Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #221  
Did you ever try a modded saw from your son in laws older brother? I know you're not buying a new saw, but you really should see the difference modding makes.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #222  
I know.

I tried all the logical gymnastics that I could to justify a bigger saw but in the end being a lazy Scottish tightwad prevailed.

But, one of these days I’ll sharpen the chain on the MS 271. Maybe that will help.
Sometimes you just need to screw the logistics and get what feels good. Cheap labor is fine too though.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy.
Did you ever try a modded saw from your son in laws older brother? I know you're not buying a new saw, but you really should see the difference modding makes.
I have not pursued that. I guess it seems like modding a MS 271 is kind of like modding a Ford Escape or a Nissan Sentra. However, I did watch a video that compared larger home-owner models and the MS 271 was the more powerful among the group.

I'll have to ask him and see what he says. Wonder what the chances are that he might mess it up? As far as I know he hasn't messed any of his up but so far he only mods larger pro saws.

Sometimes you just need to screw the logistics and get what feels good. Cheap labor is fine too though.
Oh I know. I got the bug. And using my son-in-laws big saw was not as intimidating as I was expecting. But I've got time. We'll see how things go.

Continuing off topic, I have never minded splitting wood. Kind of enjoy it. Granted, I’ve never spent hours or days on end doing it but a morning or afternoon of splitting wood is fairly pleasant. Knotty, twisty stuff excluded…..of course.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #226  
I enjoy it also. I’ve been retired about 2 years now. I spent the first few months splitting wood. Maybe only an hour or two at a time. That’s the beauty of retirement, no schedule and work when and as long as you feel like it. Truth is you spend more time handling the wood than actually splitting it.
AA2F5E90-FBC0-446A-A051-FBC127A424F1.jpeg

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #228  
I hand split 6-8 cords a year for 25+ years and finally treated myself to an electric 16 ton wood splitter about 10 years ago
No loud racket, no fumes and no sweat!
And, yes there is way more wood handling than splitting.

Not having to split a lot of wood I have had the luxury of not needing a log splitter. In fact, I don’t use wedges or a maul. I use my axe. An old Plumb felling axe that was my dad’s. My son-in-law tells me it’s not good for the edge to use a felling axe that way. I don’t care. I’m fairly good at it (one of very few things I have any talent for) and I enjoy a strong blow and a split log.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #230  
I used to use wedges and/or a maul. While pretty minor I’ve had shoulder problems and splitting wood made it worse. IF the wood was straight grained, I could probably keep up with a hydraulic splitter. The problems is the twisted stuff. I was stubborn and would split that stuff also.