Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #31  
Success at last, way to go.(y)

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago
Sounds like you got it figured out, good for you.

I've posted this before but to clean my tank, I pulled the bung out of the bottom.....used a (high) pressure sprayer to spray it out, letting the crud drain out the bung.

Took a garden sprayer, filled it with some diesel and used it to "spray" / rinse the inside out, put bung back and never looked back.

I agree with the comments to, "what to do with the residual fuel left in the Mr. Funnel??"

I just put mine back into the fuel container.
Seeing how easy it was to drain the tank, I might do that next summer. At 2°C, I kept it to the minimum lol.

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #33  
In the land of vacation boat country where water in our fuel is our biggest boat problem, I have four clearish five-gallon plastic cans to drain contaminated fuel into, let the water separate, and then to refill boat tanks without the water.

I use a simple 12v mitsubishi electric fuel pump wired to a household wall switch attached to a pair of alligator clip 12v battery leads all mounted to a wood block with 12' of fuel line on both ends of the fuel pump. My defueling pump is the most lent out tool I have.

Thankfully, on my Hough Payloader, there are two fuel drain plugs located on either side of the machine at the lowest part of the 80-gallon fuel tank that can simply be used to drain water out until nothing but diesel is flowing.

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #34  
One thing I learned from this post is that diesel fumes are not ignited by the sparks in a vacuum cleaner's brushes. This isn't surprising, but for me at least it also wouldn't have been surprising if they were ignited.

Whoa, wait, it would have been very surprising, if I'd been anywhere near the process.

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #35  
Gas is a lot more combustible liquid than diesel. Gas can flash with spark but diesel is not unless the liquid temp is close to their flash point.The flash point of gas is about -50 F and diesel is about 150 F. Spark starts the combustion in a gas engine but in diesel heat of compression ignites it. That is the reason diesel engine have always a higher compression ratio.

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #36  
I finished by checking the filter. There was no water in it. I emptied the bowl, cleaned it, put fresh diesel, screwed it back. Followed the bleeding instructions. Tractor is now ready for the next snow storm or spring cleaning :)
I hope that you also screwed the cap back on. 🙃🤪😏😈

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #37  
Don't feel bad, I was halfway through a 5-gallon fuel can when I realized it was red. :rolleyes:

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #38  
Don't feel bad, I was halfway through a 5-gallon fuel can when I realized it was red. :rolleyes:
It sounds like he's got it handled. Does that mean we can start talking about our own stupid moves now? :D

I had the forks on and was loading lumber onto them from my pickup. All of a sudden the tractor started to tip... luckily it stopped when the right fork came up against my tailgate. I took a little weight off, climbed onto the uphill running board and was able to get it back onto 4 tires. After taking about 1/4 of the weight off I was back at a safe level.

Dumb move in a lot of ways, if it had gone over both of my pickups would have been trapped behind it.

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #39  
Stupid things with fuel....

I used to put my fuel cap on the rear fender when filling. Forgot to put it back on. Started the tractor and backed out of the shed. Did not notice it missing until I smelled diesel and looked to see is plashing out and all. Back to the shed to find that I'd run over the cap and crushed it into about 1000 tiny little pieces.

Now I put the cap on the seat while I'm filling the tank.

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #40  
I recently disconnected my log splitter from my tractor but forgot about the pump disconnect (pto driven) luckily I was looking at the splitter as I started to pull away. That could have cost me a couple of hydraulic lines.

Mike