Need Chipper/Shredder/mulcher for stringy material

/ Need Chipper/Shredder/mulcher for stringy material #1  

super55

Platinum Member
Tractor
Oliver Super55, John Deere 4310, John Deere 4400, Kubota L2500 (had),
I been looking for unit that essentially I want to use as a feed/silage chopper. So basically I will be running hay or cornstalks through it and then putting that into a pellet maker for animal feed. All the youtube vids I've watched nothing is showing a unit doing the task I want except china-made silage chopper units and those things have absolutely no service support or parts availability.

I've seen the echo bear cat units and they look pretty promising but all the vids only show shredding leaves.

Anybody have a unit that they shred sunflower stalks, cornstalks or even long stemmy weeds and can the unit can handle it as fast as you can feed it without clogging and creating more of a mulch like material instead of a chip style?

/ Need Chipper/Shredder/mulcher for stringy material #2  
I have a Troy Bilt (before MTD bought them out) that I basically grind up Alfalfa ( small squares ) a flake or two at a time and it really grinds it up into small 1/4" pieces. Depends on which shredder plate I use. I usually grind up 3~4 bales and spread it on my garden before I disk it up in the spring and fall.

/ Need Chipper/Shredder/mulcher for stringy material #3  
You looking for a PTO version or a stand alone? Which Bear Cat unit?? My Bush Hog one chips 4 inch logs, which are sent to through the shredder section. You can put on a medium or fine discharge screen depending on how fine you need the end pieces to be.

Attachments

• chipper shreader.jpg
    chipper shreader.jpg
    465 KB · Views: 18
   / Need Chipper/Shredder/mulcher for stringy material #4  
From your user info, you have plenty of horsepower on hand.

Get yourself a silage chopper. Around here, they sit in every farm yard. Wrapped round bales have taken most of the need away.

/ Need Chipper/Shredder/mulcher for stringy material #5  
You need a pto driven hammer mill with changeable screens. I occasionally see used ones for sale. After we bought larger tractors the H Farmall was used for amongst other things, a hammer mill. At 26 horsepower the governor often came in while feeding ear corn and alfalfa so that tells you the kind of engine you would need if you go that route. Look on Tractor House.

/ Need Chipper/Shredder/mulcher for stringy material
I've have searched for "retired" silage/feed choppers but all are too big and would require a forage wagon. I am looking more alone a type of unit that I could shred feed as needed.

I tried a stand alone chipper shredder once with different screens attached and the unit didn't work as well as I had hoped. Usually after only a minute or two the screens didn't want to seem to clean out and the process got considerably slower.

I've actually looked at hammer mills for a long time and think this might be the right tool for the job but have also seen small straw bale tub grinders and yard waste shredder/mulchers that look like they might be able to serve the purpose as well.