Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #11  
Thanks. That's a good idea. Emptying the tank it is then.
You can use the same suction contraption, lower the garden hose to the bottom of 5 gall bucket and let it suck up about a gallon that will have water in it and then you can reuse the rest of the diesel @ about $5 a gallon. By the way hold on to the dirty diesel as you can always use it later on if you need to start a burn pile.

JC,

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #12  
These are the instructions to bleed the air from the fuel. If it really is that easy, would the easiest method to drain is remove the filter bowl, open the fuel cock and let the fuel drain, the do this?

8.10.1 BLEEDING FUEL SYSTEM
A. AIR MUST BE REMOVED:​
1. When the fuel filter or lines are removed.​
2. When tank is completely empty.​
3. After the tractor has not been used for a long period of time.​
B. BLEEDING PROCEDURE IS AS FOLLOWS:​
1. Fill the fuel tank with fuel, and rotate the fuel cock to the air position.​
2. Start the engine and run for about 25 seconds, and then stop the engine.​
3. Rotate the fuel cock to open position.​
That's what I would do, as it's the best way to get all of the old fuel from the tank. You might want to siphon as much as you can from the top if you don't feel like waiting for the full tank to run through the lines. I would also invest in a new fuel filter. As long as you don't crank the engine over before refilling, priming it should be easy. Also fill the filter before putting it back together.
It might be more than you need to do but as I mentioned before, I would rather do it now than in May when I'm trying to get the garden rototilled.

And don't ask me how I know that!!! :D

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago
Thanks. Only issue is to get a filter this quickly.

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #14  
I would just empty the tank as all the others have mentioned, into a clean container & then run some clean diesel though as well (still collecting it). After that I would run it through a "Mr Funnel", treat it & reuse all of it... I've done this on much larger equipment without any issues...

I have multiple Mr. Funnel Fuel Filter Funnels for both gas & diesel, rarely fill a piece of equipment without one... Save me more than a few headaches...

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #15  
Another suggestion for general purposes. I keep a spare fuel filter on hand along with a few other miscellaneous parts.

I would just empty the tank as all the others have mentioned, into a clean container & then run some clean diesel though as well (still collecting it). After that I would run it through a "Mr Funnel", treat it & reuse all of it... I've done this on much larger equipment without any issues...

I have multiple Mr. Funnel Fuel Filter Funnels for both gas & diesel, rarely fill a piece of equipment without one... Save me more than a few headaches...
I do have such a funnel already

Edit: I don't use it much because I find I lose too much diesel trapped in the bottom of the funnel. What do you do with what's trap in the funnel?

Last edited:
Another suggestion for general purposes. I keep a spare fuel filter on hand along with a few other miscellaneous parts.
I checked and found a NAPA store 25 km away that seems to have in stock the filter. I'll call tomorrow and hopefully I'll be lucky. Good idea to get two instead of one. Might as well get an extra oil filter.

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #18  
Thanks. That's a good idea. Emptying the tank it is then.
Yes, you have to empty the tank completely. The water will go to the bottom, but who knows how high?
The problem is that tanks don't usually have the fuel feed at the bottom. Often the bottom is irregular and the fuel tap is up half an inch or so to allow for crud to settle I guess. Anyway, the only way to know yo got the water out is to empty the tank completely.

Just as an aside, sometimes you can shine a powerful flashlight into the tank at night and if you see past the beam it will illuminate the water different color from the fuel. This works even better shining from the side if your tank is not completely opaque on the sides - mine has a seam that allows light to shine in.

rScotty

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #19  
I checked and found a NAPA store 25 km away that seems to have in stock the filter. I'll call tomorrow and hopefully I'll be lucky. Good idea to get two instead of one. Might as well get an extra oil filter.
I also keep a spare filter cup on hand. That clear plastic gets brittle over time and can break if a stick comes up and hits it... usually at the most inopportune time.

Again, don't ask me how I know that. :D

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #20  
First, I would remove the filter and then disconnect the hose from the injection pump. Drain the fuel completely. Then fill with fresh fuel and flush the lines and filter housing. Reinstall the filter and reconnect hose to pump. Bleed system and start.