourself over, we all have a thing or two out of being in rush or being occupied in our life issues. What I would not do is crank the engine. Most likely the water has not gotten in to you filter/water separator. I would take the rubber hose from the tank fuel pet cock off with the fuel valve closed. Get a 5 gallon bucket and start emptying the tank content while watching for water droplet. I would empty the entire tank. This is an opportunity to clean the tank floor of collected muck. I made a contraption that works like Medical suction used in surgeries or your dentist office to suck up fluid. I used a shop vac but did not want to make my shop vac dirty. you can simply rig it up using a short piece of garden hose. Pic below is self explanatory. Once the tank is clean , i reverse my shop vac and let it blow rather suck, put the shop vac hose in theh tank and let it run to air out the tank to dry any moisture. You might remove the cup in the filter bowl but if you do so then you will have to bleed all the air to your injector that is a pain you know where. It is just a nuisance that you need to deal with.

JC,
DSC01827.JPG

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #7  
Thanks. I don't think this tractor has a water separator hence why I mentioned the fuel filter. Will that work the same? I Google "PowerSaver Diesel" but came empty. I'm assuming it's an additive to prevent water damage?
What I called a water separator is actually a filter on your machine... I hadn't looked at the picture very closely.
Noting to beat yourself over, we all have a thing or two out of being in rush or being occupied in our life issues.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe after the OP gets back up and running we can share a few of the dumb moves we've made. I have a pretty good list! :eek:

Noting to beat yourself over, we all have a thing or two out of being in rush or being occupied in our life issues. What I would not do is crank the engine. Most likely the water has not gotten in to you filter/water separator. I would take the rubber hose from the tank fuel pet cock off with the fuel valve closed. Get a 5 gallon bucket and start emptying the tank content while watching for water droplet. I would empty the entire tank. This is an opportunity to clean the tank floor of collected muck. I made a contraption that works like Medical suction used in surgeries or your dentist office to suck up fluid. I used a shop vac but did not want to make my shop vac dirty. you can simply rig it up using a short piece of garden hose. Pic below is self explanatory. Once the tank is clean , i reverse my shop vac and let it blow rather suck, put the shop vac hose in theh tank and let it run to air out the tank to dry any moisture. You might remove the cup in the filter bowl but if you do so then you will have to bleed all the air to your injector that is a pain you know where. It is just a nuisance that you need to deal with.

JC,
View attachment 789007
Thanks. That's a good idea. Emptying the tank it is then.

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #9  
What I called a water separator is actually a filter on your machine... I hadn't looked at the picture very closely.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe after the OP gets back up and running we can share a few of the dumb moves we've made. I have a pretty good list! :eek:
If I got a dime for every dumb move I made, then I'd be a millionaire and would not be here talking to you gents, he he.😁

These are the instructions to bleed the air from the fuel. If it really is that easy, would the easiest method to drain is remove the filter bowl, open the fuel cock and let the fuel drain, the do this?

8.10.1 BLEEDING FUEL SYSTEM
A. AIR MUST BE REMOVED:​
1. When the fuel filter or lines are removed.​
2. When tank is completely empty.​
3. After the tractor has not been used for a long period of time.​
B. BLEEDING PROCEDURE IS AS FOLLOWS:​
1. Fill the fuel tank with fuel, and rotate the fuel cock to the air position.​
2. Start the engine and run for about 25 seconds, and then stop the engine.​
3. Rotate the fuel cock to open position.​