Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #181  
I think your comparison to performance mods in cars is apt. I doubt they would pass emissions standards and certainly are louder. Surprisingly, they actually run cooler because more gas flows through. Woods port mods are milder than full race mods. You get the power of a bigger saw, but not the weight. I think a woods ported saw would be as reliable as a stock saw.

I would recommend that you pose your question on the Arborist site's Hot Saws section. There are good folks on that forum (just like TBN) who will be happy to give you advice.

Modded Work Saws

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy.
Thanks. My son-in-law’s older brother is deep into modding saws. Does a lot of it himself. Stihl only as far as I know. I can talk to him as well. But in all probability I won’t go down that rabbit hole. I will probably see him tomorrow so I’ll see what his thoughts are.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #183  
Have your son in law's older brother bring some of his modded saws over for you to try!

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #184  
Here is the progression

• Buy a consumer grade saw
  • Buy a professional grade saw
  • Add a modded muffler
  • Have it Woods Ported
  • Get an alcohol burning / expansion chamber model

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #185  
Then this:

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #186  
If I could ever find one of these, I'd buy it in a minute - the Solo TWIN Chainsaw. Not fast by today's standards, but nothing else sounds like it!

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy.
Hah hah. We've gone from just sharpen your existing saw for once all the way to two man saws with motorcycle engines.

I love TBN.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #188  
The video of the guy cutting with the ported saw is a little bit staged. I cut large rounds in half like that to get up on my splitter. I don’t know why but the wood cuts much easier like that, I’ve seen it called noodling. If your chain is sharp you get long shavings.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #189  
I guess this is catching...

I have 3 saws 2 modded Husky 350's with different bars plus dads old Promac 70cc, and just decided to to play "build a saw" over the winter with one of the Farmertec 660 clones for the bigger stuff if needed. Haven't received the parts kit yet- but should be nice to have the power a 92cc saw can provide.
Never got much into putting puzzle pictures or cross word puzzles together, But an erector set, yeah that sounds fun

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #190  
Here’s a 500i full comp square running a 36” light weight bar

Then one of my 395’s running a 36 with a fresh a little bit on the grabby side on the undercut square chain as well.

I’d rather pack the 500i any day of the week but if I needed to make money with only one saw everyday I’d pickup a 395 even over a Stihl 066/660/661 they’re a better saw all around.