Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #202  
As we know, you would not use a steel chain to cut cement. Or would you?
Our property is mostly sand. We have approximately 10,000 honey locust trees. When you cut them, sparks fly. They are full of sand and grit. I can get just about 1 tank of gas out of one chain. I think I'd like to try a carbide tipped chain and see how it goes.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #203  
Our property is mostly sand. We have approximately 10,000 honey locust trees. When you cut them, sparks fly. They are full of sand and grit. I can get just about 1 tank of gas out of one chain. I think I'd like to try a carbide tipped chain and see how it goes.

There is no doubt that carbide tipped chains have their place. Your situation may well be one of them. However, they are certainly not faster than a properly sharpened steel chain under typical wood cutting conditions.

A professionally sharpened steel chain will outcut carbide or even new factory chains.

Agree in concept, but "professional" leaves a lot of room for interpretation. I've seen a lot of chain sharpened by someone "in the business" (either as a logger or in the sharpening business) that is really not up to snuff: either it doesn't cut very well, or it cuts incredibly well but just does not hold up (there is more to sharpening a chain than just making it aggressive). Likewise, an amateur can learn to meet or beat "out of the box" sharpness with just a little bit of time and guidance.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy.
Exactly. If Mark put a new steel chain on his saw he’d be blown away with the performance.

One thing you can say about this thread is that a lot of folks seem to be sure about other folk's experience.

Me: My chain is sharp.

Someone else: Probably not.

:)

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #205  
One thing you can say about this thread is that a lot of folks seem to be sure about other folk's experience.

Me: My chain is sharp.

Someone else: Probably not.

:)
You sure?? :ROFLMAO:

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #206  
Not picking sides. Just sharing some info from Stihl...
Enjoy!

What does that really prove? Yes it took it better but it’s still too destroyed for any more firewood cutting.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #207  
I think we are getting a little of the original post question of what chainsaw is best for an older guy

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #208  
OK I've been through most of the 200+ posts in this thread and I'm over 65, have a Farm Boss and do my own sharpening with the Stihl jig. I hope @N80 gets a saw he feels comfortable with and does what he needs it to do. For me, I will probably go with the Stihl 261. My question is does anyone want to weigh in on the benefit of using a Timberline chain sharpener?

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #209  
OK I've been through most of the 200+ posts in this thread and I'm over 65, have a Farm Boss and do my own sharpening with the Stihl jig. I hope @N80 gets a saw he feels comfortable with and does what he needs it to do. For me, I will probably go with the Stihl 261. My question is does anyone want to weigh in on the benefit of using a Timberline chain sharpener?

I have one. It’s not my preferred method because of it’s speed of use but it did work well.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #210  
I used the Timberline for a while, but found I couldn't get the grinding burr to consistently rest on the bottom of the chain. After a few sharpens, the undercut of the cutting tooth disappeared (Angle X), and came closer to a right angle over time.

saw chain angle.jpg

So I've gone back to using a file with the original file holder, and flat file with the depth gauge, which came with the Stihl 026 all those years ago.

That said, the Timberline is a clever bit of design for maintaining the teeth at the same length, so it's still in the tool kit.