Need Help Avoiding Turning too Sharp with E12 Batwing Mower

/ Need Help Avoiding Turning too Sharp with E12 Batwing Mower
Eddie - I wouldn't drive it without one! My terrain is not all smooth. Its hilly and there can be some rather unevenness in the terrain. If you're not strapped in, you could very well get tossed about in the cab. Everyone I know here (and that's not saying much) wears a seatbelt.

There is at least one farmer in this area of Tennessee that dies from not having his seatbelt on every year here. I don't want to be that guy..

/ Need Help Avoiding Turning too Sharp with E12 Batwing Mower #23  
If you use a framing square how far back is your drawbar hole in relation to the end of your PTO shaft.
It is hard to say in your picture but it looks to me like your drawbar could be in the shorten position.
If you get under your tractor and look up at the drawbar it should be pined to the tractor in the front of the drawbar,
most drawbars have two holes to attach to the tractor if it will move back 6-8 inches that may take care of the issue.

/ Need Help Avoiding Turning too Sharp with E12 Batwing Mower #24  
Got my first 15’ Batwing about 24 years ago (Woods) I did turn too tight 1 or 2 times. Tight enough to take a few small chunks off my tires. Really ticked me off.
Once I saw that damage, it never happened again.

/ Need Help Avoiding Turning too Sharp with E12 Batwing Mower
Lou - I'll try to check out the drawbar position tomorrow..

/ Need Help Avoiding Turning too Sharp with E12 Batwing Mower #26  
Could you install some form of easily removed steering stops on the front axle to limit how tight you can turn? Something that can be installed and removed or adjusted as needed. I believe some tractors might even have stop bolts so can easily be changed.

/ Need Help Avoiding Turning too Sharp with E12 Batwing Mower #27  
I have the same tractor as you with a 20' batwing FM. Your problem is you have your wheels set too wide. I assume you need them there but that's the tradeoff. Mine are all the way in and I can turn as sharp as I need to and not contact my mower. I also have a CV joint on my PTO shaft as you may well have which allows for sharper turns. Get you a camera setup like I have so that you can watch the clearance as you turn and honestly with the way you are setup you will have to deal with what you have. I generally don't make sharp turns with mine but as has been said wide sweeping turns and catch it on the next pass. Good luck. You have some nice equipment. Don't tear it up.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Need Help Avoiding Turning too Sharp with E12 Batwing Mower #28  
If lengthening the drawbar can’t be done or help, here’s another suggestion from the peanut gallery:

IMG_2483.JPG

…but maybe extend the fenders a bit lower? 🤪

/ Need Help Avoiding Turning too Sharp with E12 Batwing Mower #29  
It’s supposed to be 14” from end of the PTO shaft to center of hitch pin for 540 PTOs and I think its 16” for 1000 RPM PTOs.

/ Need Help Avoiding Turning too Sharp with E12 Batwing Mower #30  
I had to just mentally train myself not to make tight turns when I first got my pull-type cutter. Now it's automatic.

Didn't hit my tires, but I looked back at the angle on the driveline and I said, 'yikes!'