Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago
Yes, you have to empty the tank completely. The water will go to the bottom, but who knows how high?
The problem is that tanks don't usually have the fuel feed at the bottom. Often the bottom is irregular and the fuel tap is up half an inch or so to allow for crud to settle I guess. Anyway, the only way to know yo got the water out is to empty the tank completely.

Just as an aside, sometimes you can shine a powerful flashlight into the tank at night and if you see past the beam it will illuminate the water different color from the fuel. This works even better shining from the side if your tank is not completely opaque on the sides - mine has a seam that allows light to shine in.

rScotty

Thanks. My tank is made of metal and pretty opaque. It's raining right now (it rained all day!) so I'll let the tank alone lol

I also keep a spare filter cup on hand. That clear plastic gets brittle over time and can break if a stick comes up and hits it... usually at the most inopportune time.

Again, don't ask me how I know that. :D

Good idea. Might be harder to find though, which makes it a good idea to have one on hand.

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #22  
Edit: I don't use it much because I find I lose too much diesel trapped in the bottom of the funnel. What do you do with what's trap in the funnel?

I just pour that back into my cans to be filtered the next time around...

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #23  
If you remove the filter from the cup prior to draining chances are, you can reuse it. Just DO NOT try to start it.

Any issue if I drain when temperature is a few degrees below freezing?

Would water be simply ice then? The diesel has anti-gel in it.

Last edited:
   / Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #25  
Any issue if I drain when temperature is a few degrees below freezing?

Would water be simply ice then? The diesel has anti-gel in it.
Problem is separation of ice particles and fuel. The simplest thing is to dump the entire tank in a suitable container and use is as fire starter when you need. Starting a diesel with water in the fuel and in cold is just too frustrating and there is chance you would damage retaining nuts on injector trying to bleed the air out. Cutting your loss to lost fuel is your easiest option. Like they say, " no good deed ever goes unpunished", you don't want to mess up your injectors and specially fuel pump.

JC,

Ps. By the way water in filter does not make it dirty. if the filter is clean then i just air dry it under the sun. it will be as good as you found it. Spray some compressed air on it while using a tooth brush to clean the pleats.

But I won't be able to dump the water if it has iced over, until temperature warms up, right?

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #28  
But I won't be able to dump the water if it has iced over, until temperature warms up, right?
Ice will float on water or diesel. Best is for mixture to go above freezing point and you just siphon off the fuel just shy of few inches above bottom of your container. let's not over think it too much. Just dump it in to a container for now and get your rig up and running. Again, you will be able to re-purpose all of the contaminated diesel.

JC,

Ok, I added this small heater to the side of the tank and I've let it run for about 5 hours. That did the trick :) Diesel flowing was warm to the touch so I guess 5 hours was an overkill lol.

1679169006195.png

This is how I drained the diesel from the tank. At first, it was just water, then diesel started flowing. I emptied the whole tank, then added about a quart of fresh diesel that I also drained to make sure all water was gone.

1679169169228.png

I finished by checking the filter. There was no water in it. I emptied the bowl, cleaned it, put fresh diesel, screwed it back. Followed the bleeding instructions. Tractor is now ready for the next snow storm or spring cleaning :)

Thanks all for you help.

Oh yeah, using my Mr Funnel, I separated the water from the diesel. There was about 200-300 ml worth of water the tank. I'll let it settle down for a week and drain again one more time.

/ Need help fixing a stupid mistake I made two weeks ago #30  
Sounds like you got it figured out, good for you.

I've posted this before but to clean my tank, I pulled the bung out of the bottom.....used a (high) pressure sprayer to spray it out, letting the crud drain out the bung.

Took a garden sprayer, filled it with some diesel and used it to "spray" / rinse the inside out, put bung back and never looked back.

I agree with the comments to, "what to do with the residual fuel left in the Mr. Funnel??"

I just put mine back into the fuel container.